FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DONE!!! Store bought corned beef brisket

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cured Meat Recipes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TonyMo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24 13 4:17 am    Post subject: DONE!!! Store bought corned beef brisket Reply with quote

So, I saw these in the grocery store the other day and picked up a couple.

The instructions of the back say to just put it in a pot, cover it with water and boil it for 2-3 hours until done. Shocked

The end result I am looking for is Montreal Smoked Meat and I am looking for some suggestions.

Since this is already "corned" or "cured" my plan is to unwrap and soak the meat for a few hours. Then add the Montreal Steak Spice to the outside and put it on the smoker at 225F until it reaches 140F internal temp. Then take it off and finish it by steaming it in a colander above a pot of boiling water until reaches 160F. Then slice it across the grain, rye bread, mustard, dill pickle on the side and call it lunch. Very Happy
The rest I will slice, vacuum pack and freeze.
Or am I way off base here?
Should I just leave it in the smoker and do it "low and slow" until it is done and forget about the steam part?

Should I use hickory for the smoke?

I am open to your suggestions

Last edited by TonyMo on Tue Apr 09 13 8:35 am; edited 2 times in total
1MoreFord
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24 13 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never had Montreal smoked meat so I may be off base too.

I'd soak the meat for a day and change the water 2 or 3 times.

Cooking to only 160° will result in a tough piece of meat. You will want it very thinly sliced to be pleasantly edible. (Of course since I've never had Montreal smoked meat that may be the way it is.) If you want it more tender you'll want to finish it to more like 200° or a bit more.

I've heard Montreal meat and Pastrami are similar and know that good deli Pastrami gets smoked to a point and then steamed to finish so that may be the best plan but then again good BBQ Brisket gets smoked all the way to the end although a wrapping in foil or butcher paper is sometimes done.

Until I've tried some Montreal smoke meat that's the best advice I can offer.
TonyMo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03 13 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I soaked them overnight, sprinkled on the Montreal spice and hickory smoked them to 192 F internal.
TURNED OUT AWESOME!!!
Sorry but no "plate" photo. Too busy eating.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cured Meat Recipes All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: