FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Random acts of BBQ

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tim_Abrahamson
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07 13 10:32 pm    Post subject: Random acts of BBQ Reply with quote

I took some BBQ over to my neighbor yesterday for no other reason than to be neighborly. I also throw a big BBQ for all my neighbors, all they need to bring is their beverages. (ok, some insist on bringing something so I suggest a salad or desert!) This got me to wonder'n...

Who here practices random acts of BBQ in their neighborhood? What do you do?

Oklahoma Joe Longhorn
Big Green Egg
Former Pitmaster Gates and Sons BBQ (KC)
k.c.hawg
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07 13 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My neighbor has followed my lead and turned smoking and Qing into a hobby and leisure activity. He had a smoker and turned out some good Q but about 5 years ago he started asking a lot of questions and I passed on things I had learned and pointed him towards resources. He has really stepped up his game and turns out some excellent stuff. We kick it on each others decks when one of us is cooking. When you get to be our age any excuse to stay up 8 hours past our normal bed time drinking beer is always a good thing. Last night he hung out over here until about 2:30 sitting in front of the Chiminea drinking cold beers and smelling the Butt and Ribs taking on the Hickory. Another guy a couple of doors down loves to talk smoking and he has an off set that he fires up quite a bit. I guess my random act is more of sharing what I've learned over 35 years of cooking and getting others interested.

As far as cooking for others I used to occasionally take brisket or pulled pork to a bar that I frequented. It was a great little bar located 50' outside the door of the AT&T building I worked at. It was always rewarding to see how appreciative the folks were when realizing after having a few happy hour beers on a Friday afternoon that free brisket or pulled pork sammies were being served.
30" Masterbuilt Digital
UDS (Named Uddley by Mrs K.C.)
Weber 26.75 One Touch
Weber 22.5 Silver Touch
Weber Smokey Joe
Superfast Red Thermopen
Razorback born and bred!

Last edited by k.c.hawg on Sun Apr 07 13 11:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jarhead
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07 13 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great subject Tim.
I've never had one at my place, due mainly to the fact I don't have enough restroom facilities to take care of 50+ people.
I have gone to the VFW/American Legion and done BBQ's. Those usually generate income for the Post involved. I like their idea of bring a dish and get a free plate or pay what you can afford.
Troy (TrailerBuilder) has hosted several. Last year I had the honor of attending.
This thread will get interesting and give everybody some new ideas.
Thanks Tim

Jarhead's World Blog
KCBS CBJ & HMFIC Debbie's Q Shack

Last edited by Jarhead on Sun Apr 07 13 10:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
T00lman
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07 13 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when I cook I always cook xtra for a few of the older folks in the neighborhood and I do there snow , magicly bottles of jack daniels apear on my porch .

don,t cook for the booze (altho I,ll never turn it away) just believe in karma plus I reallyi enjoy cooking and snowblowing.
#37 liar
1 wsm 18 1/2
1wsm 22 1/2
1buckie
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07 13 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We do up a feed every last Sunday of the month & invite a bunch of folks to my friends place.....
They have a huge yard w/ a pool in back for the hotter months & we gather up people from recovery homes & such & show 'em how to have fun minus the face-plant....... Laughing

Also feed my extended family & neighbors at random intervals.......
Gettin' the older ones to eat something is sometimes a bit of a challenge, my dad would always chow hard when I brought BBQ over !!!

One of my favorite ones was the only place around that sold Wicked Good at the time....took him some 'turds & other apps. just 'cause I got to talkin' to him & he's a good guy that used to work for Weber......the next time I went in, he gave me 2 for 1 unexpectedly !!!!
It's gonna say on my tombstone: Died of thick, heavy sauces ~~~~>K
" The Creepy Guy Down the Street With All The Webers"
Canadian Bacon
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08 13 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every long weekend my neighbors know to start poking their heads over the fence when they smell smoke... Very Happy Very Happy
I always bring care packages down to my local watering hole on the weekends. Very Happy ...I would sooner share it with friends than wrap it up and
let it sit in the freezer for a month.

Italian Skewer and myself always bring in BBQ for some of the guys we work with...they always like that. Very Happy
Napoleon Legend Gasser
20"& 26" Discada
Two of the fastest Thermapens ever made ... Black& Blue
LIAR #25
Rinngrizz
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08 13 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems over the few yrs I have been doing Q, I've taken more of KC hawgs route. Money for extra meat and such isn't just laying around, especially now as a newly married couple and looking to buy our first home, but,,,,,,,, that has never stopped me from building buddies a UDS or lending my tools, time, garage space and knowledge from past screw ups, to a friend looking to Get into the addiction. Stayed up last night waaayyyy too late sitting, drinking, and talking about future builds and Q with a buddy. Had to explain to the wife that I was doing a burn out of the dreaded red liner and wanted to make sure it got torched real good..... Like 11 hrs good......

Modified ECB
UDS
Manana
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08 13 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My husband takes some into work with him when we do a bunch and we have people over sometimes however I don't live in a neighborhood and my closest neighbors, who occasionally stumble through my front yard drunk when they are walking to town, are about 1/2 a mile a way and I really don't want them to feel like they can stop by any time. Shocked
The artist formerly known as Liar #95
(until beertooth whined) NOW Liar #96
Char-Griller Smokin Pro w/SFB
Char-Griller Akorn Kamado
BUGSnBBQ
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08 13 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good thread Tim!

My wife works with people who have severe mental disabilities. Here in Georgia the state has closed down the 'mental institutions' and privatized the care of people by putting them in homes (3-5 people per house). The boss lady has three houses that cares for 10 people. Every couple of months she hosts a 'Family Day' where everyone gets together for a cookout - and I'm the cook. It's a great way for all the family members to get together and see their loved ones. Anywhere from 30-100+ people show up and it can be a ton of work as it's mostly grilled stuff (and them boys can EAT! Laughing )
The Matt Ryan of LIARS! (#2)

I had the RIGHT to remain silent, I just didn't have the ABILITY.

Support your 2nd Amendment RIGHT. Criminals prefer unarmed victims.
Awning Guy
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08 13 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We host a Pig Roast annually, last year we had 90 family and friends. Also, during the Summer we have the family over after church and always invite a friend or neighbor over for Q or Pizza.
Disco
Wynnebear
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09 13 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In our neighborhood we do what we call "Smokin Sunday" Once a month on the second sunday. Anybody who cares to brings over their meat of choice. Some know how they want it prepped some have no clue and I help them and get it prepped properly. Some people pitch in a little for wood. I get up at 4 am and fire up some wood and it is usually 9 pm before the last piece of BBQ Love comes off. Over time time it has spread to family of neighbors, coworkers and of course my family. I have my big 500 gallon and now my new patio smoker. It is looking like I may need them both this weekend. Makes for a fun Sunday of friendship and great conversations. It is also funny how out of town family will schedule there visits on the second sunday of the month.

Rob
CharGriller Duo #5050
Smoky Mountian Gas
Fastest Black/Flames Thermapen
cadmaster
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09 13 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I typically bbq for all my friends/families birthdays, and also most entertainment holidays (4th july, labor day, etc).. 15+ people.. after learning how to smoke meat, i built a pergola in my backyard for entertaining them

Every friday night i have steak night for my inner circle, bout 10 of us.. kids ride 4 wheelers, we hang out.. good times
PitBully
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09 13 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, people around me are very confined to their selves. I guess I've become that way as well. Also, my neighbor behind me hates that I grill/smoke. She once told me to move my grill farther away from her property....the nerve!
"H" Redhead Weber OTS
Simpsons Smokey Joe Silver
Sam Adams Smokey Joe Silver
Grey Smokey Joe Gold (future mini-WSM)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: