FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lucky 7 the result of over 30,000 hours of sweat equity

View previous topic :: View next topic  
qfanatic01
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26 13 4:31 pm    Post subject: Lucky 7 the result of over 30,000 hours of sweat equity Reply with quote

We are celebrating our 7th anniversary on Black Friday. How did we get this far? I started working 90 hours a week between remodeling this place and working 50 hours as a Consultant at someone elses place. A month after we opened that job was done and my family braced to eat left overs for a couple of years while we built our business up. My family made some huge sacrifices to get this place going. Now I only work 80 hours most weeks.

For a smoker I started with a small chip smoker. It's not just about Texas sized smoke. Do the best you can with what you have and evolve when you can!!! Use the best meats (choice or better beef etc.) and ingredients possible. You can make food into garbage but you can't make garbage into food, to succeed you can't afford to do either. Make or use good tasting rubs and sauces to enhance and support what you can do with your smoker. Make your sides as good as your meats and sauces. Make everything add up to the best around and keep working on making it better. In order to succeed you will need to always be a student of BBQ. We took a big step up when I bought a catering trailer, put a SP500 in it and set it up in the parking lot outside the back door until I could afford to buy and put 2 SPs through the wall of my kitchen. I would have driven that catering trailer back and forth from storage on a daily basis if that was what it would of taken to work around the city ordinances. They gave me a temporary variance so I didn't have to. I now have 7 SPs in my collection and 5 chip smokers which we still use for pulled chicken and holding ovens. I am staged to open a second store when the right opportunity presents itself, am building a food truck and have three mobile smokers for off premise and competition.

This isn't a get rich quick deal, but if your willing to do the time there are opportunities to make something in the long run. We have been debt free for 3 years now. Aside from the 40k I borrowed from my cousin we have paid for our growth with no assistance. I have invested Over 30,000 hours of sweat equity in the 8 years since I started the menu design and search for a location for our new BBQ Joint. For those of you who want to open a BBQ Joint, be ready for a new chapter in your life that will present more challenges then probably the rest of your life to this point.

I have been in the restaurant business since the 70's and attended 2 schools on the subject, including the CIA. I have worked at nearly 20 restaurants including the opening of 6, working with hundreds of interesting people. This is my 2nd successful restaurant in 20 years.

A special thanks to my wife and partner.

This forum is an awesome resource, thank you SoEzzy
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26 13 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are welcome, without the contributions of posters on all sections, the forum would not be the place it is!

I still work here!
ExperiencedRookie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27 13 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats! Your success is well deserved!
Ridge View BBQ
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28 13 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow this post deserves a lot more attention ! Anyone who has been there done that, will agree that 7 years and thriving is an amazing feat. I didn't notice your post till today myself Charlie (too busy working myself ) keep up the good work. Success has very little to do with luck and a lot to do with sweat!
Wells Cargo 20' Concession Trailer w/porch 24"
Cat797
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28 13 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations Charlie.......

One of these days I'm going to take the "Northern BBQ" tour; you, Harry, and Mr. Tony's. Laughing

Keep up the good work and try to get some sleep!

Cheers,
Ed
Weber 22.5 Performer
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28 13 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats Charlie.

I know that It's been an awfully rough road at times....
bjbbq

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28 13 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats!
Mr Tony's BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29 13 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats!!
Going on year 4 of vending and catering, can only hope I make it to year 7 without working myself to death!!!
Your an inspiration!!
Being Blessed with income from my passion!
WWW.MRTONYSBBQ.COM
MikeJack

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01 13 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations on your success and Thank You for always sharing info to those of us just beginning our journey...JB
markgerickson

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01 13 1:16 pm    Post subject: congrats Reply with quote

Congrats. Was nice to meet you last summer. I am loving the trailer i purchased from you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Commercial BBQ All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: