FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hatch Chile Salsa

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Griffin
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15 13 10:43 pm    Post subject: Hatch Chile Salsa Reply with quote

Hatch Chiles have arrived here in Dallas...or they did last week. I've never cooked with them and while I've had food with them in them, have never totally understood the whole craze over them. I think part of it has to be that it is one great marketing ploy, but I'll reserve my judgement until I play around with them a bit. So I picked up a bunch of them yesterday. $0.99 a lb ain't too shabby of a deal, IMHO. Figured a good charred salsa would be a great way to play around with them for the first time. Got all my veggies together, grabbed a cold drink and headed to sit by the Egg. I thought I had it stabilized around 500, but it shot up to 575ish. No biggie, just close it down a bit and throw on the veggies anyway.

Took about 10-15 mintues to get all the veggies good and charred up

I put the chiles in a bowl and covered them with plastic wrap so the skins would sweat and fall right off. The rest of the veggies got roughly chopped and thrown in a food processor. Once the chiles had cooled a bit, I removed the skins and veins and seeds (reserving some of the seeds in case it wasn't hot enough). I started off using 3 of the chiles. I had no idea where the heat level would be, so I didn't want to use all 5. You can always add more, but you can't take out any. I also ended up only using 1.5 of the limes. In addition, I used 3 tbsp of roughly chopped cilantro and salt and pepper to taste

Came out pretty tasty. Not as hot as I usally like my salsa, so I added some extra seeds. Better. The burn from the chiles was different than I was used to. Seemed to be a front of the mouth burn, versus back or throat. And it didn't linger for very long. Quick and short. Still not sure what all the fuss is about with these chiles. I don't think salsa was the best way to evaluate them with so many other flavors, but it sure was tasty. Mrs. G goes out of town Friday and I've already got some ideas of what I am going to cook using some more of them that night.
1buckie
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16 13 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Show Griffin !!!

We got Hatches way up here last year....some special deal with one of the local grocery chains......

I found not so much of any kind of a 'chile burn' as just a different flavor than most other mild ones I've tried....
I really liked it, personally.....

I did lunker-sized 'Turds with them & there was a small issue with the tougher than most skins, but if they went long & low enough, it worked out OK.........
It's gonna say on my tombstone: Died of thick, heavy sauces ~~~~>K
" The Creepy Guy Down the Street With All The Webers"
Griffin
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16 13 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank 1buckie. If that store gets them again, now is the time. They only come around for about one month a year.

Unfamiliar with the term lunker sized turds, but I've made big abts with Anaheim peppers before. Supposedly Ahaheims came from the Hatch seeds but are grown in Anaheim.
1buckie
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16 13 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happened to go by that store today & they got 'em in again !!!

Maybe try out your salsa or some other concoction this time..... Very Happy

Lunker 'Turds ~~~>

http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=60109&highlight=lunker+turds
Griffin
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17 13 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I made lunker turds before with Anaheims and didn't even know it. I just called them Giant ABTs

IN a less than brillant moment, I once made habanero ABTs. Not the smartest thing I ever done did.
1buckie
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17 13 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's the ticket !!!

Them's LUNKERS !!!!

Here's a habanero one that's do-able ~~~>

(with blueberries)

http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=59596&highlight=blueberry+habanero

& you can soak the peppers in Sprite (soda pop) for a few hours after cutting / cleaning & the heat will ratchet way down & leave the flavor, not trying to twist your arm, just a way you can go about it if you like the flavor, not the heat...... Cool

PS: Some people like the strained Sprite, after use, for a drink spritzer.....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Grilling All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: