FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Opinions on new smoker I'm looking at?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blue_Eyes_Smoke

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01 13 5:54 am    Post subject: Opinions on new smoker I'm looking at? Reply with quote

Was hoping to get some feedback on this smoker. It's an "A1-Competition" model originally sold by Custom Pits and Fabrication out of Georgia. The gentleman who is selling it is apparently a reseller and he has some additional modifications (the stack on the smoking chamber is larger, a dampner from the smoking chamber to the grill/warming box on the side, etc). He's asking $2,150. I think it looks nice and I contacted two folks who purchased that model and they seem happy with it. Gotta love the chrome stacks on the warming box. I added links to the images because I think they are over the size limit. So what do you think?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-BBQ-Smoker-on-trailer-Grill-on-back-Propane-Cooker-on-side-GREAT-DEAL-/281070841153?pt=BI_Commercial_Ovens_Ranges&hash=item417120ad41

Last edited by Blue_Eyes_Smoke on Wed Jun 05 13 3:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Mike Lawry
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01 13 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Links dont work for me.

Mike Lawry.
Jarhead
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01 13 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Lawry wrote:
Links dont work for me.

x2

Jarhead's World Blog
KCBS CBJ & HMFIC Debbie's Q Shack
lantern
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01 13 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-BBQ-Smoker-on-trailer-Grill-on-back-Propane-Cooker-on-side-GREAT-DEAL-/281070841153?pt=BI_Commercial_Ovens_Ranges&hash=item417120ad41

Trying to help.

Hope it's the one he was trying to post
Blue_Eyes_Smoke

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05 13 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks lantern! I edited my op to include the link to the ebay item instead.
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05 13 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue_Eyes_Smoke, there are some things I do not care for. For the price I would add a bit to the till and go for a Bubba.
I hope this helps, and as always these are just my thoughts. Very Happy

Hybrid Cooker
Blue_Eyes_Smoke

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05 13 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice kam. Been having trouble finding a bubba/lang/dpp anywhere near my price range so far. Anything in particular that I should be careful with when looking at trailer rf cookers?
fire&soul bbq

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06 13 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the earlier model with the two stacks. Bought it 2 years ago, be happy to chat with ya about the cooker. Also would love to hear K.A.M. thoughts and expertise on his reservations about the cooker
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06 13 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fire&soul bbq wrote:
I have the earlier model with the two stacks. Bought it 2 years ago, be happy to chat with ya about the cooker. Also would love to hear K.A.M. thoughts and expertise on his reservations about the cooker

The cooker may work fine I have no idea. I do not care for the open ends on the grates made of tubing, square them up and weld them shut. The upper intake on the firebox is a no go for me, if the cooker is set up properly that is not needed. The light weight seals around the firebox door spells leaks if the firebox is overheated. There is not enough interior photos to say whether the cooker is set up properly so I will say maybe so.
The fact that the owner of this cooker asked for extra exhaust brings up the question why? I suspect that the design is flawed from the get go.
These are just my thoughts on the readings of the post. Very Happy

Hybrid Cooker
fire&soul bbq

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06 13 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

k.a.m. u are spot on. The side firebox grate is too high in relation to cook chamber. The grate has buckled and come apart on the backside and the back section of the fire box has come apart. The cooker uses way too much fuel in my not at all expertise. I paid$1950 for mine and I've gotten my money's worth out of her. That being said, wish it was more fuel efficient
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06 13 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank You fire&soul bbq. I can usually spot things in a build that I do not care for. These are just my opinions as not every ones take on a good cooker is the same.

Hybrid Cooker
fish&q
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06 13 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found my Lang 60 & my Bubba grill by being patient and found them both on Craig's list. There is a big difference between the Lang 60 & the BG250 I"m very happy with both but for different reasons. There's a couple of pit makers in South Fla but be careful. If you would like to take a look at my cookers let me know maybe that will help you make a decision
Meadow Creek chicken cooker
fire&soul bbq

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07 13 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

k.a.m. appreciate your sharing of your knowledge and ideas. Your words of advice and encouragement on this site are always welcome. I think if I lose the grate in the firebox and go with some sort of modified charcoal basket the cooker would perform better. Thanks, Mule
Blue_Eyes_Smoke

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07 13 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a bunch k.a.m. and fire&soul for your feedback. As a result I've decided to hold off until I can put together the dough to pick up a DPP/Lang/Bubba. Since I need something for competition that is more consistent than my el-cheapo offset (my second pro cook is coming up at the end of the month) I went out and bought a WSM 22.5 (broke it in with two chickens last night and I'll be posting a thread about some things I noticed shortly). I'll probably also pick up a used 18.5 and that should suffice for the next month or two.

fish&q: I'm definitely going to take you up on that offer soon. Really appreciate it.
fish&q
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09 13 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any time you want to see them let know. But if you just want a cooker just for comps bigger is not always better
Meadow Creek chicken cooker
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: