FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Southern Pride SC-200

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wilburh

PostPosted: Jun 12 2013    Post subject: Southern Pride SC-200 Reply with quote

I picked up one of these a few years ago and have cooked some pretty good stuff - one or two pieces at the time. A problem exists when I load the cooker greater than half full in that the "humidity" prevents complete combustion of the wood chips. Sure, some smoke is generated but crossing the line produces cooked meat rather than cooked and smoked meat. Any suggestions short of jury rigging an external chip box?
Jarhead
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Jun 12 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard Wilburh. You finally came out of the closet, I see. Wink Laughing
I've never cooked on a SP, but from the looks of it, it is much like a CookShack Electric Smoker.
They are well insulated and pretty much a sealed unit. Well close anyway.
My Fast Eddy FEC-100 is the same way. I just open the door and dump some of the humidity out every 30 to 60 minutes.
Hope that helps. Take some pics for us. We love em.
There is a "Mailbox Mod", but I wouldn't want to cut a hole in MY cooker.
It's a mailbox and an A-maze-n Pellet Smoker with a metal dryer connector/vent hose. Holes cut in both for connection of the hose.
You might even add one of the Pellet Smokers inside of your smoker. Works great on the FEC and my MES.
BTW, I have the 18" Tube Smoker.

http://www.amazenproducts.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=12

Jarhead's World Blog
KCBS CBJ & HMFIC Debbie's Q Shack
wilburh

PostPosted: Jun 13 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice!

I too will resist cutting holes in my box as long as possible. Thinking about installing an "evacuation" fan on the smokestack that's just enough to pull a little fresh air through the drain hole. It seems that the chip burner has enough mustard to burn the chips in spite of the humidity but loses to the lack of oxygen. I'm thinking this because the chips (each and every one) convert to charcoal rather than ashes. I figure I'll wire the fan to run only when the chip burners run - should be an easy mod. The problem is finding a fan that will perform in those conditions and not obstruct the smokestack when not running. Could be that the main heating coil has enough power to hold temperature for the duration if the forced air is minimal. I don't cook enough to worry about the inefficiency.

Alternatively, I could get a few of those things you mentioned. I get SOME smoke just not enough. SOME smoke, in multiples, could add up to enough.
wilburh

PostPosted: Jun 21 2013    Post subject: May have a solution Reply with quote

Working on an "eductor" made from a soup can and a gallon can. I'm thinking if I make a tee of the two cans, slip the soup can over the stack and blow a desk fan through the gallon can it will create a slight negative pressure...pulling a little fresh air in the grease hole to give the chips enough oxygen to support combustion. Cheap enough to try if I don't set my cooker on fire with too much air on the chip boxes.
Jarhead
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Jun 21 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a bad feeling on the fan idea due to increased oxygen supply. You want the chips/pellets to smolder, not burn
I'm not familiar with the SC-200. Any intake vents, chip loading trays? In other words, where does the fresh air come in at? Picture? Drawing?

Jarhead's World Blog
KCBS CBJ & HMFIC Debbie's Q Shack
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: