FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Building a cubicle offset smoker. Questions on my design.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Supercontinent

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04 12 11:18 pm    Post subject: Building a cubicle offset smoker. Questions on my design. Reply with quote

So here is the deal. I am planning an cubicle offset smoker. I used the calculator and It seems to work on that level. But I see almost all offsets are cylindrical. My design was to be basically two boxes welded together. The cooking box will be 48" wide. 30" tall and 30" deep. Then the fire box will be 24" wide 24" tall and 30" deep. My question is: Is this a efficient design? I know the flow would probably be better in a cylindrical type. But this is what I would like to build. Does anyone else have a smoker of this type? Thanks for your help!
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05 12 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A rectangular cooker will work fine. Possibly better than a cylyndrical in that it is uniform, haven't seen any research on this tho. Most cookers are cylyndrical, in my belief and in part, because part of the work is already done as opposed to starting from scratch. Also...most cylindrical pits are from scrap tanks and pipe whereas, rarely is enough scrap plate large enough for a continous surface available and an all new plate build gets expensive. Go for it and post pics! Welcome to the Ring! Very Happy
Supercontinent

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05 12 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply! Now my next question. Should I use 1/4" plate throughout? I see alot of people using old propane cylinders. Not sure the thickness of those. I live in South Dakota so the winters can be pretty harsh. But I will be using this year around. Thicker is better for heat retention I understand. But am I overkilling it by using 1/4"? Also this won't be on a trailer. I will have to move it to my house. So lighter is obviously better. But not at the expense of performance in my eyes.
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05 12 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Supercontinent wrote:
Thanks for your reply! Now my next question. Should I use 1/4" plate throughout? I see alot of people using old propane cylinders. Not sure the thickness of those. I live in South Dakota so the winters can be pretty harsh. But I will be using this year around. Thicker is better for heat retention I understand. But am I overkilling it by using 1/4"? Also this won't be on a trailer. I will have to move it to my house. So lighter is obviously better. But not at the expense of performance in my eyes.

Absolutely 1/4", no less really, regardless of where you live. Some propane tanks down south are 3/16" body, .199 end cap but 1/4" is prefered even on those. My thought is they are less prone to wind. Yours, yup, 1/4" no less. Are you not building it at your house? There are ways to make them somewhat mobile.
Supercontinent

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05 12 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am building it about 20 miles from my house. My ladies family owns a metal fab shop. So I will have access to about anything I would need to move it and load it. Its the unloading part. Probably some beer and a call to a few friends will get it unloaded. I plan on building a cart of sorts for it to sit on and so I can move it if I absolutely need to. Unless you have any clever ideas. Thanks again! [/quote]
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05 12 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing clever per se but...unless an absolute permanent location will be held, most backyard offsets of the size you are building need to be moved either frequently or once in awhile be it mowing, cleaning the garage, etc. so... some sort of mobilty is almost a must and desired. Many on here and I will cite Trailerbuilders as I am familiar with his work, use wheels on legs at the firebox. Trailerbuilder has some nice steel wagon wheel type. My builds are usually quite large as far as "Backyarder" goes so if I know the location will be a grass backyard, I install 4 leg transpo using 10" pnuematic wheels. If going on a slab, 600LB rated caster wheels on the 4 corners. It it will have a permanent home...some out of the way but accessible handles would be nice in the case it just has to be moved. Otherwise, sure, just get some dollys / rolling frame and a few strong backs for the move. Smile
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05 12 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Supercontinent, your cooker will work fine. The only real advantage of a cylindrical chamber in my opinion is if your cooker sweats the moisture stands a better chance of moving down the side rather than dripping on your meat.

Hybrid Cooker
Supercontinent

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05 12 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great advice guys! Thank you! I will be messaging to pick your brains some more when the design progresses.
Seminole

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06 12 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Round or rectangular? As Wreckless has pointed out many designs are cylindrical because the drums are round. Almost every person I know, myself included, has owned a drum smoker.
We have problems figuring out the flow of smoke because we cannot see it. However, smoke behaves like water and now the concept becomes easier to follow. Think of a river flowing down, what happens when there is a large boulder in the middle? Or what happens when the stream makes a sharp turn or hits the wall? Smoke will behave in the same manner.
In a rectangular chamber you get corners so obviously some smoke and moisture will remain there unless the top of a vertical smoker has some conical shape. Otherwise it makes not much difference.
As you live in a cold climate I would built a double walled unit with some good insulation in between the walls. If you plan on burning wood, I would insulate the firebox as well.
Smoking is easy, but maintaining cooking temperature is hard.
Your dimensions 48 x 30 x 30 are fine for barbecuing, grilling, cooking etc. If you think of smoking sausages make your unit taller. Maybe change dimensions to 30 x 30 x 48. A sausage can be 20" long, plus 4" hanging loop, there is not much room left. Keep in mind that most unburnt smoke particles plus accumulating moisture have tendency to remain in the upper part of a smoker. It is not the ideal spot for the meat to be in. It is best to place a smoke stick about 3" below the top of the chamber.
If you are not going to do sausages the height is fine.
smootz
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06 12 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure I can agree totally to the water/smoke analogy.
There may be some similarities but I don't think it can be compared that simplistically.
Supercontinent

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07 12 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im back already. So now as my design progresses. I have more questions of course. I will start with this.
Damper size. I will need two 6" round dampers. But dampers don't open to let in the full 6" of air in. I was thinking of using traditional style dampers like you would see on most charcoal grills. . So are these dampers going to be fine? And where can I get high quality ones? Most I have found look pretty flimsy.

Also, the opening I need from the firebox to the cook chamber needs to be around 140 sq.in. If i cut a 25" x 5 1/2" rectangle that will give me what I need I think. With a half inch lip left under the cut so the top of cut will be 6" above the bottom. Now can I put the baffle plate directly above the cut? which will give me a 6" cavity. Or should the cavity be taller?

Thanks!
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08 12 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Supercontinent wrote:
Im back already. So now as my design progresses. I have more questions of course. I will start with this.
Damper size. I will need two 6" round dampers. But dampers don't open to let in the full 6" of air in. I was thinking of using traditional style dampers like you would see on most charcoal grills. . So are these dampers going to be fine? And where can I get high quality ones? Most I have found look pretty flimsy.

Also, the opening I need from the firebox to the cook chamber needs to be around 140 sq.in. If i cut a 25" x 5 1/2" rectangle that will give me what I need I think. With a half inch lip left under the cut so the top of cut will be 6" above the bottom. Now can I put the baffle plate directly above the cut? which will give me a 6" cavity. Or should the cavity be taller?

Thanks!

Super...I say build your own dampers, eh? C'mon bro Cool Laughing
loneroyalsfan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15 12 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

supercontinent, i have built a few offset cubicle smokers. here is a link to one of them. it's a little smaller than what you are talking about, but same concept. i have also built a cubicle offset that was 48"x24"x24". let me know if you have any questions.
http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=50034&highlight=
Supercontinent

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25 13 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies Wreckless and Loneroyalsfan! I have been off the ring for a bit. My ladies family business started on fire Sad So the build got shut down for a bit. But no one was hurt and they are almost finished rebuilding. Wreckless you are right. I will make my own inlet. Don't know what I was thinking.

I like a lot of things about that smoker Lone. Thanks for sparking some more ideas!

My cooker has changed a bit. It is going to be a little smaller. Now I am going with 30" tall, 24" deep, and 40" long. The firebox will be a 24" cube. Thanks for your help everyone!
Maniac
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25 13 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry to hear about the fire...just glad no one was hurt.
Supercontinent

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15 13 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey all, I am happy to report that the fire cleanup is finished and after rebuilding 2/3rds of their shop, they are running as normal again.

So since that is finished I have started my first build. We have a couple days in and have made pretty good progress. Here are some photos of the progress so far. Any input is appreciated and encouraged! Thanks!

She knows her way around a grinder.

End of day 1. Time for a brew.

And that's how far we are for now!

That's it so far.

Last edited by Supercontinent on Mon Apr 15 13 3:39 am; edited 1 time in total
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15 13 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Supercontinent, very nice work your cooker is looking fantastic. Very Happy
Your pics are to big and SoEzzy will remove them. They need to be no larger than 640 x 480.

Hybrid Cooker
Maniac
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15 13 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks like your off and running . it is coming together nicely. glad to see you got rebuilt.

ps your pics are to big ...the bear is going to turn them into links Crying or Very sad

kam your to quick
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15 13 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maniac wrote:
looks like your off and running . it is coming together nicely. glad to see you got rebuilt.

ps your pics are to big ...the bear is going to turn them into links Crying or Very sad

kam your to quick

Just happened to be taking a break from welding Brother. Wink Very Happy

Hybrid Cooker
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15 13 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watch out or the bear will getcha!

k.a.m. and maniac you're both too quick.

Supercontinent please read PMPNLT650pxOTLS! because I am the Bear! Wink Laughing Wink

I still work here!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: