FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Free Masterbuilt 30" Smokehouse - should I keep it?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
KSims1868
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08 13 7:50 am    Post subject: Free Masterbuilt 30" Smokehouse - should I keep it? Reply with quote

I'm a UDS smoker (weekly) and don't expect to retire my UDS at all, but I'm interested in this little electric gadget to see if I can get any use out of it.
Here's the story...buddy of mine decided he didn't want to clean his 2-3 year old Masterbuilt Smokehouse for a few months and when it came time to cook some ribs he didn't feel like dealing with the mess. Results...one nasty electric smokehouse.
This ended up in him going out to buy the new model (which I think was his plan...haha) and he said I could take the old one because he was just gonna toss it in the trash. I'm all about salvaging things of value and just tinkering around with stuff, so I was glad to bring it home.

So here I am...nasty, greasy, neglected Masterbuilt Smokehouse. I assume it's the 30 model because the new one he bought was bigger, and the pics of the "30" look exactly like this one. All black, no window, controls on top/back. I did a test run (no food) and it works perfectly...held temp easily, and pours on the smoke from some chips I had laying around in an old bag of apple chunks.

So far I've sprayed it down with oven cleaner, hosed it off, and wiped off several layers of grease/crud from it. I think it's going to be perfectly fine to use once I clean it a couple more times.

Question is...is it worth messing with, or are these things pretty much junk after a few years of neglect/abuse? I was hoping I could use it for some jerky, chicken, fish, etc... because I can't hold really low temps on my UDS with much success.
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08 13 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it cost you some beef or some pork for jerky or bacon, what do you have to loose?

I use a Sausage Factory electric smoker for bacon and ham, dried beef or jerky.

Free's a great price to pay for the cooker for the experiment!

I still work here!
Cat797
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08 13 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, you definitely don't want it! You should package it up and send it to me...... Laughing Laughing Laughing

Seriously, give her a bath and put her teeth back in, and take up making and smoking sausage. Cool

All the best,
Ed
Weber 22.5 Performer
KSims1868
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08 13 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll also add that the ribs he "smoked" using the new Masterbuilt smokehouse weren't that impressive. They just weren't good IMO. Maybe it was his technique or maybe it was the use of an electric smoker, but they were nothing like the ribs I put out using my UDS.
Don Baer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08 13 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After all that abuse the thing is pretty much useless. Why don't you just toss it...... be sure and toss it my way when you do....let me know if you need my address.
71ragtop
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09 13 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would you want to clean it just use a putty knife and scrape the heavy stuff. Sometimes you clean away the flavor. SEASONED is better.Just Sayin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: