FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Some fun upgrades

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03 13 10:32 pm    Post subject: Some fun upgrades Reply with quote

Yup, another Wreckless build. I have posted this style build from time to time so I won't bore you with any more pics of the build process but what made this fun and I guess post worthy is the "found this cooker a good home" owner went with a few upgrades I enjoyed and till now have not done. Most Wreckless pit users have prefered my standard front prep and side prep area, this pitmaster decided he wanted a wrap around prep. Been wanting to do one since seeing a few here on the Ring and most notable in my memory is TralerBuilders cookers. While it was a bit of a pain to work around during the build ( small extra bit of area but seemed quite large in my small shop), the extra corner area looks to be an awesome addition with plenty of space for loading the cooker with goodies. He also wanted some high quality temp guages, 3" dial black face Tel-Tru's were the choice. Man they look sharp, it was a pleasure to install these. Lastly, the new owner wanted some shiny's, he pulled some brand new chrome Texas emblems straight off his truck recievers and said these ought to do fine. I agree, they brighten the black paint up a bit. One more note, he asked about a possible bottle opener, i could not find one I liked without scrummaging thru an antique store so the Wreckless shop gave up the one I had mounted on my door frame. gonna have to replace it someday but for now, it looked right fine as icing on the cake for this build, located on the cooker leg right next to the prep rack. Wish i would have gotten a few more pics but being the builder, forklift operator, sometime janitor, and full time BS manager, it leaves little time for photographer. Wink

Logtrucker
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04 13 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is lookin sharp nice job
GF
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04 13 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wreckless, looking good Brother! Very Happy

How did you attatch the chromed pieces?

You gotta love a guy that rips stuff off his truck to put on his cooker. Very Happy Very nice work, looks real sharp!
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04 13 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, very nice work my Friend. Very Happy Another fine Wreckless built cooker to a happy home. Very Happy Nicely done my man. Very Happy

Hybrid Cooker
garyeng
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04 13 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice Mike but how in the world could you even come close to boring us with a build thread????

Gary
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07 13 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GF wrote:
Wreckless, looking good Brother! Very Happy

How did you attatch the chromed pieces?

You gotta love a guy that rips stuff off his truck to put on his cooker. Very Happy Very nice work, looks real sharp!

Thanks GF! Very Happy I just chop saw cut the 2" reciever tube back behind the latch pin holes, ground off a bit of the chrome area for weld bead and shaped the end to match the exhaust stack curve and welded them up. i didn't see any tell tale signs of disimilar metal due to the pieces being chromed and the heat discoloring was pretty much non existent. The blaster / painter just masked off ahead of the weld and the weld bead was painted black for a 1/2" or so. yup, got a bit of a laugh when the guy was discussing some bling and handed me some new parts off his ride " here, use these" LOL

Last edited by Wreckless on Fri Jun 07 13 8:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07 13 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

k.a.m. wrote:
Mike, very nice work my Friend. Very Happy Another fine Wreckless built cooker to a happy home. Very Happy Nicely done my man. Very Happy

Thanks for the kudos bro, always a good test of a job well done when " Da Kam Man" gives a thumbs up Very Happy
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07 13 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garyeng wrote:
Very nice Mike but how in the world could you even come close to boring us with a build thread????

Gary

Thanks Gary! Very Happy What the heck, I pretty much consider it a lame comment as well on the lack of a full build post when i see them. Rolling Eyes I have posted a few similar builds tho and the comment was prolly more of a CYA attempt to cover my lack of pics
TrailerBuilder
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08 13 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn dude, that looks awesome! The cooker looks great but I really like the shape of the firebox...consider that design borrowed or stolen Wink I always save the wrap around shelf for last, it does become a hip bruiser for sure once its welded out. Awesome work as always Mike, good to see you back to posting some builds.
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03 13 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrailerBuilder wrote:
Damn dude, that looks awesome! The cooker looks great but I really like the shape of the firebox...consider that design borrowed or stolen Wink I always save the wrap around shelf for last, it does become a hip bruiser for sure once its welded out. Awesome work as always Mike, good to see you back to posting some builds.

I didn't really want to bump this thread back to the top but I missed the reply when posted and couldn't let it go without a Thank You Troy! Very Happy As mentioned before...kudos keep this more fun than feeling like work. As per the FB, the recipient of this build possibly wanted two cookers, the second for his cousin but couldn't quite swing it so they opted for a second FB only. I usually build them straight onto the end cap as a continuation of the cap. Good for fit up but a bit of a pita welding out the inside in the out of position. This lone FB was like playing with a toy, fun stuff.
DrunkPlumber
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03 13 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did I miss this the first time around?

Man, that thing is purty!

I want.

Life is hard. It's harder if you're stupid.

There is no such thing as too much onion.

I'm NOT liar #94. I swear!
TuscaloosaQ

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06 13 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Top notch work right there!!!!!!!!
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06 13 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrunkPlumber wrote:
How did I miss this the first time around?

Man, that thing is purty!

I want.

Thanks DP! Muy apreciada

Last edited by Wreckless on Sat Jul 06 13 9:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06 13 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TuscaloosaQ wrote:
Top notch work right there!!!!!!!!

Great kudos from one cabinet door style builder to another, Thank You!
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06 13 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figure while I have this older thread bumped to the top, might as well post the lone FB that went with the smoker.
3 sided inlet dampers carry enough volume to allow for one being shut off on windy days to avoid an erratic FB burn

http://i687.photobucket.com/albums/vv238/Wreckless7/cb64a518-cf7a-4297-b567-bf321a4e494a.jpg

Ex metal on damper openings to hopefully somewhat act as fire break for a wayward coal slipping out. Fully welded on the inside as well. It keeps the FB from moving, the doors open and close fine hot or cold.

http://i687.photobucket.com/albums/vv238/Wreckless7/0703131558-01.jpg

Bullet hinges are a pain to get uniform and straight but once in place, they work great on these doors. Nope, no lip on the inside, the door frame is dropped so it's just brush or hose out the ashes.

http://i687.photobucket.com/albums/vv238/Wreckless7/3b06585a-5ef1-4b6d-abd0-fe60662fcbd0.jpg

Tubing and flat bar coal basket

I love the top loads. I just cooked on one without a fire basket or top load and it was a pita for me at least. A must have for Wreckless.

http://i687.photobucket.com/albums/vv238/Wreckless7/0702131629-02.jpg
Thanks for looking, the FB came out good.
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07 13 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please read PMPNLT650pxOTLS!

Then read this one too! Wink Laughing Wink

I still work here!
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07 13 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yah Papa Bear, the pics looked a lil large but did not require a scroll tab. Checked properties anyways and still said good to go. PB was set and has been for years. No idea what the hell happened. PB is telling me they are like 160 x 120. What the hey? some thing is lyin' to my azz. Can't really resize if I have no darn idea what size they are in the first place. yeah, I read the other link. Beyond what I know...just sayin. Thanks for not killing them. I try to toe the line but the darn line moved.
GF
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07 13 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wreckless, nice work on the FB and basket, they turned out real nice. Very Happy

Can't help with PB, it confuses me most of the time. Embarassed
I'm showing 578x770 for sizes. Shocked Confused
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: