FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bacon making with a unique flavor

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cured Meat Recipes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MossyMO
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16 13 2:15 am    Post subject: Bacon making with a unique flavor Reply with quote

Applied the dry cure to the pork belly and then added a generous amount of Tatonka Dust seasoning to get the flavor deep through out the meat during the 9 day cure in the fridge.

Here is a pic of the pork belly unwrapped after it rest in the fridge and in the sink just before rinsing and soaking.

-----

This is the pork bellies after a few fry tests and rinsing and soaking for 2 1/2 to 3 hours to get the salt taste down.

-----

Pork bellies getting a light shake of the Tatonka Dust to freshen the flavor. Then the pork bellies went back into the fridge unwrapped overnight to form a nice pellicle on them.

-----

In the smoker getting 14 hours of apple smoke from the tube smoker and the smoker cold smoking at 100ยบ.

[img width=356 height=600]http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/8930/img7679m.jpg[/img]
-----

Close up in the smoker.

-----

Pork bellies just out of the smoker, they have a good color to them!

-----

Pork belly going through the meat slicer and making bacon...

-----

A pan of bacon from the 2 pork bellies.

-----

and the cooked up money shot... Mmmm bacon... this experiment was an absolute hit, the taste is so unique and perfect for bacon; we will being doing this again!

Thanks for looking!
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16 13 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good look'n stuff.

I was able to get away from having overly salty bacon by replacing 25% of the salt with regular granulated sugar in place of it.

It does not add any noticeable sweetness to the finished product, it just sheds the saltiness without needing to soak the cured belly in water for hours on end.

IE; if the belly is 12 pounds, typically one would use 1 TBS of salt per each pound.
I modified my ratio to 8 TBS salt, and 4 TBS sugar and my salty bacon was no more.
GF
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17 13 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MossyMO, looks great. Very Happy

I hope you got another few curing, after the friends and family have a taste, you won't be able to keep up. Wink
Pkerchef
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri May 10 13 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job on the bacon. Wish i had one of those killer slicers as well. Pkerchef
8.5 x 18 Haulmark concession/ competition trailer
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09 13 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pkerchef wrote:
Nice job on the bacon. Wish i had one of those killer slicers as well. Pkerchef

I have a small hobart that I could part with, it needs some work though.

Then I have a big auto-drive Berkel that I am considering selling too. Let me see what I can do for you.
jess
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10 13 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not big on the pile on atta boy but that is some seriously good looking bacon...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cured Meat Recipes All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: