FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Adding a warming box to a Lang

View previous topic :: View next topic  
enduro

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18 13 9:49 pm    Post subject: Adding a warming box to a Lang Reply with quote

I'd like to add a warming box to my Lang 48. I'm thinking a 32" tall x 18" wide x 12" deep box, located on top of the firebox. I'd like to seperate this box into a 6" tall x 18 x 12 box on the bottom that I can preheat my splits in and the remaining 26" tall x 18 x 12 section for food warming.

What's your opinion on the need to cut venting holes from the cooking chamber into the food warming chamber? Will it be necessary for temp control in the warming chamber, and if so what size hole(s) would you recommend?

Also, if I cut venting holes from the cooking chamber to the warming chamber, what's this likely to do to the draft in the cooking chamber?

The cooking chamber currently is 24" dia x 48" long (rf horizontal offset).

Thanks, I really appreciate the expertise that's so willingly offered on this site.
davefan360

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19 13 2:12 am    Post subject: from the langs I have seen Reply with quote

I would say no holes into the warming box. it will effect your draw into the main tank. also I would not do 2 chambers but maybe 2 doors on the warming box, on small one on the bottom for the wood, one larger one above it for food.
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19 13 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

enduro, I would ask myself if I wanted the warmer to someday be able to be used to cook with. If the answer is yes then I would add a sliding damper between the cooking chamber and the warmer along with an exhaust. The top of my firebox is the bottom of my warming chamber. The radiant heat keeps my warmer at around 150 degrees. I have three racks 6" apart with Dutch doors, I warm my wood on the bottom of the chamber under the lower rack. I would put an exhaust whether you want to cook with it or not, it helps to keep the moister out when cooking. I live in high humidity and the warmer sweats on days when it is cold and humid out.
I hope this helps. Very Happy

Hybrid Cooker
enduro

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19 13 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great info. After re-thinking the plan, I'll just make it with one chamber and 2 doors.

I had planned on doing small pinwheel style vents near the top of the warming box, but now would obviously be the time to do a sliding damper for possible future use. Guess it couldn't hurt. KAM, to go the damper route, how big of a hole (or holes) would you recommend I put in it, and would the pinwheel vents near the top provide enough exhaust, or will I need a stack?

Am I wrong in assuming that if this new chamber is being used at cooking temps, that I'd need to dampen the exhaust in the original cooking chamber and make up the difference in volume with the exhaust in the new chamber? Also, at that point, do you think I'll be dealing with an undersized firebox issue?

Not looking to overthink anything here, but I'm also not looking to open a can of worms either.

Thanks again for the input.
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19 13 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

enduro, I would go at least 5" square with the damper, your spinners will be all you need if you make sure their opening equals the 5" square opening.
Leave both exhausts open and tune the chambers accordingly. Once you learn this technique you will have another option for your chamber use.

Hybrid Cooker
enduro

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19 13 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, that's the route I'll go.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: