FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I've seen some dumb things in life, but..................

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26 13 2:03 pm    Post subject: I've seen some dumb things in life, but.................. Reply with quote

I have been having issues with my exhaust hood make-up air system since we bought this building.
Calling every single hood contractor within 100 miles hasn't found out who installed the system here, nor would they service another persons work.
No, I was not looking for a freebie either.

While talking to our version of "Sanford & Son" of restaurant equipment, he asked how I liked the exhaust hood where I'm at, and he proudly exclaimed that he installed it. (this explains the crap job done right here and now)
Anyways, some of our regulars are HVAC guys, I finally talked them into checking out my make-up air system, cuz I have no air coming in to make up for the outgoing, and i have a 12/12 pitch roof that I am unable to safely get onto and this damn system should not have been put on the roof in the first place due to climate and steepness of the roof.

They found that my make-up air fan was wired backwards, instead of pushing air into my hood, it was sucking air out! well, it should have been sucking air out, but the undersized ductwork they used was disconnected, and the backflow damper was not in properly either, nor was the ducting rated for the job it was used on, along with multiple other issues.

Moral of the story, have the job done correctly, not by the cheapest bid.
The previous 2 owners of this property hired contractors by price alone, with no regards for quality.
So if you're buying a building, pay for an inspector before signing the dotted line.
with this place only being 12 years old, I figured things would be correct, and zoning would have done their job too.

SO, I can finally have AC & heat without wiping out all the air in the building in less than 1 minute now.
DrunkPlumber
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27 13 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry, I feel ya'. I am happy to hear that you have had your problems resolved.
I have been a plumber for 40 years and have made a decent living selling quality materials and workmanship. I have never accepted substituting quality for price and thus have been able to maintain an excellent reputation in my area.
Even during my 20 or so years in the union local I insisted on giving my employer an honest day of work and quality craftsmanship.
It pays off for all involved. JM2C.

Just sayin'.

Life is hard. It's harder if you're stupid.

There is no such thing as too much onion.

I'm NOT liar #94. I swear!
GF
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27 13 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry, glad you got your make up air problem fixed.

Being 12 yrs. old, I would expect that in my area. That is when alot of people decided the local "handy man" was a better, (cheaper) alternative to hiring a profesional. They ended up with one guy who did the plumbing, electric, carpentry, tile, landscaping, and fixed the car.......all equally well. Rolling Eyes

I gotta agree with D.P., a honest and fair days work DOES pay off for all involved, sorry you didn't get that to start with, woulda saved alot of grief.
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27 13 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, just in time with this MAKE-UP getting fixed. We Had the A/C on today, and the heat on tonight. (Ya just gotta love the upper midwest weather)
II still have a little negative pressure thing happening until they get the correct size ducts in, and balance my exhaust and make-up fan speeds.
Then I plan to add a direct-Drive upblast fan with a variable speed rheostat to dial in optimum exhaust fan speed to meet current demand.
If our winter proves to be good, I then plan to add tempered make-up air, (heated and cooled) and have everything removed from the roof and put on a slab on the ground for ease of servicing like what should have been done originally.

There is a programmable thermostat here for all 3 of my heating zones that has been about as easy to figure out as the meaning of life, or dare I say the female mind.

So my HVAC guys show me a Wi-Fi connectable thermostat that I can adjust through my iPhone, and it can send me warnings if my interior temps get weird (think freeze or fire) And it is about the same cost as the non-connectable programmable unit already hanging on my wall!

Cooking BBQ with wood may not be high-tech, but damnitall, my HVAC thermostat will be!!
I've been thinking about getting the Wi-Fi connectable LED lights now too. (Phillips makes them, and the App is on iTunes)
Maybe I'll wait til after I get my liquor license and a trustworthy latenight crew for that though.

I'm outtie, this old man needs some horizontal time so I can be all bright-eyed and bushy-tailed for tomorrows wedding that we are catering. (Tri-Tip & Bird)
RodinBangkok
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27 13 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before you take the leap into data collection via wifi, take a look at doing it with ethernet. Has a lot of cost advantages, and the per node cost can be quite economical. Most systems will allow you to do simple monitoring on any web browser, but like a POS system do some shopping to find the best system for you. Don't forget you can also put all your security cameras on ethernet, have it all hooked together, and both visually check and measure parameters from any web browser. Most of these are easy to install yourself, just a bit of playing around. Be careful of the big company systems like Honeywell or Johnson controls, they are very good, but also pretty pricey. Quite easy to hook all your reefers, smokers and ovens in also.

One site for some goodies:

http://www.dataq.com/ethernet-data-acquisition/ethernet-data-acquisition.html
lantern
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27 13 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry, being an electrical, plumbing, HVAC and general contractor I know exactly what you mean.

People get so used to buying things at the cheapest price but have no thought in that buying a mass manufactured product at the lowest price is NOTHING like buying a service that requires skill and experience.

My favorite is when they(previous customers) hire crap guys to do crap work and get a crap job. Then call me and have the gall to complain about how they already have so much money into the project from the previous jacklegs and want me to do twice the work(sorting through garbage takes longer) for the same money if not less.....

Here's to hoping you get everything squared away and your sailing is as smooth as can be in the very near future!!!
jess
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28 13 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So after over 30 yrs. as a class A certified contractor that does mostly remodeling, I can not do multiple trade jobs properly ? I do masonary, electrical, plumbing, & carpentry as well as anyone. The trades I don't do as well I sub to contractors that know their buss. Sorry for the rant but some people are good at more than 1 job. No matter what our emporor in chief says somebody has to build the building you are in....
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28 13 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jess wrote:
So after over 30 yrs. as a class A certified contractor that does mostly remodeling, I can not do multiple trade jobs properly ? I do masonary, electrical, plumbing, & carpentry as well as anyone. The trades I don't do as well I sub to contractors that know their buss. Sorry for the rant but some people are good at more than 1 job. No matter what our emporor in chief says somebody has to build the building you are in....

Jess, I think you took offense where none was meant.

There are tradesman who are highly qualified in many fields, what I was referring to with my problem is the previous owner not having a job done correctly, and having the job done by someone who is not qualified to do the job correctly or safely.

I live in a climate that sees snow, hence the 12/12 pitch roof to lessen snow-load damage, well at the same time, Why would someone put a hood exhaust MUA system on a roof that is inaccessible for 5-6 months out of the year.
WTF am I supposed to do if a belt blows in winter? Do I shut down until the snow melts and I can get back on the roof.

The hood contractors that I all called remembered bidding this job very well, and how they suggested to the guy that the unit be ground based for a more appropriate install and future service needs, and that it must have tempered MUA according to state building codes that were in effect at the time, but the cheap focker that owned this building told the people who wanted to do it right, to get lost.

I should have a talk with the zoning guy, but if I bring it to his attention that I do not have tempered MUA, I might screw myself and be forced to do it before I really want to.
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28 13 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RodinBangkok wrote:
Before you take the leap into data collection via wifi, take a look at doing it with ethernet. Has a lot of cost advantages, and the per node cost can be quite economical. Most systems will allow you to do simple monitoring on any web browser, but like a POS system do some shopping to find the best system for you. Don't forget you can also put all your security cameras on ethernet, have it all hooked together, and both visually check and measure parameters from any web browser. Most of these are easy to install yourself, just a bit of playing around. Be careful of the big company systems like Honeywell or Johnson controls, they are very good, but also pretty pricey. Quite easy to hook all your reefers, smokers and ovens in also.

One site for some goodies:

http://www.dataq.com/ethernet-data-acquisition/ethernet-data-acquisition.html

Here's the T-stat that I plan to get
http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/203356032?productId=203356032&storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&cm_mmc=PSocial%7cFBX%7cDynamic#.UfW3eI1vOXs

The reviews on the one made by carrier are not favorable at all. I have 3-ZONE Carrier HVAC system here,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Commercial BBQ All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: