FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

first pork butt!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scottvin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27 13 4:15 am    Post subject: first pork butt! Reply with quote

I am going to attempt to smoke my first pork butt on Sunday.

It is a small pork but of about 4 lbs that I had the butcher cut off a larger piece. I already made my rub to put on the butt:

1/3 cup dark brown sugar
2 tablespoons paprika
1 teaspoon garlic salt
1 teaspoon cayenne
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 teaspoon

I have a few questions:
1) When should I put the rub on?

2) Should I place plastic wrap over the butt after I put the rub on?

3) This is the grill I have - http://www.samsclub.com/sams/hybrid-grill-infrared-propane-gas-and-charcoal-cooking-system/prod2410014.ip

How long should it take me to cook the four pound butt?

Thanks!
1buckie
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27 13 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of people put the rub on a short time before the cook...I do.....while the coals are lighting up.......

Some do overnite, but it can draw moisture out of the meat & make it taste weird if too long...

How long it will take has to do with how hot, how consistent the temp, some to do w/ what kind of cooker, how much liftin' the lid & fiddlin' you do, etc.............

275 degrees, 6-1/2 hours or until the bone will easily slide out without resistance & come clean from the meat...?

That's my best uneducated guess...... Very Happy

Wrap in foil & wait an hour, then shread.....
It's gonna say on my tombstone: Died of thick, heavy sauces ~~~~>K
" The Creepy Guy Down the Street With All The Webers"
GF
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27 13 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scottvin, I'm with 1buckie on this one. Very Happy

I rub a little while before and throw em on. When you get your cooker up to temp., put it on and don't peek, it only prolongs your cook.

Most important is have fun and enjoy your cook. Very Happy
OldDominionSmoker
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27 13 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scottvin,

When I do a pork butt, I put my rub on the meat the night before and wrap it in aluminum foil and plastic wrap for 8 hours. But on that note, I have put the rub on 20-30 minutes before I put the meat on the smoker, and it came out great.

I like to run my pit at 225 to 250 with apple wood as the heat source, and it usually takes me about 8 hours for an 8 lbs pork butt.

Everyone has their own idea of time, temp, rub, injection, mopping, wrapping, etc. and you are just gonna have to cook and find out what works for you.

Remember to take pictures, because without pictures to post online, it didn't happen.

Good luck with your cook.

Char Griller Smokin' Pro w/ SFB
Kloogee

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27 13 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually fire up my pit, then while its coming up to temp, rub my butt up. Once the pit is up to temp (usually 275-300ish, but I'm not too uptight on temps) and giving some nice light blue smoke (usually about 45 mins later, I throw the butt on the pit and don't look until its IT is around 195. At that point, I then start checking the bone to see when it's going to wiggle free. I then wrap in foil and put it in a cooler until its time to eat, which is at least an hour and usually 2-3 hours before pulling it.
Tony
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27 13 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to The Smoke Ring Forums,Scottvin and Good Luck with your first pork butt cook!

What the Boys said in their responses all will get 'Ya where Ya'll
need to be! Laughing Wink

Although 4-6 hours @ 275' F should bring You within the 195' to 200'F internal temp you should be shooting for, a good quality digital or analog thermometer should be used to tell you FOR SURE when that butt is ready to come off your cooker. Wink

As 1buckie pointed out, wrap it in foil , then stuff it in a cooler wrapped in towels to rest for about an hour before pulling.

Oh, and one more thing...charge your camera battery BEFORE
You start all this so's that We all here can make sure that it all really happened! Shocked Laughing

Good luck again and Best Regards,

Tony Very Happy
Kettleman
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27 13 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1buckie wrote:
A lot of people put the rub on a short time before the cook...I do.....while the coals are lighting up.......

Some do overnite, but it can draw moisture out of the meat & make it taste weird if too long...

How long it will take has to do with how hot, how consistent the temp, some to do w/ what kind of cooker, how much liftin' the lid & fiddlin' you do, etc.............

275 degrees, 6-1/2 hours or until the bone will easily slide out without resistance & come clean from the meat...?

That's my best uneducated guess...... Very Happy

Wrap in foil & wait an hour, then shread.....

That guess sounds pretty educated to me. Smile Smile

I see you're not using much salt. It's the salt content that draws the moisture out of the meat if it's put on there too long. It will also start the curing process too.
I don't use much salt either. I've done rubs overnight and the same morning leaving it on only a couple of hours. The main thing is to get as much rub on there as you can and make lots of bark. I usually trim fairly well too as thick layers of fat interfere with the rub. There's plenty of fat in the butt for what you need.

Lettuce know how you make out.
Good luck
Good luck and enjoy your cook.
18.5 WSM, mods & custom smoke rack.
Maverick 732
Thermapen
1buckie
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27 13 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"That guess sounds pretty educated to me."

thanks for that, Kettleman, but mostly what I meant by that is I've never tried on on a cooker quite like that, that I can remember..........plus unknown variables.....

scottvin, I took a closer, detailed look at the cooker pics & would suggest maybe you drop the charcoal pan pretty far down to keep the heat generating slower & easier....

This is more of a straight grill concept & I'm not quite sure how well (tightly) the box is sealed up.....doesn't so much need to be for grilling, but to smokeroasting at lower tempratures this may be a little tricky.......

Couple questions....
1) have you done a longer cook with the charcoal side say a large roast or the like ?
2)Have you run the coals for a long time consistently for other type cookups?

Reason I ask is this is not like ordinary grilling, it's a long, very low heat roasting with wood added in for flavor....the wood is also added fuel & will add heat so you need to take that into consideration,also........

How the coals burn will be the deciding factor, I'm pretty sure....

Take a look at how the charcoal burns are in this cook....

http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=63024

And for a more detailed setup, look at this cook....

http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=62614

You may be able to try an "S" shape line of briquettes, maybe 3 wide & two on top of that , UNLIT, & then add 10 lit coals to the end of the line.....just take care to have them in contact along the line when you 1st set up......

you may also have to re-load once or twice, but the idea is to get a pretty low, pretty consistent heat going, then kinda "keep the ball up in the air" so to speak..........

You may also try a small amount of coals to start & keep adding a small bit at a time, but that way has the door opening a lot & might play havoc with keeping your temp low & even, which is why the suggestion up above.....
Try it out, good luck & ask more questions if you
need to......
scottvin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27 13 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1buckie wrote:

Couple questions....
1) have you done a longer cook with the charcoal side say a large roast or the like ?
2)Have you run the coals for a long time consistently for other type cookups?

1) this is my first slow smoke and I know it isn't ideal but it's what I have (currently)

2) yes, once for party with burgers and hot dogs but I had the grate raised almost all the way

I will lower the grate all the way to the bottom. I will also try to create a "falling dominoes" type of briquette layout. The problem is the grate is really small. How many wood chunks should I dispersed throughout the charcoal?

like this? C=Charcoal, W=Wood

C C W C C W C C W C C W C C W C C C C C C C...

However, if you were going to spend under $100 what smoker type grill would you get?

Thanks again for all your help!
1buckie
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28 13 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"However, if you were going to spend under $100 what smoker type grill would you get?"

I''m biased.......you'll only get one broken-record answer on that one from me.....Weber kettle... Very Happy

they can be had for as little as $5~ $10 at a garage sale for a perfectly good used one....a large percentage of mine were free.....or the replacement grates cost more than the kettle itself......Sparks posted a thing about new ones being on sale, maybe a 4th of July send up?
a new one can be had for $100 or less.....other inexpensive bullet type smokers can be $60 ~ 90, the Weber ones are more.....an UDS drum smoker, simply done can be $100 or less....see here ~~~>

http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13224

and here ~~>

http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=49419

Takes a bit of tooling, but they work grate & you can do a ton of stuff if the need arises...... Very Happy

as to your disbursement map, maybe go slightly lower on the wood, spaced farther apart, because the wood will catch & flare up some & may get your chain going faster than it should to go lower heat......make sense, the way I'm describing it?

even tho the grate is small, maybe try a "Z" pattern....along one side, diagonal across the middle, down the other side.....I don't KNOW if this will work, but it just might be OK !!!!!!
scottvin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28 13 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume you mean to buy the larger kettles not the lol smokeys?

I will try a z formation. There is no space for a drip pan. Hope that is ok.
1buckie
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28 13 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the links from earlier were all standard size 22-1/2" kettles.....however, if you happen to find the little Smokey Joe for cheap, this can be constructed ~~>

http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=47307&highlight=smokey+joe

** I've actually set a drip pan very carefully on top of charcoals & they continued to burn fine.....sounds nutty, but I've done it, just to find out...... Shocked
** Not the suggested method.....
scottvin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28 13 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, one I place the butt on the grill, don't move it till its done, correct?
1buckie
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29 13 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For that particular setup, I would say yes......I don't usually move mine, just spin the grate somtimes if it looks like it's getting too close over the burn at some points.......

Have Fun with it, also !!!!!

Too serious wrecks the experience of BBQ....IMHO...... Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: