FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fabrication / Design Question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Woodstone Griller

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05 13 12:42 am    Post subject: Fabrication / Design Question Reply with quote

Is there some inherent advantage to starting with a round shape when making a smoke chamber or fire box? I have a 60 gallon propane tank I bought for the purpose of a smoke chamber and intended to purchase the metal for the fire box. I started to consider a rectangular shape when I got to thinking about insulating the smoker. Any thoughts.
Travis_Creek
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05 13 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally think a round transfers better, but either will work ok.
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05 13 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the ring Woodstone Griller, looking forward to seeing some pics of your cooks and following your cooker project. Smile
In my opinion either works fine once you learn the cooker. If your going to insulate the cooking chamber then no doubt squared off would be a lot easier to handle.
I hope this helps. Very Happy

Hybrid Cooker
Alien BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06 13 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

# 1 they don;t make square propane tanks.........
#2 if you insulate go square
Woodstone Griller

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07 13 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input. Is there much advantage to insulating the cooking chamber? Same question for the fire box, or is this something that really doesn't have much affect on the performance of the smoker?
Alien BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09 13 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it rains where you are at or gets below 40 then I would go with the insulated firebox at a minimum. However...... a liner and air gap will also work in a pinch.
bellyrubbin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09 13 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With a flat top condensation can collect and drip down onto your food. Usually the drippings are just water or moisture from the meat, but it can pick up some creosote from the walls of the chamber. With a round tank; that condensation will typically just run down the inside of the tank and not touch your food. Easy way to get rid of condensation in a square cooker is proper venting and adding a couple of sloped plates in the roof of the cook chamber to direct any buildup to run down to the walls of the cooker.

As far as insulation goes, I'd recommend it. For the little extra you spend it will save you tenfold on fuel consumption over the life of the cooker. It will also be easier to control the temp of the cook chamber in all weather conditions. One thing I haven't seen noted is standing next to or near a 225 degree cooker on a 100 degree summer day isn't very pleasant either.

In the end though, any way you go will result you in a good quality cooker...better than that China made stuff anyway.
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09 13 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I build flat top cookers. Never heard of any condensation raining down on an up to temp cooker.
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09 13 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You only get the condensation when not burning a small hot fire, on a fully warmed pit.

If you stall out the air / smoke flow due to poor drafting, then it's possible for the condensation to form against the cord metal of a pit, but if you pre heat your exhaust and keep the fire hot and the gasses flowing, it shouldn't be bad... unless you built the pit without regard for the pit calculator! Wink Laughing Wink

I still work here!
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09 13 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woodstone Griller, there are advantages to insulating a cooker and firebox especially if your climate is a cold one in the winter. I for one would not insulate just a firebox knowing that I was losing heat on the cooking chamber.
I hope this helps. Very Happy

Hybrid Cooker
Smoldering Coals
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09 13 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would insulate the firebox. I used ceramic fiber insulation 1" thick.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: