FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Time for Some Andouille Sausage

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ComradeQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05 13 2:24 am    Post subject: Time for Some Andouille Sausage Reply with quote

I can't seem to find any decent andouille sausage up here in Toronto so I decided it was time to make a batch of my own. I borrowed a little from Kevin P's recipe link here: http://www.nolacuisine.com/2005/11/14/andouille-sausage-recipe/ as well as a recipe in Home Production of Quality Meats and Sausages by Stanley and Adam Marianski ... an amazing book for anyone curing meats and making sausages, it has everything you possibly need, go and buy it if you are looking for a helpful resource for this hobby of ours.

Anyway, I digress ...

Here is the recipe, hope it is ok to post, credit goes entirely to the above mentioned resources. I have added measurements for our American friends but I find with sausage making it is best to weigh the ingredients as many things (kosher salt) can vary depending on brands and weighing is much more accurate.

Andouille

- Pork Butt: 2kg or 4.4lbs
- Kosher Salt: 32g or 5.5tsp
- Cure #1: 5g or 1tsp (maybe a little less)
- Sweet Paprika: 7g or 1Tbsp
- Crushed Red Pepper: 2g or 1tsp
- Cracked Black Pepper: 12g or 6tsp
- Chopped Garlic: 20g or 6 cloves
- Dried Thyme: 4g or 3tsp
- Cayenne Pepper: 4g or 2tsp
- Dextrose: 5g or 1tsp
- Ice Water: 200g or 3/4 cup
- Optional: 8g Mega Phos - This is a phosphate binder that aids in water retention. I add it as optional because some home cooks don't have access to or don't want to use additional chemicals such as this. I personally prefer the texture and juiciness that it adds but never fear, if you don't want to use it don't. The alternative is an 1/8 of a cup of dry milk powder.

Instructions:

1. Grind half the meat on medium, making sure it is semi-frozen to prevent it smearing and clogging up your grinder. The other half you should hand chop to quarter inch chunks. This is purely textural, if you prefer to grind it all go right ahead, but the extra work pays off.
2. Mix meat with all dry ingredients, adding water after the first mix. Mix until sticky and evenly distributed throughout the meat.
3. Stuff into 38-40mm hog casings. You can leave it as one big rope or link it into 6-8" links.
4. Hang at room temperature for 2 hours or, if you are doing this ahead of time before smoking, hang in the fridge and leave over night uncovered. This second method gives the cure some time to start doing its job but I have done both and both work fine.
5. Hot smoke for 2-3 hours. Alternatively, I cold smoked mine for 6 hours, then finished in an electric oven at 150f for 45 mins then 170f for half an hour until an I.T. of 155 is reached. For this batch I used pecan and a little cherry wood.
6. Cold shower or bath immediately after removing from the heat source for 5 minutes or so to cool the sausage and prevent shrinking.
7. Hang at room temperature for 2 hours to "bloom" then refrigerate until needed or semi freeze and vac pack for another date.

I have also included a few pics below. I'm making some gumbo later tonight so I will update with some sliced shots and some gumbo pron then.

The Lineup:

Mixed and Ready to Stuff:

Prior to Linking:

Ice Bath:

Blooming After the Bath:
texbbqpits
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05 13 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recipe looks good and pictures sure look super. Were you happy with the taste? Tom
ComradeQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05 13 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some updated pics:

A good Haul:

Sliced:

Big Pot O' Gumbo:

Plated Gumbo:

texbbqpits wrote:
Recipe looks good and pictures sure look super. Were you happy with the taste? Tom

It was delicious! Just right on with the heat and the texture was perfect. This is a keeper for sure! The gumbo blew my mind (and my mouth - spicy good!) Thanks for reading gang!
Darwin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05 13 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sausage and gumbo both look great, well done. Very Happy

Life is too short to eat wampum biscuits and drink cheap beer.
texbbqpits
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05 13 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, I could sure handle a big bowl of that. Really great looking bowl of gumbo. super job. Tom
ComradeQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05 13 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys! I love me some gumbo! I'll post the recipe I use but I can't remember the source so I can't credit it. I have a habit of just copying recipes into my recipe collection without labeling where they came from (by default they then become mine, lol) Sleep now, will have to wait anyway.
Griffin
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12 13 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bravo!! Looks superb. Andouille is on my short list of sausages to try.
Bkndsdl
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22 13 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Time for Some Andouille Sausage Reply with quote

Looks awesome, ComradeQ!

ComradeQ wrote:
Cure #1

Comrade, could you expound a bit on the cure #1? I know what tender quick is, is this the same thing?

ComradeQ wrote:
Hot smoke for 2-3 hours

What temp do you smoke it at when you hot smoke it?

ComradeQ wrote:
8g Mega Phos

where could I find this?

Thanks Man!

K.I.S.S. U.D.S.
My DBS
My Hybrid Build
ComradeQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23 13 12:29 am    Post subject: Re: Time for Some Andouille Sausage Reply with quote

Bkndsdl wrote:
Looks awesome, ComradeQ!

ComradeQ wrote:
Cure #1

Comrade, could you expound a bit on the cure #1? I know what tender quick is, is this the same thing?

ComradeQ wrote:
Hot smoke for 2-3 hours

What temp do you smoke it at when you hot smoke it?

ComradeQ wrote:
8g Mega Phos

where could I find this?

Thanks Man!

No problem, always glad to help! Cure #1 is a cure that contains 6.25% sodium nitrIte and 93.75% salt. It does not use sugar or sodium nitrAte like Tender Quick does and is not interchangeable. Never having used Tender Quick I couldn't guess at comparable ratios. I recommend ordering some Cure #1 from Butcher-Packer or Allied Kenco.

The MegaPhos C binder I use is from a place in my neck of the woods called MalabarSuperSpice http://malabarsuperspice.com/i_meat-processing.htm. I'm sure the previous mentioned places would carry a phosphate binder that is comparable ... if it is too hard to find, dry milk powder can be used instead with similar results. If you can find a phosphate binder make sure it is one stated for emulsion cutting and not brining, they usually have different ones for these purposes.

For the hot smoking I start at 130°f or so and slowly increase the temp until I reach a max of 170°f, maybe 10°f every 30 mins or so until you reach an internal temperature of 155°f. I find going any hotter tends to render fat and makes for a greasy, shrunken sausage. Once you get to the 155°f internal temp it is important to immediately transfer to an ice bath to stop the cooking and prevent case shrinkage. Hope this helps!
Bkndsdl
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23 13 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

awesome explanations, thanks man!

K.I.S.S. U.D.S.
My DBS
My Hybrid Build
Griffin
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24 13 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very impressive. Andouille has been on my to-do list for awhile. Just need to clean ou the freezer a bit to make some more room.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Sausage Making All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: