FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

cooking with wood coals

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cadmaster
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21 13 8:52 am    Post subject: cooking with wood coals Reply with quote

ive seen them in pictures before but never seen 1st hand.. pictures of guys at one pit scooping wood coals from burning wood and throwing into another pit where the food is.. the 1st pit is just for making wood coals..

couple of questions

- would the wood logs be on a metal rack a couple inches above ground so its easier to be shoveled out?

- i assume this would be easier on a concrete slab?

- is there a specific situation when this process is typically used?

thanks fellas!
jess
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21 13 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use it for doing whole hogs in a block pit. Usually I fire my wood on a elevated expanded metal rack over a wheel barrow. Hot coals & concrete do not mix, the masonary can & will explode small chips...
Pkerchef
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21 13 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw a team at Memphis In May doing this to cook a whole hog. These guys are basically making their own charcoal and using that to cook with.They had a barrel with rebar crisscrossed in the top and put their logs up there and when they burned down they would drop through to the bottom of the barrel where they would be scooped out and added to the pit as needed. I would think this is labor intensive. Pkerchef
8.5 x 18 Haulmark concession/ competition trailer
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21 13 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's called using a "burn barrel" and is often used in the South and East where they have the brick pits that are grandfathered in legally in restaurants.

They were used to separate the burning of the wood and the off gassing, leaving the cooking heat for under the meat.

I still work here!
Jim38344
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22 13 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty common method in Texas. That is how you BARBECUE meat as opposed to SMOKING it. Most traditional barbecue cookers use this method.

Pretty labor intensive, but if you want real barbecue, that's the way you gotta do it.

Fire away !!
Tim_Abrahamson
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22 13 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or just get a bag of Royal Oak lump charcoal (or any good quality lump charcoal)... its the same stuff without the hassle of a burn barrel.

Oklahoma Joe Longhorn
Big Green Egg
Former Pitmaster Gates and Sons BBQ (KC)
Texman
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22 13 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: cooking with wood coals Reply with quote

cadmaster wrote:
ive seen them in pictures before but never seen 1st hand.. pictures of guys at one pit scooping wood coals from burning wood and throwing into another pit where the food is.. the 1st pit is just for making wood coals..

couple of questions

- would the wood logs be on a metal rack a couple inches above ground so its easier to be shoveled out?

- i assume this would be easier on a concrete slab?

- is there a specific situation when this process is typically used?

thanks fellas!

That is the system we use. The rack for the wood (Mesquite) is made from sucker rods, about 8" above the bottom. Firebox with three sides and a steel plate on the bottom for coals to fall on. Shovel coals under grate - juices from the meat fall on the coals adding more meat flavor. We do hot and fast.
www.texasribwagon.com
jess
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23 13 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim_Abrahamson wrote:
Or just get a bag of Royal Oak lump charcoal (or any good quality lump charcoal)... its the same stuff without the hassle of a burn barrel.
I hate to disagree as you have done many great "looking" cooks, but anyone that likes Q & can not tell the difference between charcoal & wood coal fired Q should be eating at McD's.JMHO...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: