FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

UDS advice please.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Virginiasmoke
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27 13 7:42 am    Post subject: UDS advice please. Reply with quote

Since any welding or metal fab is out of the question for me because of lack of time and skill, I'm left with buying a used one, using a kit
( https://www.bigpoppasmokers.com/store/big-poppa-s-engineered-drum-smoker-kit) or buying a new one pre-made. I've looked around a bit and one from http://barrelsmokers.net/ really stands out. Is there any feed-back on this particular builder?
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27 13 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a step bit or a good drill kit?

Can you measure a piece of string?

If you can do both of those, you can build a UDS on your own, either by buying a kit, or by buying the parts.

http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=49419 read this and ask any questions you have, if you are interested in the 3rd option.

I still work here!
Virginiasmoke
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27 13 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks... I'll take a look.
As long as there's no welding I'm good.
GF
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27 13 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Virginiasmoke, the hardest part is getting a clean, un-lined drum.
If you have that, a drill, a few common hand tools, and your materials on hand, you could start in the morning and be cooking the same evening. Very Happy
BUGSnBBQ
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27 13 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^^What they said^^^^
If you have basic hand tools you can easily build a UDS. If you don't have things like a hammer, drill and bits, screwdrivers, etc. it's time to go get some! Laughing
The Matt Ryan of LIARS! (#2)

I had the RIGHT to remain silent, I just didn't have the ABILITY.

Support your 2nd Amendment RIGHT. Criminals prefer unarmed victims.
MGeslock
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27 13 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in Fredericksburg. I can help. I have built about 30 of the 30 gallon ones.
Virginiasmoke
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27 13 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your generous offer!!
My first mission is to find a new unlined barrel.
Do you have a source?
Virginiasmoke
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27 13 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoEzzy... I read through your instructions. Pretty simple indeed.
In the last part you mention a couple of things I'm curious about.
1) What are "sliders" and what would be the benefit?
2) You mention higher intakes. What would be the benefit of this? I'm guessing better draw?
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27 13 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Virginiasmoke wrote:
SoEzzy... I read through your instructions. Pretty simple indeed.
In the last part you mention a couple of things I'm curious about.
1) What are "sliders" and what would be the benefit?
2) You mention higher intakes. What would be the benefit of this? I'm guessing better draw?

Sliders are plates of metal that cover up/ or open over the holes, but they need welding skills, a welder, spare metal and time to construct.

Higher intakes are where folks add pipes and valves...it has very little to do with better draw, and more to do with not wanting to bend over, (IMO)! Some people take this to the point that they go too high, and when they do the pits can actually run backwards, pulling air in through the exhaust and smoke comes out of the intakes.

[rant]

Part of what I like about UDS's is that they are simple to make, and simple to use... unless you choose to make things more complicated than you really need to!

And if you look at how complicated people make them, they can be pretty complicated! Wink Laughing Wink

It's going to be your pit, build it the way you want to build it, add what you want, leave out what you want to leave out, but once it's built the main thing you need to do is cook on it, see if you like what you built, if you do stick with it, if you don't want to stick with it, buy another drum and transfer all the hardware you do like and try it all another way.

The first drum I built would not get past 170° no matter what I did, I tried cooking on it 3 times, would not, could not make it work. Took off all the hardware, and beat that barrel with a 14lb sledgehammer until the top of the barrel was crushed flat, (side to side), and the bottom looked like an arrow...why? Because I was really piss off that something supposed to be so simple could be such a pain in the ass.

I then went back and read everything that I could to find out what I had done wrong... the answer was just about everything, not big enough intakes, not enough or big enough exhausts, not applying the knowledge that I had about fires in heaters to fires in cookers.

Once I built my second, applying all those other thoughts, I found a system that works for me. I've since then built 12 more for myself, including the ones I compete with, and I've helped another 29 or 30 folks build their pits directly at classes and personally, I have no idea how many have used that thread, but I've had feed back from another 20 or more about it.

So build a simple drum as I describe with a step bit, a drill, a piece of string, and a tape measure, and try it out, see what you think about it, tweak everything on build number 2! Or try all the extra frills, bells and whistles and keep your fingers crossed that it all works for you!

[/rant]

I still work here!
Virginiasmoke
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27 13 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all of the info!
Last question (maybe) before I start drawing plans; what about extended exhaust?
Does that help draw? If not, what is the purpose?
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27 13 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some folks add them to make them look pretty! Some folks don't like 8 holes in the lid!

If you want to add one add one...I recommend buying an exhaust tip at the local auto parts store, that fits the diameter of the 2" bung hole on the lid.

I don't use them on mine, as it's one more layer of complexity, and it makes the lid harder to hand on the side of the drum while you mess with the meat. JM2C! Wink

I still work here!
MGeslock
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27 13 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen the drums with the removable top on the Richmond Craigslist. http://richmond.craigslist.org/for/3955967795.html

These say food grade. My guess = liner.

I did get one from a LineX shop. A few burns with the weed burner and they were good to go.

This is mine. Keep it Simple! My son put the "exhaust" stack on it because he said it looked cool. Its not attached but just stuck on.
GF
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27 13 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Virginiasmoke, JM2C, but all the chrome, fancy paint, valves with extensions, etc., is just a builders preference, a plain, basic one will cook the same. Wink

There is nothing wrong with making your cooker as fancy as you want, it's yours, have a ball. You don't "need" to though.

Enjoy whatever you choose to do, I'm sure you'll be happy with the results. Very Happy
Virginiasmoke
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28 13 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. I am prone to bells and whistles but with this project, if it doesn't have an actual function... I don't feel like spending the money for it.

I just sent a message to the Craigslist ad. I hope he still has some.
BluDawg
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28 13 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MGeslock wrote:
I have seen the drums with the removable top on the Richmond Craigslist. http://richmond.craigslist.org/for/3955967795.html

I did get one from a LineX shop. A few burns with the weed burner and they were good to go.

This is mine. Keep it Simple! My son put the "exhaust" stack on it because he said it looked cool. Its not attached but just stuck on.
I want the '72 Cheyenne in the background. Sexiest P'up ever to roll off the line.
Webber 22 OTS
Memorial UDS "Big Jim"
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28 13 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BluDawg wrote:
MGeslock wrote:

I want the '72 Cheyenne in the background. Sexiest P'up ever to roll off the line.

And its cousin, the 4 wheel drive K-5 Blazer, lifted of course Wink
txluke
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28 13 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only tool you need is a single drill bit and a drill. The bit has to be big enough for the bolts that hold the grate on. Use wing nuts to tighten those bolts. For intake, instead of drilling 3 or 4 big holes drill a bunch of the smaller ones close together in each spot. Use a business card sized refrigerator magnet to adjust airflow over each set of holes. I myself have 3 1" holes and just plug with foil to adjust airflow.

The Triplets (3 UDSs)
Outdoor Gourmet vertical gasser
Lyfe Tyme offset
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: