FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

cleaning your cooker??

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ceedubya
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06 13 11:44 am    Post subject: cleaning your cooker?? Reply with quote

what procedures do you take to clean your cooker, and how often do you do it?

I would be especially interested in those with large water cookers.

grates, sidewalls, water pans, firebox, etc.
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06 13 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ceedubya, in my offsets I lightly burn the grates and scrape them down then scrape off the tuning plates. I then hose everything down and use my flame thrower to warm it up and dry it out. Then a light coat of Pam on the grates finishes it off.
In the UDS's and WSM's while they are still hot I remove the pan or diffuser scrape off the grates and lightly coat them with Pam. Then I close off all the intakes and exhaust and let it cool down.
I hope this helps. Very Happy

Hybrid Cooker
Mattbastard

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06 13 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clean it?

Nope.
ceedubya
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07 13 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mostly just wanted to compare notes. my large cooker holds a couple hundred pounds of meat over a large water pan. That adds up to a LOT of grease laden water and goobers on the racks. Sorry, but that needs to be cleaned.

I use a weed burner on the racks and side walls, but still need to scrape off the dried up nasties. the water pan is different story. was hoping for an easy "hey dummy you need to do this" type of solution. I don't think there is one, other than elbow grease, some simple green, and a rubber suit.....
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07 13 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ceedubya, it doesn't get much simpler than my approach. I never use soaps in my cookers unless I am wanting to re-season it. As for never cleaning out a cooker I am not a big fan of science projects and despite some folks belief rancid mouldy drippings are not flavor they are just rancid mouldy drippings.

Hybrid Cooker
ceedubya
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07 13 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

k.a.m. wrote:
..... As for never cleaning out a cooker I am not a big fan of science projects and despite some folks belief rancid mouldy drippings are not flavor they are just rancid mouldy drippings.

Indeed.

I don't use cleaners on the racks or side walls, just a good old fashioned flame thrower Twisted Evil followed up with some light duty scraping and maybe a little non stick spray.

The water pan just gets so damn nasty. the thing is nearly 4 feet long, 3 feet wide, and 4 inches deep. It holds about 7 gallons if I want to fill it full. by the end of a long cook there is a lot of nasty grease in there. I usually add some more water and drain it, leaving behind a pretty healthy coating of yuck on the bottom. I have tried just keeping the fire lit to burn it down, but then its just dried crusty yuck that comes back the next cook.

It seems a cleaner, pressure washer and some elbow grease followed up with re-season each time is the best option. Its just so damn..... gross Wink
G Spot BBQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07 13 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I scrape mine out every 3 or 4 cooks and wire brush the racks every cook once the racks are warm. Sounds like most of your problem is water pans that catches the grease drippings. Water and grease mixed is a nasty mess. Do you have to use water pans in your cooker?

Maybe putting your meat in pans so everything isn't dripping into the water??
GF
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07 13 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ceedbya, not sure of your cooker set up, sounds like the water is the main problem.

Could you use a small hand, siphon pump to empty it into a bucket?

Just a thought, good luck with it. Very Happy
ceedubya
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10 13 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GF wrote:
ceedbya, not sure of your cooker set up, sounds like the water is the main problem.

Could you use a small hand, siphon pump to empty it into a bucket?

Just a thought, good luck with it. Very Happy

I have a drain spout built in that drains out the back of the cooker. It just leaves behind so much greasy goo.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: