FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Montreal Smoked Meat
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ComradeQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30 13 10:20 am    Post subject: Montreal Smoked Meat Reply with quote

Barely ever get to have any fun anymore, started a new job on midnights and I never seem to sleep enough! Anyway, I picked up a 14lb brisket and decided I would use it to make some Montreal Smoked Meat. And since there was a request in another thread for the recipe, and since I haven't been contributing as much lately, I owe the Ring an update.

This is something I have made up after doing some research and combining several recipes and a few touches of my own. Keep in mind I have only just started the cure so we will have to wait a week or so for an update when I start smoking it. Crossing my fingers that this works out!

Montreal Smoked Meat:
(For a 12-14lb Brisket)

The Rub:
1 ¼ Cups Brown Sugar
1/8 Cup Ground Nutmeg
1/8 Cup Ground Cloves
1/8 Cup Chili Flakes
1/8 Cup Cinnamon
1/8 Cup Course Cracked Black Pepper
1/8 Cup Celery Seed
1/8 Cup Dill Seed
¼ Cup Smoked Sea Salt or Kosher Salt
¼ Cup Dried Onion Flakes
¼ Cup Dried Garlic Flakes
1/8 Cup Fennel Seed
1/8 Cup Mustard Seed
¼ Cup Coriander Seed

The Brine: (Did this by weight as I find it more exact)
4 Litres of water
180 Grams Kosher Salt
120 Grams Cure #1 (or roughly 7.5 Tbsp)
60 Grams Dextrose
20 Grams Ascorbic Acid (Optional)

Directions:
- Toast the fennel, mustard, and coriander seeds then combine all of the rub ingredients together in a large bowl.
- In a large pot, combine all the ingredients for the brine and stir well. If not dissolving you can gently heat the brine but make sure to add the Cure #1 after removing from heat. Chill before pouring over meat.
- Clean the brisket of large mounds of fat if desired. Traditional Montreal Smoked Meat is done with a double brisket with very little fat trimmed from it. The customer then has the choice of lean, medium, or fatty cuts … trim to your liking. Typically the point and flat are left together as the layer of fat between the meat is considered a good thing. If you don’t like it simply separate the point and flat and save the point for a separate use.
- Rub a generous coating of the rub all over the brisket, using roughly half the amount or so. The remaining rub will be used later.
- Place rubbed brisket in a large plastic or glass container (no metal, it will react) and pour the brine over top so the entire brisket is covered. You will need to place a weight over top of the meat (a plate or something works well – again not metal) to keep the brisket submerged. Cover and place in fridge.
- Brine, turning every day, for 1 to 1.5 weeks.
- Remove from brine, rinse and then soak the cured brisket for 3 hours, changing the water every hour or so. Remove from water and pat dry. Leave brisket in cool dry place for a few hours to allow it to form a pellicle (this is a sticky surface on the meat that allows better smoke absorption) either on a rack in the fridge or in a drafty area or in front of a small fan.
- Using the reserved rub from earlier, rub the entire outside of the meat. Place in smoker and smoke for 1-2 hours at 150F then turn heat up to 200-220F until an I.T. of 165F is reached.
- Remove from smoker and allow to rest wrapped in foil and some towels for a few hours.
- Prior to serving, remove from wrap, place on a rack over a large roasting tray, add reserved liquid from the brisket as well as some water (or just water) so it sits below the rack holding your meat. Place on stove and heat so the water gently steams the brisket until the brisket is very tender but not falling apart. Remove from steam.
- Hand slice thinly and pile high on some good Jewish rye with a high quality deli mustard. Serve with a sour pickle or half sour pickle (kosher style) and enjoy!

The Rub:

The Brisket, trimmed of some fat:

In the Brine:
BUGSnBBQ
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30 13 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking and sounding good so far! Never had 'Montreal Smoked Meat', but it sounds great. That spice mix looks to be really good. Good luck with your project, I can't wait to see the finished product.
The Matt Ryan of LIARS! (#2)

I had the RIGHT to remain silent, I just didn't have the ABILITY.

Support your 2nd Amendment RIGHT. Criminals prefer unarmed victims.
BluDawg
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30 13 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canadan Pastrami??
Webber 22 OTS
Memorial UDS "Big Jim"
ComradeQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30 13 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BUGSnBBQ wrote:
Looking and sounding good so far! Never had 'Montreal Smoked Meat', but it sounds great. That spice mix looks to be really good. Good luck with your project, I can't wait to see the finished product.

It is to Montreal what pastrami is to New York, however it is quite different too. I will smoke it using some maple on my MES40, Montreal smoked meat should be smokey but not as much as pastrami, and traditionally it is done with mild sugar maple as that is what Quebec has in abundance.
mactoo
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30 13 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks awesome! I want to try this. Where do you get your brisket?
ComradeQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31 13 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mactoo wrote:

I hope it is! I got mine at The Butcher Shoppe in Etobicoke, a whole sale restaurant supplier that also has a small back door retail operation. You end up at the mercy of whatever the guy decides to charge you and the more you buy the cheaper they are. I got that 14lb beast for $3.50/lb which is one of the best prices I have found in Southern Ontario lately.
MacEggs
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31 13 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm quite sure this will be good. You don't usually disappoint.
That's not too bad of a price for up here.

Should be awesome Toronto ... sorry ... I mean, Montreal smoked meat. Shocked Wink Wink

The cookers (so far).
Some Weber kettles of various age, color and size
UDS & Mini UDS
Abby Normal ECB
Napoleon Propane Grill
Kettleman
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01 13 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mactoo wrote:

I didn't know until recently there was another member in Orillia. I've been buying brisket here for the last couple of years.

This looks like a great cook coming! Very Happy
18.5 WSM, mods & custom smoke rack.
Maverick 732
Thermapen
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02 13 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking great so far..

The rub sounds excellent.

My deli supplier tells me that Montreal smoked meat is smoked and then steamed unlike pastrami which is only smoked. Anyways.. Look forward to the finished product and some sandwich pix.. Dont forget the Mrs Whites pickles. Wink

We get the beef and pork for B8's from The Butcher Shoppe.. Great company.
LIAR #100

Last edited by roxy on Mon Sep 02 13 11:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02 13 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mactoo wrote:

You can get brisket from The butcher shop in Barrie..
LIAR #100
Canadian Bacon
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03 13 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good...but i am waiting for a pic of it thinly sliced and piled high on some good rye.... mustard and pickles on mine. Very Happy
Napoleon Legend Gasser
20"& 26" Discada
Two of the fastest Thermapens ever made ... Black& Blue
LIAR #25
Inner10
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03 13 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

roxy wrote:
Looking great so far..

My deli supplier tells me that Montreal smoked meat is smoked and then steamed unlike pastrami which is only smoked. Anyways.. Look forward to the finished product and some sandwich pix.. Dont forget the Mrs Whites pickles. Wink

Have a pastrami sandwich in NY and they keep the pastrami in the steamer just like a deli in Montreal. The only difference is pastrami is made with beef navel and smoked meat is brisket...and Pastrami has a seasoning mix that is heavy on the black pepper and smoked meat is tamer and more complex.

For you US residents just think of taking corned beef, rubbing it in steak spice, sugar and smoking it then before you serve it you steam it and slice in, pile high ontop of rye with yellow mustard. Ta-dah smoked meat.
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03 13 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inner10 wrote:
roxy wrote:
Looking great so far..

Have a pastrami sandwich in NY and they keep the pastrami in the steamer just like a deli in Montreal. The only difference is pastrami is made with beef navel and smoked meat is brisket...and Pastrami has a seasoning mix that is heavy on the black pepper and smoked meat is tamer and more complex.

For you US residents just think of taking corned beef, rubbing it in steak spice, sugar and smoking it then before you serve it you steam it and slice in, pile high ontop of rye with yellow mustard. Ta-dah smoked meat.

Yep.. both are held in a steamer for service.. you are right. But, what I am speaking of is the preperation of the meat before the steam table..

Corned beef is steamed to cook the cured meat to done. Pastrami is smoked to cook the cured meat to done.. Traditional Montreal smoked meat is par smoked, par steamed to cook the cured meat to done..

But what do I know.. I only work in a deli... Rolling Eyes
LIAR #100
BUGSnBBQ
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03 13 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to disagree. Pastrami is smoked to half done and then steamed (or boiled) to finish.

Corned beef is steamed or boiled. Always boiled, with onions, carrots, and taters, if you're Irish Catholic (like I was raised).

roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03 13 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BUGSnBBQ wrote:
I have to disagree. Pastrami is smoked to half done and then steamed (or boiled) to finish.

Corned beef is steamed or boiled. Always boiled, with onions, carrots, and taters, if you're Irish Catholic (like I was raised).

Dont know where you get your information from but deli meat is never boiled.... You are thinking of home food and not deli.. Deli corned beef is never boiled.. And real pastrami is smoked till done and steamed to tender.. Done and tender are two different things...

Didn't know the Irish had anything to do with deli meats as I thought it was a Jewish thing.. And from what I know, as I am half Irish, the corned beef we ate was a raw cured product that we cooked off with cabbage, carrots, onions and taters... Not the same end result as deli meats afore mentioned.

But again.. What do I know.. I only work in a deli........
LIAR #100
BUGSnBBQ
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04 13 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess we're talking about different ways/styles of cooking. Home vs Deli. I went on a trip to NYC at Christmas time a few years ago to do three things - Ice skate at Rockefeller Center under the big tree, see Times Square, and eat as many Pastrami sammies as I could. I went to Katz's, Stage, Carnegie, Artie's, 2nd Ave, and a couple of small deli's. All were great, some were mind-blowing (like the little place that boiled their meat - can't remember the name). Also there's a place in California called Johnny's Pastrami (In Culver City IIRC) that had the best sammich ever. Completely unorthodox - Meat was smoked, sliced, boiled for a couple minutes in au jus, put on bread like for po-boy, cheese, onions, and pickles - Damn good!

BUGSnBBQ wrote:

I meant to say Corned Beef and Cabbage Embarassed . Always on St. Patricks Day.

roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04 13 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BUGSnBBQ wrote:
I guess we're talking about different ways/styles of cooking. Home vs Deli. I went on a trip to NYC at Christmas time a few years ago to do three things - Ice skate at Rockefeller Center under the big tree, see Times Square, and eat as many Pastrami sammies as I could. I went to Katz's, Stage, Carnegie, Artie's, 2nd Ave, and a couple of small deli's. All were great, some were mind-blowing (like the little place that boiled their meat - can't remember the name). Also there's a place in California called Johnny's Pastrami (In Culver City IIRC) that had the best sammich ever. Completely unorthodox - Meat was smoked, sliced, boiled for a couple minutes in au jus, put on bread like for po-boy, cheese, onions, and pickles - Damn good!

BUGSnBBQ wrote:

I meant to say Corned Beef and Cabbage Embarassed . Always on St. Patricks Day.

You are lucky.. I would love to go to NYC just for the deli.. One of these days.
LIAR #100
ComradeQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08 13 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting discussions here since I've been gone. So I got impatient and needed me some smoked meat. Took it out and let it form a pellicle for a few hours then liberally coated the whole outside again with the rub. Put it in the smoker at 3am and let it run until 3pm Saturday, started at 150f for the first two hours then increased to 220f from then on. At about 9am I decided to reduce the heat to 200 and it seemed to find the sweet spot for cooking. By 3pm I had reached an IT of 165 and promptly pulled it (man was my stomach rumbling by now!) And placed it on a large roasting rack with a inch of water underneath. I wrapped it well with foil and steamed for approximately 2 hours until it reached 180 IT. I sampled a slice and decided it needed 15 more mins in the steamer so I increased the IT to 187 and then pulled it. Finally, the texture I was looking for!!! Tender, spicy, sweet, smokey, it didn't fall apart but it was extremely tender.

Now for the proof ...

In my MES40 with some maple:

First Slicing:

Sliced ... look at that juice:

On some rye bread with yellow mustard and a half sour pickle:

I ate three of these babies over the night and each was better than the last. I was all alone and needed to share the goodness of 14lbs of amazing smoked meat so a friend came by with his new baby and I sent him home with a large slab after he stood moaning between mouthfulls of the stuff saying how perfect it was ... that won a take home bag!

In all seriousness, never having tried this and using a recipe I basically devised myself, I was apprehensive about the outcome. However, this my friends is as near to perfect as I could have asked for!! Thanks for following and I highly recommend all of you go out and do this now ... go on, get off the computer, buy a brisket, start making Montreal Smoked Meat! You just know you want to!!! Wink
BUGSnBBQ
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09 13 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DRRROOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!! Laughing

That looks fantastic! Great job.

roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09 13 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The wait was worth it. Very nice job there..

Now get busy and make up a couple reubens.
LIAR #100
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: