FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dr. Pepper Brisket on the new UDS this weekend

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bkndsdl
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12 13 11:11 pm    Post subject: Dr. Pepper Brisket on the new UDS this weekend Reply with quote

Gonna try this recipe for brisket cook this weekend:

Dr. Pepper Brisket

This'll be my second cook in the UDS after building it (check the sig for a link to my build). Got a turkey under my belt, and it turned out awesome, so now I'm going for a low-n-slow-n-loooong to see how it goes.

Since I didn't wanna go with a 14 pounder the first go at it, I had the meat market cut one in half; it's about 6 lbs. Got it marinating last night and I hope to have it on the smoker first thing Saturday morning.

Stay tuned!

K.I.S.S. U.D.S.
My DBS
My Hybrid Build
Alien BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13 13 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope everything goes well especially after you shot yourself in the foot. The 14 lb'er is easier to cook. Although brisket is reportable the hardest meat to cook. Anyway, I am sure you will do fine. Just take a look at some of the great recipes and instruction on this site and we will have you up to 22lb's in no time flat.
Bkndsdl
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13 13 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alien BBQ wrote:
Hope everything goes well especially after you shot yourself in the foot. The 14 lb'er is easier to cook. Although brisket is reportable the hardest meat to cook. Anyway, I am sure you will do fine. Just take a look at some of the great recipes and instruction on this site and we will have you up to 22lb's in no time flat.

Thanks Alien, I've done brisket many times before but never on this UDS. I've done them in ceramic grills, cheapo offsets + oven, and even oven + brown-in bag. I've never tried this recipe but I've basically done the same thing with sprite and Moore's marinade, always turned out good......cooking to temp's the key I've found.

I had to talk myself out of the bigun.......lol.......I'll do one soon, usually split the cost with some coworkers and take it in to work so it doesn't spoil, but this time it's just for the fam bc I didn't want to promise someone something and have it not turn out, and also I didn't want to cook a ton for the fam and then have to feed it to the hound when they get tired of it every day.............

K.I.S.S. U.D.S.
My DBS
My Hybrid Build
BUGSnBBQ
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14 13 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get yourself a vac-sealer and freeze portions for later. It's just the wife and myself so when I do PP, for example, I'll do 2 (Or 3...or 4... Laughing ) butts. Basically same time and fuel consumption. Then I'll vac-seal 1-2 pound portions and freeze. That way I can have a PP sammie any time I want. Even on a Wednesday night!
The Matt Ryan of LIARS! (#2)

I had the RIGHT to remain silent, I just didn't have the ABILITY.

Support your 2nd Amendment RIGHT. Criminals prefer unarmed victims.
Bkndsdl
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14 13 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BUGSnBBQ wrote:
Get yourself a vac-sealer and freeze portions for later. It's just the wife and myself so when I do PP, for example, I'll do 2 (Or 3...or 4... Laughing ) butts. Basically same time and fuel consumption. Then I'll vac-seal 1-2 pound portions and freeze. That way I can have a PP sammie any time I want. Even on a Wednesday night!

Awesome advice, thanks Bugs......actually looking to buy a vac-sealer for that very reason. Thanks man, and enjoy those Wednesday sammiches!

K.I.S.S. U.D.S.
My DBS
My Hybrid Build
Bkndsdl
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14 13 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Off and runnin.......I took the brisket out of the 2 gallon Ziploc bag, and poured the marinade in a pot. Before I heated the marinade, I injected it into the brisket. Added pomegranate juice to the marinade, boiled it and after it cooled put it in the spritz bottle.

Fat cap up. I'm using lump for the fire and hickory chunks for smoke. I am using a water pan. UDS is holding steady at 240-250.....

K.I.S.S. U.D.S.
My DBS
My Hybrid Build
Bkndsdl
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14 13 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here she is, rolling right along at 250.

...after 3 hours, time to wrap with foil.

Wrapped it up nice and tight, and topped off the water pan. Reset the temp monitor to 197, and we're off again!

K.I.S.S. U.D.S.
My DBS
My Hybrid Build
Bkndsdl
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14 13 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love how rock-solid the temps are on this thing, and just how fast it recovers......

K.I.S.S. U.D.S.
My DBS
My Hybrid Build
Bkndsdl
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15 13 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Done........

It turned out good, but not as good as I was hoping. It isn't dry by any means, but it isn't as moist as I have done in the past. I am probably going to do my usual recipe on the next brisket.

Smoker worked flawlessly again!

K.I.S.S. U.D.S.
My DBS
My Hybrid Build
BUGSnBBQ
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15 13 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good to me! I was going to do a brisket this weekend (Trying BluDawg's H&F method), but all I could find was a flat for $7/lb Shocked , and I ain't paying that Laughing

Bkndsdl
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15 13 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BUGSnBBQ wrote:
Looks good to me! I was going to do a brisket this weekend (Trying BluDawg's H&F method), but all I could find was a flat for $7/lb Shocked , and I ain't paying that Laughing

Thanks Bugs! Fam's not complaining a bit, been a while since I made one....lol.........I am my own worst critic I guess. Rolling Eyes

That's a bit steep! I was kinda freaking out paying $5 a lb......but that's crazy! Shocked

What is H&F? Where did you find BluDawgs' recipe?

K.I.S.S. U.D.S.
My DBS
My Hybrid Build
BUGSnBBQ
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15 13 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

H&F=Hot and Fast, instead of low and slow.

Here's his thread.

And even $5/lb is more than I want to spend. I usually try to get Choice CAB for $3-$4/lb (packer).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: