FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Join MAMP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alien BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04 13 2:53 am    Post subject: Join MAMP Reply with quote

Join the MAMP (Men Against Melting Pot) coalition.
Now longer shall we sit idly by as our wives and girlfriends spend over $160 on melted cheese and scraps of beef with a few lousy shrimp on the side. We must ban together with one voice and say “stop the madness”. For $160 you could feed your entire softball team with gourmet burgers or BBQ AND….. Beer. It is a conspiracy by Hollywood types that equates how much you love them with the amount you are willing to spend for melted cheese and chocolate. Just say no …… and let me know how that works out for you.

MAMP is not affiliated with any political action group and does not lead to global warming. Void where prohibited by law and your results may vary, consult an accountant if your wallet deflation last longer than 4 hours. Very Happy Shocked

Last edited by Alien BBQ on Wed Sep 04 13 3:45 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
mbellot
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04 13 3:17 am    Post subject: Re: Join MAMP Reply with quote

Alien BBQ wrote:
Join the MAMP (Men Against Melting Pot) coalition.

MAMP is not affiliated with any political action group and does not lead to global warming. Void where prohibited by law and your results may vary. Very Happy Shocked

Sorry, I no longer participate in things that don't contribute to global warming.

Wink
BigOrson
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04 13 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We ate there...once.
necron 99
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04 13 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never eaten there, most likely never will eat there

I'd steer everyone to a churrascaria - literally - by being the Designated Driver Wink
enduro

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04 13 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I first heard that the Melting Pot first opened here locally (25 miles from home), I'll admit that I was curious. Did a little research and quickly determined that this wasn't the type of place for me. Honestly, I figured that in a year or so after opening, that the place would be shuttered like so many of the other trendy types that come in with a splash and then quickly fizzle. Perhaps I shouldn't comment because I have never walked thru the door, but I can't immagine any meal being worth $160. Call me cheap if you want, but for that kind of money I can enjoy several really good meals with my sweety.

I'm not in the see and be seen crowd - never have been, never will be, but I also don't hold anything against them. More power to the folks that enjoy that sort of thing. In fact, I can even appreciate the fact that they're still going strong in our area. Just keeps a few folks out of the types of restaurants that I do enjoy going to. It's Diners, Drive-in's, and Dives for us!
k.c.hawg
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04 13 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not eaten at the Melting Pot or a place with that cooking style. That being said if my wife says she wants to go....so be it. My wife is just as likely to ask to stop at a white wood shack BBQ joint that has a sign that say's "cold beer and pool table". She is not high maintenance or in the want to be seen crowd....but occasionally she likes to be treated to a place that has a table for 2 in the window overlooking the lake at sunset. My dry aged Porterhouse might run me $59, her seafood $45, appetizer, cocktails, wine with dinner and the tip.......$225. I don't think twice about it and wouldn't say a word if I did because......I like to do things with her that she enjoys.

It's a two way street guys. In my backyard sits a $tickburner, a Ceramic, a Weber 26.75, 22.75, Smokey Joe, UDS. That along with the hundreds and hundreds of $ of accessories and gadgets and she brought most of it for me because she knows it makes me happy! She's all in on NFL season tickets and spending 10 8hr days at the stadium each year with $150 tailgate parties, MLB games 10+ times a year, college games and tailgates. On and on and on!!

So it's not a matter of what it is that they want to do, that we don't understand or put the same value on as they do. It is understanding that we are all better off helping the ones we love...... live some of the moments they want to live. As I say....my wife 9 out of 10 times prefers a dive to a $$$$ place. But when she say's I want to go to $$$$ for dinner I'm all over it. Lucky for me she has good taste and usually wants to go to a place whose food I deem to be of $$$$ quality.

Bite the bullet guys and make your women feel special like Alien did!!! Razz
30" Masterbuilt Digital
UDS (Named Uddley by Mrs K.C.)
Weber 26.75 One Touch
Weber 22.5 Silver Touch
Weber Smokey Joe
Superfast Red Thermopen
Razorback born and bred!
Mr Tony's BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05 13 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

our "local" one has a Sunday $25 special..and thats in the "money" part of town!...cheese, mix o meats, vegies and chocolate fondu..the building looks like a re-vamped ponderosa [ el-cheapo steak joint ] to me
That being said - I would never even consider stopping on my behalf, but if the Mrs was buying.......But then again - $25 for what looks like a snack and I have to cook it??!!
We have a grill your own place that I can get a choice 1 pound top sirloin with ALL the fixin's for around $20.00, and they'll cook it for an extra $2.00!! My sweet pea would take that over fondu and marinated meat scraps any day of the week.....Garlic butter dripping off Texas toast beats melted cheese on stale bread hands down IMHO, and thankfully, hers!
Being Blessed with income from my passion!
WWW.MRTONYSBBQ.COM
1buckie
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06 13 12:40 am    Post subject: Re: Join MAMP Reply with quote

For a hundred & sixty bucks you would think they could organize the green onions on top of the raw chicken a little better......
It's gonna say on my tombstone: Died of thick, heavy sauces ~~~~>K
" The Creepy Guy Down the Street With All The Webers"
DUMMY QUE

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06 13 11:15 am    Post subject: MEALTING POT Reply with quote

a fool and her money will soon be parted
UGAfan09

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10 13 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do I think it's worth the money? No sir. But my wife loves the Melting Pot and I love her so............we got to the Melting Pot.
purplewg
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10 13 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Count me in Alien.
I was once invited to go out to dinner with a couple years ago. I had offered to have a cook out at my place but the couple had a restaurant they wanted me to try. I knew I was out of my element when I pulled into the parking lot and really knew when the doorman handed me a sport coat. Men must wear at least a Sport Coat at this place. I suffered through a 2 hour grueling meal. While it was good, I have cooked better myself for far less $$.

Don't squat with your spurs on.........
Fig Pucker
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10 13 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife loves MP. thankfully the nearest one is about 45 mintues away so we don't go out there very often.

We usually get a complete dinner (appetizer pot, a mixed meat/seafood entree and a desert pot) for about $80.00. Add in a few drinks and with tax and tip it get's up there. I agree it's exspensive for what you get, (and it's not even cooked!) but you're paying for the experieince and atmosphere. Rolling Eyes

However, I don't mind it very much. It's something different and since we only go once or twice a year it's not a big deal. Funny the one by us doesn't require a jacket. Just proper dress ("Business Casual").

Now overpaying for bad BBQ, steaks or bad seafood....that gets me mad. Twisted Evil I am much more pickier when it comes to that than the occasional foo foo dinner for the wife.
capitalism
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11 13 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My First Melting pot experience was around 20 years ago in Atlanta.

Rough, clunky wood building. Great waiters. Too much food and not too pricey. Awesome idea. Left feeling like I'd be back.

Fast forward - one comes to town. NOT the same place at all. I'm a lifetime member of MAMP.

Cap
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: