FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Char grill American gourmet

View previous topic :: View next topic  
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27 05 8:48 pm    Post subject: Char grill American gourmet Reply with quote

Well, my wife got tired of me moppin around the apartment not being able to make BBQ. So she coaxed me out of the closet by offered me some of her bonus money she got form work to get me a smoker.
The problem is there are not a lot of smokers available here in Canada. Walmart and Home depot do not carry smokers at all. Only two to be found in the whole city. One is a pellet feed electric unit that to my dismay cost $1000.00.... The other one is the bottom end unit made by Char grill called the Americian gourmet. With no other options available and concidering that this smoker will be in my mothers backyard, a home made unit was out of the question, we made the purchase.
After 2 beers and about 20 minutes I got the unit together and ready to go. I must say I am impressed with the little unit, it worked well, held its temp nicely and with a slight mod of a home made baffle plate, cooked fairly evenly.
For my first smoke with the unit I did 2 - 8lb butts to take to a family reunion. Every one loved the pulled pork and cleaned the container out on me.
For any one thinkin of getting into BBQ or like me on a very limited budget, this inexpensive unit is well worth it.

Cant wait for next weekend.
LIAR #100
sledgehammer03
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01 05 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Roxy,

A transplanted Canuck down here in the USA. Got a Char-Griller Smokin' Pro with side fire box a few weeks ago, bes BBQ I have ever had. Doing a Brisket for the 4th. I have also extended the smokestack down to the grill level, uses way less fuel, and make temp control much easier.

Sledge
BobberQue
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02 05 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Roxy and Sledge hammer

Wow what a coincidence !!! Just came back from Home Dumpo Saw , I think it was, a Char Broil, offset for $149 If you guys say its that good I'm going out to get one ... Got a few barnyard animals I'm fixing to smoke this w/e...

Que'in with a smile
Bob
sledgehammer03
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02 05 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the hard core guys will give it the thumbs down, but I like it, and can afford it. Makes great tasting meat, and gives me another excuse to spend hours in the yard with my cooler of High Life
JimH
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02 05 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't see why anyone would knock it. Anything that holds the heat and smoke in will work just fine. Last ten years all I had was a $50 Brinkman bullet smoker, same type of metal yours is made of, it did the job. Have fun and enjoy yourself, Happy Canada Day!
BBQBLiTZ

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02 05 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing wrong with those cheap char broil smokers. If it's all you can get your hands on, go for it!

Last edited by BBQBLiTZ on Sun Feb 13 11 5:55 am; edited 1 time in total
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02 05 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the words of the CHETMAN:

Send up a smoke signal...
LIAR #100
chetman21161
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02 05 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CHETMAN HERE, SENDIN' UP A SMOKE SIGNAL ON THAT BRINKMAN GOURMET AND CHAR-BROIL SILVER SMOKER. I HAPPEN TO HAVE BOTH OF THEM AND THEY WORK FINE. Cool I'LL HAVE TO REPOST PICTURES OF THE CHAR-BROIL IN OPERATION. Shocked HAVE RECENTLY PURCHASED FROM "NJ BBQ" (JEFF), HIS CUSTOM LONESTAR GATOR PIT Cool WHICH CAN BE SEEN AT GATORPIT.COM. LOVE IT. THANKS BUDDY! SO EASY TO CONTROL THE TEMP. BUT WILL BE USING ALL THREE FOR A BIG PARTY AT THE END OF THE MONTH. Laughing
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02 05 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sledgehammer:

Welcome to the forum fellow Cannuck. I just love the smoker, though it is not very big it does a real nice job.. I did 4 Chicken halves a rack of side ribs and 3 lbs of corned beef brisket today.

Jeffy- I did the ribs dry this time and I got to confess, they were so damn good I did not dare put sauce on em... Now you can sing the I was right song... Laughing

One question, how do you prevent the skin on the chicken from gettin all leathery..?? Didnt have that problem at the smokehouse.

We had a street party here in town and my cousins duet was playin outside one of the pubs. Then down to the lake for an awesome display of fireworks.. What a great Canada Day

Hope all my American friends have as good a time on the 4th as I did today.
LIAR #100
allsmokenofire
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03 05 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roxy....good to see another convert over to the "dry" side Laughing

To keep the chicken skin from gettin' tough, try spritzin' it w/ apple juice( I prefer AJ witha lil bourbon in it) while it smokes. The additional moisture will keep it from gettin' tough while it cooks.
JerryM

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03 05 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the CharBroil Silver Smoker and it works great. I can maintain a 225 temp with just patience and a small to medium fire. I use mine with the vents wide open and control the fire size. For heat I use hardwood charcoal and add in hickory or mesquite chucks for smoke.

Jerry
boss284

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05 05 10:42 pm    Post subject: Smoker Reply with quote

I started on a Char-Broil offset smoker! Home Depot purchase. It does a good job. I have a 84 Deluxe Lang Smoker now for the big jobs. For the family I use the Charbroil offset smoker. Both do a fine job.
Up In Smoke!
sledgehammer03
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06 05 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If only I could quit my job and smoke meat every day. Did a 15lb Brisket on my Char-Griller, 18 hours and 25 lbs of charcoal and some home grown cherry. It was the best I ever had, next time it will be piggy! Very Happy
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11 05 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a thermometer, the kind you set in the oven, to see if the temperature guage is correct. When the smokers temp read 300 degrees the one inside read 240. It seemed to be 60 degrees off no matter that temp the smoker was reading. So I figure I would try to maintain a temp of 275 on the outside and my spares came out awesome. Had the slabs on for 6 hours this time.
LIAR #100
allsmokenofire
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11 05 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet....amazing the difference in gauges to actual temps sometimes. Now, the $64 dollar(what's that, about $100 canadian?? Laughing ) question is.......wet or dry?? Very Happy
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11 05 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike:

I did them dry again this time. I had a sauce which I served on the side but I never got to it. They ribs were way to tasty on their own to bother with the sauce. I used some pecan pellets in tinfoil blanets this time. My wife and my Ma both tried the sauce on one rib and never went back once they had one without it...

My guess is that the ribs I was eatin in the past were not that good and sauce was needed cause they lacked the flavour I have been able to create as of late. Ribs were never my thing as I tended to do pork butt.

To be honest that has been my contention all the while. "It the 'Q' is good enough it dont need sauce." I still prefer beef ribs with sauce.
LIAR #100
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: