FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wrought Iron Fence?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BamaSmokin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01 13 1:31 am    Post subject: Wrought Iron Fence? Reply with quote

Hey guys, hope it's ok to post this here. The description of this forum said it didn't have to be about smokers so I thought what the heck.

I'm fixing to put up about 30' of fence at my house and thought about doing it myself. I know a lot of you guys are very experienced welders so I though if check with you guys and see if you have any experience at this.

Would like any info you have to offer. If I do decide to try this myself I figure I'll build me a jig so if any of you guys have any tips on this let me know. The part I'm figuring that will be the most challenging is the gate for the driveway.
Anyone have any advice/suggestions they could offer? Would greatly appreciate it.
Thanks
James
gandrfab
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01 13 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a one of a kind that's about 30' I wouldn't build a jig.
I would work of a flat surface and stack what I wanted to match.

A world if information and ideas can be found here.
http://www.kingmetals.com/Home.aspx
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01 13 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are talking wrought iron, then you are talking more forging than welding, though there is forge welding in there as well.

I used to work for a wrought iron works as a Saturday Job, while in high school, they made fences, gates, grates, and interior / exterior lighting features.

The majority of the grunt work is done with pinned jigs, especially for curlicues, twists and turns, and I really enjoyed the heating, and beating, to end up with a finished product, bearing little in common with what you start out with.

I'd be tempted to build it out of pipe and tube with a welding kit, but if you are going wrought iron, then it would be rod and bar, and you'll need a forge for heating, pipe bending gear will come in handy, as will anvils and a pin table, a pin table is a flat piece of plate that has holes drilled in it, you drop steel pins into the holes, and use your muscles to bend the heated rods and bars into the shapes you want.

You can make a pretty efficient gas forge, or a forced air charcoal forge... check out Youtube on forge building!

I still work here!
BamaSmokin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01 13 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea I guess wrought iron wasn't the right term for what I'm building. Looking to just build it out of tubing. That actually brings me to another question. Should I make this out of standard square tubing or do they make like a lighter gauge that maybe I should use for the fence?
Thanks for the help fellas.
gandrfab
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01 13 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huge amount of choices in size and thickness.
This is the supplier I use for most of my steel.

http://www.alro.com/divsteel/metals.aspx
TrailerBuilder
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01 13 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a fun little project. Tubing or pipe would be what I would make it out of. If your not going to hang anything on the fence like a wood fencing or anything like that, I would use a 14ga tubing. 1x2, 1 1/2 square, 2x2 2x3 2x4, my steel shop even has a cool OVAL PIPE that is pretty cool looking and different. They also sell some pipe and tubing caps that are pretty cool and decorative. You could get as creative as you want or just stay simple but even at 30', I would make a simple jig, once you get the first panel squared and built like you want, jig it and the rest of your panels are identical. I built a ton of racks for a lumber company and built a simple and cheap jig out of 7/16 chip board and 2x4's. It was lightweight and easy to move around. I sat it up on my sawhorses and worked at a comfortable height. It will save you time in the long run for sure.

Good luck with your project, better take some pics Very Happy
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01 13 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BamaSmokin, I built this fence around two of my court yards. The panels are roughly 8' long. I built a jig to build the panels and gates.

Gate to the large court yard.

Fence panels. The panels are bolted to the poles.

I built this jig out of 2" x 4"s and plywood. The 2" x 4" blocks were for my upper and lower rails to rest against assuring all my panels were the same.

I attached some 1/8" sheet metal to the top so my points had something to bump against.

I hope this helps. Very Happy

Hybrid Cooker
BamaSmokin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01 13 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the info guys. I think I'm definitely going to build a jig.
That's looks great kam. That's something along the lines of what I'm looking for. Can you explain your jig a little more for me. Pardon my ignorance but I just can't wrap my head around it. I had in mind incorporating all my pickets into my jig. I'm sure you are way a head of me and already do, guess I just don't see it. Bare with me I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed.
Thanks
James
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02 13 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BamaSmokin, the jig is meant to lay down I have it leaning against a wall in my warehouse.
The right hand edge that meets the bottom is the square side.
The vertical 2" x 4" pieces on the bottom edge are where the top rail lays against. The 2" x 4"s laying flat on the top portion are where the lower rail lays.
The 2" x 4" pieces keep the rails evenly spaced.

Hybrid Cooker
Tom C
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02 13 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I built this fence around a family plot on land my wife's family once owned. I used a jig much like the one that K.A.M. used except I set the pickets between the top and bottom rails and centered them. I made the sections of fencing to match the ones that can be found at Home Depot. I used them as a guide.
I used a wire feed welder for the job.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Welding All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: