FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mods to the Weber 26.75 Kettle

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kettleman
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10 13 3:38 am    Post subject: Mods to the Weber 26.75 Kettle Reply with quote

A couple of years ago I decided I wanted a bigger Kettle. Thought I might want a Komado. I was looking at the Weber 26.75 as well as the Egg, Primo and Vision Komados. I noticed the unused space under the charcoal grate of the Weber 26. It was taller than the 22 but the clearances from the charcoal grate to the grill were the same as was the height from the cooking grate to the underside of the lid. I was in a BBQ store one day looking at the cast iron cooking grate for the large Egg, took it over to the 26” Weber, removed the charcoal grate and an idea was born. Idea I decided to create a Komado type Kettle.

The 26’s are known to have weak legs so that was the first modification I wanted to make. Took my design from the OTP I had.

Fastened the bowl to the frame and made tabs for the leg supports to rest on.

[img]
Laid in the CI grate. I always foil the unused portion of the grate unless I'm grilling.
[img]

Some paint, wheels, cedar shelves and a front handle for that big lid and we have a cooker.

Been reading about the porcelain cracking on some of the kettles. I suspect it happens from banking coals in the same location which is something I like to do so I made up my own charcoal basket.

I like fire brick too but the 3/16" mild steel radiates heat like the brick but takes up less space for things like drip pans or D/O's. Sometimes I will just lay brick in on their flat to add thermal mass.

I added Nomex to the underside of the lid along with two extended lid vents to give the kettle some cross flow. My idea was to keep the smoke in the kettle longer and prevent the heat from escaping at its highest point. I use 1" wooden dowel to restrict the air flow but almost always keep the wheel vents closest to the middle of the lid closed.

LNS cooks are really easy to do on the 26. It has great capacity for cooking multiple items at the same time and you can cook on more than one level. Very Happy [/img]
18.5 WSM, mods & custom smoke rack.
Maverick 732
Thermapen
Maniac
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10 13 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice work on the mods...should last a long time Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: