FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Advise on holding prime rib for couple of hours

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigfoote

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27 13 10:11 pm    Post subject: Advise on holding prime rib for couple of hours Reply with quote

I'm smoking two 5 lb rib roasts tomorrow and will have to hold them a couple of hours before serving. Although I like mine medium rare, the group I'm cooking for likes more medium to medium well. I'm planning on smoking at 250 degrees to an internal temp of 125 and wrapping them and putting in an ice chest (like I do my butts). I'm hoping that they will continue to cook and reach 140 to 145. Will this work or can anyone with experience give me advise. Thanks.
BigOrson
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27 13 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think your carry-over is going to hit 15-20 degrees. In my experience, 10 degrees is pushing it.

I do a prime rib each holiday (T'day, Xmas and Easter) and I've done it the same way for years. I roast it to an internal 128-30 and let it rest until about 30 minutes before the rest of the meal is ready. I fire up the broiler and broil it until I get the desired amount of crust. Let it rest for 5-10 minutes, then carve. We like our prime rib on the rare side, so you can adjust your temp to reflect the rareness your crowd demands.

BTW, I always buy a bone more than I expect the crowd to eat and put the leftover roast on the deli slicer to make cheesesteak sammitches the next day. I think they are more popular with my crowd than the roast itself.
bigfoote

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28 13 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigOrson, thanks for the advise. I've just found out that my target temp is now 145 to 150. Based on your advise, I plan on taking them off at 135, wrapping and putting in the ice chest. Have a Happy Thanksgiving.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: