FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looking for a new smoker/grill

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zak

PostPosted: Jun 28 2005    Post subject: Looking for a new smoker/grill Reply with quote

We are in the midst of building a new deck and i would like to come up with a new cooking station. I currently have a Brinkmann Pitmaster and good old cheap propane grill I bought at Target 7 years ago. The pitmaster is a good smoker and I have been using it lately as a grill as well. A bit of a pain to grill with as it's so large but the food come out tasting pretty amazing as it has been broken in so well.

I've been thinking about buying a new smaller smoker, one that I can also use as a grill for steaks etc. I was leaning towards a Big Green Egg, but I've been reading about the BackWoods Smokers and the Patio version has climbed pretty close to the top now. Anything else I should be looking at? I'd like to keep the smoker on the smaller side as my pitmaster is just to big. My dream setup would be to have the Patio Backwoods setup on a nice stand that would be line with a built in serving/setup table along with a small gas grill on/built into the table as well for quick use, burgers/hot dogs etc. If they were not soooo $$ I'd buy a nice TEC Cherokee but I just do not want to drop that much for a single burner grill. Amazing grill though.

Any thoughts or other smokers i should look at? Love smoking and want to do ever more of it when we get the deck done.

thanks,.

Zak
dholcomb1946
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Jun 28 2005    Post subject: Me too Reply with quote

I was about to ask a similar question. I have a big offset smoker that is just too big to fire up for 1 butt or a couple of chickens.

I gather from the previous posts that were here that most seem to like the WSM. I saw the Brinkman at Target earlier today. It sure did seem to be thin metal.

The Green Egg looked to be a nice pitt, but in the $700 price range. Not sure I want to go that much for a secondary pit. I like the bullet style as it doesn't take up much floor space.

Any comments ?
Bilkojoe

PostPosted: Jun 28 2005    Post subject: If you want a nice smoker... Reply with quote

Check out www.cookshack.com. I bought a small Smokette Electric all stainless model 009. It has been absolutely incredible. Have done a few butts, a couple briskets and ribs. Have yet to turn out anything but fantastic BBQ. Very efficient on wood usage, only use about 5-6 ounces for 10lbs. of meat. They sell larger smokers, but this one suited me fine. It's truly a set it and forget it smoker with outstanding results. Made in the USA!

If I were you, I'd check it out. I checked many, many smokers/grills before plunking down the cash on this one and I haven't been dissapointed. The forums at their website are fantastic, and the company's customer service is the best.
Zak

PostPosted: Jun 28 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never really thought about an electric smoker. Very nice products though I must say.

One reason I would like a charcoal/wood smoker is that I can also use it as a grill when I need to. but I do like the idea of putting a brisket in before I go to work and having it done when I get home.
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Jul 14 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Consider builing your own, Looks like Jeff T did a great job! Very Happy You can build a great smoker out of just about anything, and the size is determined by your needs, not some manufacturers. Of course if you are not mechanically inclined, there are lots of options to choose from. Never heard anything but good things about the Big Green Egg. I havn't used one personally, but my friends love theirs! Very Happy
Zak

PostPosted: Jul 14 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're still up in the air about waht to do. We've been using our el'cheapo gas grill for quick steaks and burgers. although my wife cooked up some amazing steaks last night on it! Got to love chuck eye steaks.

Our deck is about 70% done so we're still talking about what to do. Really no clue. Would not building one, but I do not want it to be permanent as we're in a townhouse and I'm thinking we'll stay here from another year to 4 more.

I'm still loving the Backyard ones. Maybe just their patio setup along with our cheap gas grill will do the trick.
Chubbs

PostPosted: Jul 16 2005    Post subject: Smoker for Deck Reply with quote

Zak

If you'll look up on the cookers section on the forum, a post from that says looking for cooker designs.....that might be a good option for you for your deck.
Jeff T
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Jul 16 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out many different types of smokers, kick a few tires in person ya know what i mean. What looks good on screen might not be too good, read up on the different types available to you. Of course price is always a factor, metal thickness etc... Then when you find one ya like, buy the next size bigger cause if your like the rest of use you`ll need the extra space that a bigger smoker will provide. Mr. Green
Smokeadelic

PostPosted: Jul 18 2005    Post subject: Backwoods Smoker Reply with quote

I use the Backwoods Smoker Party model. If you're looking for a smoker only, Backwoods is an excellent choice. If you want to grill on the thing as well, go with the Green Egg.

The Backwoods Smoker is an awkward shape for a grill, and is difficult to get hot enough to sear a steak properly. The Green Egg both grills and smokes really well.
allsmokenofire
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Jul 18 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smoke....your handle looks VERY familiar... Confused
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: