FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

212 degree brisket?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Competition BBQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ShortBusBBQ

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20 14 8:32 am    Post subject: 212 degree brisket? Reply with quote

Cooked a 14lb CAB today. 212 degrees between point and flat. Point was 212 and flat was 210. Probed different levels and different spots. STILL NOT TENDER on the flat at 210. The point was like liquid and the flat still tough. WEIRD! Not the first time but still freaks you out. In oven at 190 degrees resting for about an hour. I'll check tenderness again in about 30 minutes.

The pits highest temp was 273. It was put on at 240 degrees. Wrapped after 5 hrs. Cooked wrapped for 3 hrs.

Let's hear the science and/or personal phenomenons.

Last edited by ShortBusBBQ on Thu Mar 20 14 10:12 am; edited 2 times in total
Jo Jo
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20 14 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh....am I missing something?
Deep South GC 48
ShortBusBBQ

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20 14 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha. Just noticed 110. Meant 210. I can't blame autocorrect but I can blame Colorado Kool Aid.
ShortBusBBQ

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20 14 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jo Jo wrote:
Uh....am I missing something?

Yep Jo Jo. 110 would be pretty tough.
ShortBusBBQ

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20 14 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing to see here KAM and Jo Jo. Edited and done.
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20 14 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShortBusBBQ wrote:
Nothing to see here KAM and Jo Jo. Edited and done.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Hybrid Cooker
ShortBusBBQ

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20 14 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOTE TO SELF: don't post on the ring on Wednesdays!
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20 14 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShortBusBBQ wrote:
NOTE TO SELF: don't post on the ring on Wednesdays!

Or you get a lot of these.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Hybrid Cooker
allsmokenofire
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22 14 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When was the last time you calibrated your thermos?
ShortBusBBQ

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22 14 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That wasn't it. I probed it with the Maverick and a brand new thermapen. Temp was same.
thsmoker
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22 14 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 212 degree brisket? Reply with quote

ShortBusBBQ wrote:
Cooked a 14lb CAB today. 212 degrees between point and flat. Point was 212 and flat was 210. Probed different levels and different spots. STILL NOT TENDER on the flat at 210. The point was like liquid and the flat still tough. WEIRD! Not the first time but still freaks you out. In oven at 190 degrees resting for about an hour. I'll check tenderness again in about 30 minutes.

The pits highest temp was 273. It was put on at 240 degrees. Wrapped after 5 hrs. Cooked wrapped for 3 hrs.

Have you cooked a lot of briskets on your pit? I dont wrap, so dont know how that affects the cook time. Takes me longer than 8 hours to get the flat done at 250. I have only cooked a brisket to those temps once on accident -- it was pretty dry and crumbly. I usually cook to high 190s on the flat, wrap for a few hours, slice and eat.
ShortBusBBQ

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23 14 3:45 am    Post subject: Re: 212 degree brisket? Reply with quote

thsmoker wrote:
ShortBusBBQ wrote:

Have you cooked a lot of briskets on your pit? I dont wrap, so dont know how that affects the cook time. Takes me longer than 8 hours to get the flat done at 250. I have only cooked a brisket to those temps once on accident -- it was pretty dry and crumbly. I usually cook to high 190s on the flat, wrap for a few hours, slice and eat.

I've cooked a few. Probably in the neighborhood of 250 the last 3 years.
jess
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23 14 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: 212 degree brisket? Reply with quote

ShortBusBBQ wrote:
thsmoker wrote:
ShortBusBBQ wrote:

So you have cooked an avg. of almost two a wk. for three yrs. & can not figure out your problem, ( cooked to 212) Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23 14 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: 212 degree brisket? Reply with quote

jess wrote:
ShortBusBBQ wrote:
thsmoker wrote:
ShortBusBBQ wrote:

So you have cooked an avg. of almost two a wk. for three yrs. & can not figure out your problem, ( cooked to 212) Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

jess, I can promise you Rob is no stranger to briskets and holds his own at comps. He does average about one a week more if you take into account for several at one time for friends or customers so I am sure the weeks that he isn't cooking one the masses make up for that.
I don't believe he was saying it was a problem as he stated it has happened before. He was merely posting that it still freaks him out when it does happen.

Hybrid Cooker
thsmoker
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23 14 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: 212 degree brisket? Reply with quote

k.a.m. wrote:
jess wrote:
ShortBusBBQ wrote:
thsmoker wrote:
ShortBusBBQ wrote:

jess, I can promise you Rob is no stranger to briskets and holds his own at comps. He does average about one a week more if you take into account for several at one time for friends or customers so I am sure the weeks that he isn't cooking one the masses make up for that.
I don't believe he was saying it was a problem as he stated it has happened before. He was merely posting that it still freaks him out when it does happen.

Ah, now I understand the context of the question better. I only do a half dozen a year and haven't seen the problem. Did putting it in the oven at 190 for a while fix it up?
ShortBusBBQ

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23 14 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really. I raised it up to 360 for about 20 minutes and that didn't help. I think it was just the brisket. It was plenty moist just not as tender as it should have been.
CrazyChef
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23 14 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, that's tough, ShortBus

Da Dum Dum Embarassed Razz Very Happy
AndrewT

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24 14 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tough break! You do all you can, cooking the best meat you can get with the best seasoning, the best smoke, and the best technique, but once in a while ya get one that has no "quit" in it. Look out chopped beef!
qfanatic01
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24 14 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cook 5 to 10 IBP briskets every day and decided to do a SRF brisket for one of the few comps I can make time for. I had the same problem with a 150 dollar brisket. I cooked it to temp and it seized up. Just took another class just to see if I did something wrong? Seems to be a total fluke.
ShortBusBBQ

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24 14 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndrewT wrote:
Tough break! You do all you can, cooking the best meat you can get with the best seasoning, the best smoke, and the best technique, but once in a while ya get one that has no "quit" in it. Look out chopped beef!

Yep. The point was chopped because it literally shredded just by staring at it. Lol. The flat was good enough for father in law but not for me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Competition BBQ All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: