FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Atomic Buffalo Turds:
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11 05 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim:

I dont know, some thing you just got to learn the hard way.

I remember years ago I was visiting a friend of mine who was making some pickled yellow and red banana peppers. He had spent the afternoon working on them, with out gloves. We had a couple of beers after I arrived and the enevitable trip to the bathroom happened... It was so funny to hear him, a little at first, then a little louder, then some cussin tossed in and some dancing around... I almost pissed my pants laughin, he didnt think it was so funny and got rather upset with me.

Like I said, some things just have to be experienced.
LIAR #100
PDXsmoker
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12 05 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HAHAHAHA Oh my that is too funny!
MaineMapleDave
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12 05 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

roxy wrote:
just be sure not to rub your eyes or go for a pee before you wash up. Shocked Shocked Shocked .

True. I was once STUPID enough to scratch a deep itch in my nose just after cutting up a bunch of hot peppers to pickle.

Man, did that burn, and I swear I think I sneezed for 45 minutes straight.
Steve-O
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12 05 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

roxy wrote:
...the enevitable trip to the bathroom happened...

Same thing happened to me at the lake a couple of weeks ago. After preparing the ABTs and a couple of beers, well... Shocked Fortunately I had my swim suit on and took a little dip in the water. That cooled things down a bit. Mr. Green

Latex gloves will be mandetory on my next batch. Wink
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12 05 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think every one should have their own pepper story, its the best way to learn... Laughing Laughing Wink

Just remember to wash up before getting friendly with the wife, not the right way to heat things up in the bed room if ya know what I mean.. Shocked
LIAR #100
PDXsmoker
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13 05 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll see if I can come up with one when I cook them this weekend...lol, my wife is having a "passion party" at the house while I will be cooking.....This in itself could be an interesting story! lol
PDXsmoker
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16 05 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW! I got some maple bacon from costco and used that, it was a hit! Thanks guys for the tip! Funny thing too, when I was cutting the jalepeno's my wife's eyes started watering and she was coughing......I cleared out the kitchen with those things! Woohoo! I have to remember that! Laughing
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16 05 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I did up 36 ABT's this weekend with out a hitch. Every one loved them including a few poeple who said they did not like Jalapenos.
LIAR #100
PDXsmoker
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16 05 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah I think I did 70ish Talk about time consuming!! They were being eaten as soon as they hit the platter. I was cooking a number of things so I did them in waves of 20 or so. We ran outta bacon so my brother and I started eating the uncooked ones, wich were pretty tasty as well!
Ozman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16 05 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These were absolutely brilliant Jeff.

I made up a dozen to try them out. Unfortunately couldn't source any Jalapenos so had to settle for ball chillis.

I thought I'd have them all to myself, but the "Trouble & Strife" arrived home just as I was getting the ABTs out of the oven. Eldest son was also in tow as well.

I expected the T&S to politely decline, but when she saw them, couldn't resist.

Between her & eldest son, I got to taste one, the rest disappeared in a flurry of arms, legs, fists, knives etc. Not a pretty sight I can assure you. Laughing

Anyway, it shouldn't be too long before Jalaps will be available here, so I'll make some more with true ingredients.

Thanks again. Smile

BTW. I sprinkled them with smoked paprika & cooked 'em in a normal oven

Life's too short not to fly.
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16 05 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ozman:

They are so much better smoked. I have made them in the oven as well when I cant use the smoker.
LIAR #100
Ozman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16 05 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

roxy wrote:
Ozman:

They are so much better smoked. I have made them in the oven as well when I cant use the smoker.

Thanks Roxy. - Everything's better smoked.

When I made 'em, it was p*ss pourin' rain outside so I decided to give 'em a go in the standard. First decent rain we've had in years & all we got was about an inch. We're still drought declared in our area.

I've run out of pecan wood at present & not too sure whether ironbark or box (firewood) would do the job. Unfortunately I have to wait another week before I can access the pecan farm due to boggy conditions.

Life's too short not to fly.
Jeff T
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19 05 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ozman
yeah they are great huh. Not my invention though stumbled up on the recipe/idea and gave them a try and just had to share this one. I would think most any small pepper would work if you can stand the heat that is present. Instead of pork or beef try stuffing with shrimp or fish its great also.
PDXsmoker
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20 05 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again for sharing that recipe! I am going to do them for my employees next week, along with some ribs!
Jeff T
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21 05 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did a dozen or so ABT`s today i used colby jack cheese instead of cream cheese and let my fire get to hot. Shocked That was a cheese sticky mess ran out of the peppers and pooped all over the place. I guess thats why the recipe call`s for cream cheese, doesn`t seem to melt like other cheeses. I`ve done abt`s at higher temps before with no problem but this time it was a little bit messy. Embarassed When i was cleaning the seeds and membrane out i got squirted in the forhead with juice and wipped it off with the back off my hand thinking that was close, went out side to check the fire and goof off, was a little hot today i started to sweet a little and damb if my forhead and my face was getting a little to hot then i remembered the pepper juice. Shocked Didnt help much to wash my face but i tried any way ended up washing my face with a little lemon juice, that worked. Very Happy Live an learn........
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21 05 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeffy:

Last weekend I made a triple batch and I used half cream cheese half extra old chedar. The mixture stayed put a lot better than with no cream cheese. I think I prefer them with a mixture that just straight cheddar. I added a ton of green onions, rub and some BBQ sauce as well so the filling tasted good on a cracker, man it was tasty just like that. Maybe some bacon and I got a new chip dip. Idea Idea Idea
LIAR #100
PDXsmoker
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23 05 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol Jeff, I agree lemon juice worked pretty well for me too.
RKB
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24 05 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just made my first batch of ABT's. I added some diced green onion and garlic to the cream cheese, and used cheese Lil Smokies - man, I'm hooked. I see a lot of possibilities for variation here, like pepperoni and Italian sausage, call them Pizza Turds.
Even the wife ate some, since the heat cooks out of the pepper - she likes 'em too, dammit. Now I gotta make twice as many.....
Bill
PDXsmoker
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26 05 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WoW They were a hit at work! I smoked em for a couple hours last night and then re-heat em in *cough* microwave at work lol Everyone still loved them! Going to do more tonight! Cool
Jeff T
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26 05 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PDX
Glad everyone liked them, arn`t these little buggers "good" and so versatile also.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Other recipes All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 2 of 11

Jump to: