FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

temperature gauges

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zmokin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16 14 5:51 am    Post subject: temperature gauges Reply with quote

What do you guys recommend? I've had two Redi-Checks die on me that I bought from Amazon, both times it was the wireless receiver in the house that has not worked. The sending units and thermocouples still work fine, but I like the wireless feature so I can see what my cooker and meat temps are without having to go outside. Plus the nice alarm feature to let me know when the meat is up to temp as well as alarms for the smoker getting too hot or too cold. So I'm hoping someone has recommendations for a good reliable wireless system. The first time my redi-check died was early on and they gracefully replaced my receiver unit for free. Now it's older and no longer under warranty and I'm interested in buying something better.
14" Cast Iron Dutch Oven
Large Big Green Egg w/Sole' Gourmet Table
SigSauerNY
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16 14 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you looking for a in place (fixed) therm or something handheld or wireless?

I like tel tru therms for the doors.

I like thermoworks for the instant handheld.

I just got a maverick dual probe unit to replace my old maverick single probe unit and im happy with their products, there is also a thermoworks wifi product which has mixed to good reviews.

However over time I have been not using thermometers for doneness. I have been cooking to a time and then checking temps and for readiness when the probe slides in and out like butter and have improved my cooks and products by not therm watching.
phil c
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16 14 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I knew the brand of the one that the wife gave me a couple years ago. Dang thing got beat up in all sorts of ways and just kept workin, till I ran it over.

I'll keep scouring the wallys and dollars till I find another.

Yes I know this was unhelpful to this thread but I could use some good brand suggestions as well.
Tony
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16 14 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SigSauerNY wrote:

I just got a maverick dual probe unit to replace my old maverick single probe unit and im happy with their products, there is also a thermoworks wifi product which has mixed to good reviews.

However over time I have been not using thermometers for doneness. I have been cooking to a time and then checking temps and for readiness when the probe slides in and out like butter and have improved my cooks and products by not therm watching.

" So I'm hoping someone has recommendations for a good reliable wireless system."

This is what Zmokin is lookin' for...So am I!

Best Regards,

Tony Very Happy
Tony
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16 14 11:00 pm    Post subject: Re: temperature gauges Reply with quote

Zmokin wrote:
What do you guys recommend? I've had two Redi-Checks die on me that I bought from Amazon, both times it was the wireless receiver in the house that has not worked. The sending units and thermocouples still work fine, but I like the wireless feature so I can see what my cooker and meat temps are without having to go outside. Plus the nice alarm feature to let me know when the meat is up to temp as well as alarms for the smoker getting too hot or too cold. So I'm hoping someone has recommendations for a good reliable wireless system. The first time my redi-check died was early on and they gracefully replaced my receiver unit for free. Now it's older and no longer under warranty and I'm interested in buying something better.

Zmokin...Just came across this on Amazon Prime...

$29.95 w/free shipping...Favorable reviews.

Not their top of the line but for a wireless device (And some TLC while in use Wink ) I think it's worth the price. Might be Your candidate for a "Workable-Wireless Thermo".

Just ordered one for my "Thermo-Box Stash." Cool

Good Luck and Best Regards,

Tony Very Happy
SigSauerNY
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17 14 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony wrote:
SigSauerNY wrote:

" So I'm hoping someone has recommendations for a good reliable wireless system."

This is what Zmokin is lookin' for...So am I!

Best Regards,

Tony Very Happy

Wifi or wireless

Wifi
igrill - both ios and android compatible
Thermoworks - bluetherm duos
digiq

Wireless
maverick makes some good units
Reid check does as well.

I have both actually and they both do a great job

Be careful with wires on probes. Dont tangle em or get em caught in doors. I keep my units in zip lock bags when cooking should it happen to rain or whatever may spill on em. Wipe probes off dont wash em.

Wifi - $60-350
Wireless - $30-100

Enjoy.
BUGSnBBQ
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17 14 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That seems odd to have two receivers go bad. I've had an ET-732 for 3 years. I use it a LOT and the only problem I've had was a probe going bad. But that was probably due to me not being careful with it.

Sig - Maverick and Redi-Chek are the same thing.

Tony - Is that the 733? $30 looks to be a good price.
The Matt Ryan of LIARS! (#2)

I had the RIGHT to remain silent, I just didn't have the ABILITY.

Support your 2nd Amendment RIGHT. Criminals prefer unarmed victims.
SigSauerNY
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17 14 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BUGSnBBQ wrote:
That seems odd to have two receivers go bad. I've had an ET-732 for 3 years. I use it a LOT and the only problem I've had was a probe going bad. But that was probably due to me not being careful with it.

Maybe im confusing redi check with another company. Whenever im at Marshals they always have a wireless therm for cheap and I figured why not add another

I havent had receivers go back only probes. Like I said a little zip lock bag goes a long way.
Tony
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17 14 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BUGSnBBQ wrote:

X-2 Good Call,Bugs Wink

Tony - Is that the 733? $30 looks to be a good price.[/quote]

No-it's the Base "ET-73" -Still,a good price for a dual probe
wireless, IMHO. Wink

Best Regards,

Tony Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: