FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Meat for Competition

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Competition BBQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Meatsmoker

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25 14 8:16 am    Post subject: Meat for Competition Reply with quote

Ok folks going to be doing a couple of contest on the MBN side this year. The latest fad for the pork and ribs is Duroc pork. Anyone used it and is it worth the money? Go.
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25 14 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Used them, like them, have to order them in round here though.

The bones are mostly straighter on them IMO, than some of the general stuff available, but buying better quality meat will always give you a better chance of a walk than a call, all other things being equal! Wink

I still work here!
Meatsmoker

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25 14 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will agree starting with a quality product, but is it really that much of a better product? It is still a confined raised pig, just like Smithfield, IBP, Tyson and so on. I have cooked some before but just didn't get the warm fuzzy feeling that I thought I would.
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25 14 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ones I order are from a free range natural grow farm, they are not quite twice the price of IBP etc, but the straighter bones that come from non confinement adds to the appearance scores.

The IBP that we were getting from Sam's Club, you were lucky to get 1 in 3 racks with straight(ish) bones! Sometimes the best looking rack in the cryo, had slices on the underside or ever shiners on the back.

A case of the Duroc, comes 4 or 5 doubles, instead of 3 triples, and you see a lot more of the meat, I also think the packers actually care more about the meat, than the other packers do!

See disclaimer below!

I still work here!
Meatsmoker

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25 14 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would you care to share where you are buying those free range products at?
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25 14 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get them through another local BBQ'er.

I know he's working early turns this week, (so I won't call him tonight), I'll contact him tomorrow and try and get you ordering information.

I still work here!
Old Dave
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25 14 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Compart is setup for the competition cooks and has packages of their products. Is it better or worth it..hard to say but many teams are using it. I like it.

http://www.compartdurocpork.com/category_s/64.htm

Dave
Meatsmoker

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26 14 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Compart was what I used when I cooked them. But when we cook a MBN contest we usually cook 20 racks, now at 189.00 per 8 racks (plus shipping) that is hard to even break even if you win the rib division at a contest. I don't mind paying for a quality meat as the team I am on has bought from SRF for many years for brisket. I can truly see and taste the difference in those products. But with ribs and the amount or lack there of meat on the product I am just not sold for the price.
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27 14 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Comport is where his butcher is getting them from!

I still work here!
Pkerchef
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10 14 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just ordered a couple of briskets from snake river and a competition pack containing 4 slabs of comp St. Louis ribs and a couple of pork butts from Compart. We will see how it goes next weekend. Pkerchef
8.5 x 18 Haulmark concession/ competition trailer
CraigE
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat May 03 14 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you get good enough meat from your local grocery store to have a chance at competitions, or do you have to buy from a butcher or order from speciality suppliers? I've cooked (per family/friends/coworkers) awesome meats from the store but never in competition.

Reborn Oyler 700
Meadowcreek TS250 w/Insulated firebox
Modified OK Joe's Highland Smoker
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 03 14 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That depends on the local store, good stores with good meat, no problem, bad store with bad meat... big problems.

I still work here!
qfanatic01
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Mon May 26 14 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pkerchef wrote:
I just ordered a couple of briskets from snake river and a competition pack containing 4 slabs of comp St. Louis ribs and a couple of pork butts from Compart. We will see how it goes next weekend. Pkerchef

So how did that go?

I spent the money for a good set up and quality meats, in the last year I have taken three classes and after the results of the last comp I'm gonna judge for a bit and try to see what I'm missing here. The same teams are generally on top around here. For what I'm spending to play I want to feel like I have a chance to be in the hunt. My turn ins were as good as any of the classes. I'm missing something?
awgraham

PostPosted: Mon May 26 14 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did an MBN Challenger contest back at the first of the month, and I used IBP pork for my pulled pork and ribs. The guys beside me were using Compart Duroc. They made finals in ribs and I didnt. I thought my turn ins were excellent, I turned in exactly what I wanted to turn in, but those boys with their Compart smoked me. I finished 9th out of 11 in ribs, and they were second.

I like to think thats what the difference was, in fact the KCBS contest Im doing next month I will be ordering the Compart butt/St Louis Spare competition pack. The only downside to that is they ship everything to you frozen, but it doesn't really seems like it makes that much of a difference.
Meatsmoker

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02 14 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok here is a update.

I cooked Memphis In May using Duroc pork ribs and had good luck and finished 3rd in ribs. But on the flip side I also cooked MIM in 2011 (3rd also) and 2012 (13th) with IBP's from Sams. I really didn't see or taste the difference.
jacobs901

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27 15 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

General question, when you get ribs from Sam's or Restaurant Depot, do you have them squared off or evened up before cooking? The one's I get are more trapezoid shaped than anything. Anybody use a bandsaw to do this?
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27 15 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just use a sharp knife or a cleaver, look at roxy's rib trimming post http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10646

I still work here!
jacobs901

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27 15 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoEzzy wrote:
Just use a sharp knife or a cleaver, look at roxy's rib trimming post http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10646

Thanks. I was talking more about loin ribs and making them symmetrical for judging in, say, an MBN comp. Less about trimming the fat and ends.
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27 15 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK well then, if it's baby backs, (loin backs), get your butcher to trim them the way you like, or trim them yourself if you have a meat saw.

Be careful if you cut them yourself, a few times I've had trimmed baby backs at the judges table, a couple of the times they have had bone shards from the saw still on them.

Have them trimmed, then give the cut sides a good scrape with the back of a knife blade until you have them well cleaned.

I still work here!
jacobs901

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27 15 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoEzzy wrote:
OK well then, if it's baby backs, (loin backs), get your butcher to trim them the way you like, or trim them yourself if you have a meat saw.

Be careful if you cut them yourself, a few times I've had trimmed baby backs at the judges table, a couple of the times they have had bone shards from the saw still on them.

Have them trimmed, then give the cut sides a good scrape with the back of a knife blade until you have them well cleaned.

Great, thanks for the help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Competition BBQ All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: