FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Restaurant managers

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Back To The Q-ture

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20 14 5:09 am    Post subject: Restaurant managers Reply with quote

As some of you may know, I am opening a BBQ restaurant in Illinois. It will have 80-90 traditional sit-down seats and a take-out/to-go counter. Open for lunch/dinner 6 days per week. I am finalizing my projections and want to get an opinion on the benefits of hiring a manager.

I will be at the restaurant essentially whenever we are open (and many hours when we are not). During hours, I will primarily be running the pit (I have a head cook to lead the line during service) and then working front of the house whenever possible.

What are your thoughts on having a manager to supplement my presence? Is your manager an integral part of your ops to ensure everything runs smoothly? Do you have a full or part time manager?

Thanks
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21 14 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can get one who you can trust, I say go for it.

Because there is no way you're going to be able to handle both the kitchen and FOH at the same time.

I made a decision to not have servers anymore because of all the stress that they have created for me, and it lowers my labor cost considerably too.
qfanatic01
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21 14 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No servers also eliminates the age old resentment of the over paid front of the house from the under paid back of the house. Although the tips are much less with counter service we share with entire staff based on hours worked that week. Pay scale is also the same throughout the staff.

My family works with me so currently we don't need a manager, but if they weren't here I would at least have a lead cashier. It's hard to find key people for sure.
RodinBangkok
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21 14 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Management may be hard to find, but its pretty much a self fulfilling prophecy when people say that or there are no good people out there that can handle the job. If you want to grow your business beyond the hands on approach you need to take that first leap into delegation and get out from under the day to day drudgery of doing what someone else can do, perhaps even better than what your doing.
Its not easy to do, and I'll admit all my training in management came from a large corporation that not only sent me to a lot of training classes, but gave me the hands on experience at their expense.

If you start by delegating and setting up the proper training for your staff and management, and also very importantly the checks and balances that come with a good financial tracking system, then it slowly becomes easier.

I'm reminded of a book that brought home to me the fact that I would never get away from change and had to learn to deal with it. The book was Tom Peters Thriving on Chaos. And its so true even more today. Changing tastes in food, food costs that keep rising and so many other factors make you realize there will never be an end to the change you will encounter, so you better develop a style that deals with change.

Bottom line from my POV if you going to grow your business beyond what you do hands on every day you need to learn to delegate and manage rather than just do it yourself. Without that there is no easy way to get beyond your day to day drudgery and your stuck.
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21 14 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

qfanatic01 wrote:
No servers also eliminates the age old resentment of the over paid front of the house from the under paid back of the house. Although the tips are much less with counter service we share with entire staff based on hours worked that week. Pay scale is also the same throughout the staff.

at least have a lead cashier. It's hard to find key people for sure.

EXACTLY!!
Poppa's PTL Club
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26 14 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RodinBangkok wrote:
if you going to grow your business beyond what you do hands on every day you need to learn to delegate and manage rather than just do it yourself. Without that there is no easy way to get beyond your day to day drudgery and your stuck.

The main thing you have to ask yourself is whether you want to build a business or just create a job for yourself. The dream ought to be to create a business that can survive in your absence
qfanatic01
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27 14 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poppa's PTL Club wrote:
RodinBangkok wrote:
if you going to grow your business beyond what you do hands on every day you need to learn to delegate and manage rather than just do it yourself. Without that there is no easy way to get beyond your day to day drudgery and your stuck.

The main thing you have to ask yourself is whether you want to build a business or just create a job for yourself. The dream ought to be to create a business that can survive in your absence

The dream is to create something that is truly a part of you. Something that is your signature. There is nothing more rewarding than creating something that is successful.

Unless you have run the same set up before there will be a learning curve to how best to manage the place. It is in your best interest to figure that out first yourself and then start delegating or put together a job description for your successor. NO BODY and I mean no body will care as much about the details as much as you. If you don't, your screwed!!! A good manager does the best job at every position, leads by example and manages by demanding compliance and consistency. The best manager is willing and able to step in and help anybody on the staff at any time. They need to see and fix a problem before it's a problem. Put out a fire when they only see smoke.

Next is weather your business can support the salary of the two people you will need to do the job you do every week. I would have to pay two people probably 40k a year each to do my job. Will my place be profitable then and will the standards continue to go up or at least be maintained? Most small businesses are successful because of the entrepreneur behind it. Once that person steps down many fail. This isn't a hobby, it's your whole life.
nskitts

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23 14 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a couple that were good, but as time went on the small cracks of shortcomings widened into canyons and we parted ways.

I have stopped searching for a manager and I am waiting for a manager to find me.

In the meantime, I am pounding home consistency and processes. The creator of Texas Roadhouse (and other restaurants) are not stuck in the restaurant slugging away so there is a solution, and that solution is strong management with accountability measures in place to ensure strong management.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Commercial BBQ All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: