FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HEALTH

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeff
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18 14 1:57 pm    Post subject: HEALTH Reply with quote

Good Morning !
I just wanted to share something with everyone.
Watch your blood pressure and take care of yourselves !
I haven't posted much in the last year, mainly due to a health issue.
I'm only 47 years old, and have always been fairly healthy and active, but about a year and a half ago I suffered a series of 3 strokes. I was hard headed and played it off as part of migraines that I've suffered with for 20+ years. During a bad migraine I would lose part of my vision, so I thought I was Superman and I didn't go to the Dr. After a week of my vision still being abnormal, my wife made me go to the Dr. I was immediately sent for an MRI, which revealed 3 significant strokes and countless TIA's.
Although I was in "good" shape and thought I was Superman, I found out different !
The years of smoking and drinking, plus the stress of a career in Law Enforcement caught up with me.
I am pretty much back to normal now, with the exception of I have no peripheral vision to the left and part of my vision downward is gone. Mentally, I'm about 85%-90% what I was pre-stroke. Sometimes it's hard to concentrate and get the thought pattern together, but I still function and I still work every day ! I don't need the Gub'ment taking care of me !
All of that has been an eye opener, I got into a gym and started working out and I'm stronger today than I've been in y entire life. Now if I could convince myself to do more cardio Laughing
Anyway.....TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF ! My BP was through the roof, but now with meds and proper diet my BP is a little below normal and my blood work results are perfect !

As we all like to cook and eat, it can be detrimental to the body if we're not careful !Please go to the Dr regularly and take care of yourselves !

Thank you Jesus, and everyone have a Happy Easter !
Canadian Bacon
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18 14 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great advice Jeff.....take care of yourself...and Happy Easter.
Napoleon Legend Gasser
20"& 26" Discada
Two of the fastest Thermapens ever made ... Black& Blue
LIAR #25
Maniac
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18 14 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad your ok Exclamation
Happy Easter
jess
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18 14 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a guy that just past one of those "zero" years I can totally relate to your situation. Eventually we all learn that the bulletproof days do not last forever. Really glad you have your situation under control and thanks for your time in serve & protect. Happy holidays...
BUGSnBBQ
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18 14 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah it sucks getting 'old'. I'm 48 and still feel like a kid, mentally. Physically, I'm starting to feel it Twisted Evil . I had a heart attack 3 years ago and it really stunned me. I'm relatively healthy, active, and not overweight, so I was like WTF?? I had an artery blocked 90% and high BP. I've always tried to eat 'healthy' - Limit 'fast food' (McD's, BK, etc), fried stuff (HARD being in the South Laughing ), and eating fresh veggies/salads with my proteins. My blood work had always come out fine (cholesterol, etc) over the years, but I still had a heart attack. Oh well, just comes with age I guess Evil or Very Mad
The Matt Ryan of LIARS! (#2)

I had the RIGHT to remain silent, I just didn't have the ABILITY.

Support your 2nd Amendment RIGHT. Criminals prefer unarmed victims.
patruns
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19 14 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you got it together and great advice Jeff! I've been trying to be more active. Got a Fitbit for myself and the wife and we kinda push each other to take more steps. Also dragged the bicycle out of the garage and dropped it off for a tune-up and new tubes. Going to try and get back to making fitness a bigger part of my life again.

Char-Griller Outlaw with SFB
Weber Smokey Joe
Weber Q 220
LIAR#49
PaulOinMA
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20 14 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you're doing better.

A colleague that experienced severe migraines had a couple of strokes in her early 40s.

Sweet person. Married with two young children.

She called us after a while into her rehabilitation to chat. My wife hung up on her, thinking it was a crank call.

There was a hard-to-understand message left on our answering machine the next day. I listened to it a couple of times since I thought I heard the person mention our name. I finally realized who it was and felt horrible.

I e-mailed my wife that we hung up on Ruthann the night before. Sad

My wife called her that night, and Ruthann sadly said, " I guess my speech therapy isn't going as well as I thought." We felt horrible. Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: