FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Grill for camping?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pyper
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30 14 1:28 am    Post subject: Grill for camping? Reply with quote

I'm trying to settle on a grill for camping. I'm not sure what direction I want to go in.

I have one of those very small Webber grills. I find it impossible to manage the heat. The area for the coals is so small that if the heat is too hot there's no way to adjust it. It's also kind of messy for the trip home.

I also have a grill that's made from stainless. It looks kind of like a barrel, cut in half, but it's only about a foot across and 18 inches long. I found it camping (someone tossed it) but it needs a grate and I'm not sure how to find one. It would probably work well, because the bottom is big enough to have both a hot side and a cool side.

My gas grill at home has a searing burner that I really love. The temperature response is instant, and it gets really hot. It's great for steaks. I get home and my wife say's "cook these" and we are eating in 15 minutes. It seems like there are few portable grills with infrared burners and they are all costly.

I'm not interested in makeshift, forced air, or other stuff like that. My truck is usually pretty full. I'd love to get a full size webber for camping, but it would take up too much room. Any other thoughts for good grills for camping that don't take too much room and don't make a mess coming home? It needs to cook a wide range of foods and food quality is of high importance. I'm leaning towards charcoal, but I could go for a good portable gas grill.
Smokin Mike
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30 14 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pyper, I made an "over the fire" 18" x 36" cooking grate that works wonderful for camping. You can throw some briquettes in the fire ring, or just use the coals from the wood fire, and set the grate over top to cook about anything you want. I have a griddle that I will set on top of the grate to cook bacon, sausage, and pancakes. Flip this bad boy over to sit in the bed of the truck and you can stack stuff on top of it. Hardly takes up any room.

Here's the Camp Chef version which could be purchased at Cabela's and elsewhere I believe it has foldable legs.

Smokin Mike
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30 14 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pyper, I just remembered another grill that I use to lug around on camping and tailgating trips and it is a portable propane grill.

http://www.weber.com/grills/series/weber-q-series

Check out the 1000 & 2000 series. I actually have two Que's but back then they were called the baby que and the mama que. Both worked pretty good and left great sear marks on burgers and steaks with the cast iron grate.
patruns
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30 14 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I picked up the discontinued Weber Q 220 in January for a song. It is a great grill and would be perfect for camping. The replacement is the Q 2200. Uses those 1 pound propane bottles which you can find anywhere.

Char-Griller Outlaw with SFB
Weber Smokey Joe
Weber Q 220
LIAR#49
Jeremiah

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30 14 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Q120 here. Love it. Drilled out the gas orifices 1/16. Perfect for tailgating.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Grilling All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: