FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Other restaurants trying to poach employees?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07 14 11:00 pm    Post subject: Other restaurants trying to poach employees? Reply with quote

If so, how did you handle it?

I've got a guy trying to snag my top performer, and I am not coming up with many non-violent solutions to this issue.
Bbq Bubba
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08 14 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If somebody wants him, he must be valuable.

Give him a raise.
Northern midwest director for Operation BBQ Relief
RodinBangkok
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08 14 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well keeping good employees is always going to be a problem if you provide them with the training and encouragement to want to do better. I've run into this in every business I've run over many years. You keep good employees by insuring they want to stay with you because of your ability to lead the market with regards to benefits, if you lag the market then your turnover will be higher. Its a double edged sword. You want to hire good people, and train them but after they gain experience they want to grow also, so you either provide growth opportunities for them internally, or you let them go. Its like everything else in business, employees have a marketable skill they will try and use to better themselves, so you either provide them the ability to do that or you let them go.

We provide not only job related skill training, but also encourage english language skills, which is a big draw for others to hire away from us, as the market is always looking for skilled bi lingual employees here. That's a down side, but the up side is we pretty much always have a waiting list of people looking for a job, just thru word of mouth, as we always try and promote from within before we hire outside by job posting all positions and interview internally before we look outside. This sends new starts the message that there is always growth potential internally and helps them from just changing jobs on a whim.

I don't take it personally, its just competition, if you want to compete, then make sure he's happy at his current position, if you don't think he's worth it then let him go.
BUGSnBBQ
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08 14 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RodinBangkok wrote:
I don't take it personally, its just competition, if you want to compete, then make sure he's happy at his current position, if you don't think he's worth it then let him go.

Yep, same in my biz (construction). A competitor (or even another trade) see's a guy busting his azz and thinks "He would be a great fit for me. Now I can get rid of so-and-so". I let a guy go 3 years ago, who had been with me for 5 years, when he came to me and said he had another job offer. He told me what the pay and benefits were and I couldn't compete with it. Was too bad, as it took 1 1/2 guys to replace him. In hindsight, I should have kept him, but turnover is just part of it.
The Matt Ryan of LIARS! (#2)

I had the RIGHT to remain silent, I just didn't have the ABILITY.

Support your 2nd Amendment RIGHT. Criminals prefer unarmed victims.
qfanatic01
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08 14 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the seasonal market, year round job security is a big thing too. You have to invest in key people year round. I am sure it sux trying to fill your positions with capable staff every summer. We are a bit more of a year round market here. Most markets have their cycles. It gets slower in the winter here too, but we use some of the extra cash flow from the summer catering to help support labor costs during the slower times and give our key staff year round stability. We too have to hire a bunch of kids every May to cover the busier summer months, but fortunately there are plenty of them looking for work then. Good help isn't cheap!! My highest paid staff are my kids and they don't always give me the best return on investment you could say. I would love it if someone would recruit them for a while!

We also just had the first of several minimum wage increases, which is a big deal in the minimum wage based service industry. At least we don't have waitstaff and have to give the highest paid people a raise. The rift is big enough in those places with waitstaff already and then the state raises minimum wage without a tip credit. Our prices will be going up to cover the increase. I feel sorry for the folks that aren't at the bottom who aren't going to get a raise immediately but will start to pay the price increases. The middle class will pay the price for this initially. Our economy will pay in the end. It's all incremental and the working poor will still be the working poor. What a bunch of smoke and mirrors.
Lone Star BBQ & Grill

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08 14 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent post Charlie.
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09 14 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guy brought this situation to my attention immediately,

He is very well compensated, and he knows it.
He is very happy here, we work very well together, and he knows he is not just a number. and that is why he brought this to my attention right away because he even saw it is a scumball tactic.

So, I had a talk with the owner of the place before I confront his chef (I use the term "chef" very lightly with this individual) and he agrees that is was an intolerable BS stunt on his part and he will be "Spoken to" (the owner in question and I are friends, very close friends.)
He has informed me that this was the final straw, because his performance has not been up to par, and he is unable to meet the quality levels he was supposed reach. And he also has a hard time keeping staff. (gee, I wonder why)

As soon as I get done here for the night, I am going to pay this wannabe poacher a little visit. And if he can come up with a valid reason why he should not get a black-eye, broken jaw, and fractured tibias, he may just get a one time pass.

There are things that one just does not do, and going behind someones back to try and poach an employee is one of them.
This may be a totally different story if he would have came in to ask me if I had anyone I could spare, or if I could toss a few bones his direction.
But for him to go behind my back and pull this stunt, it is inexcusable!!
We are a small tourist based community that is very short on qualified labor, everyone knows everybody's business here.
We all try to help each other out if one of us gets in a bind. Then you got a jagoff pulling this garbage.
When news gets out on his actions, it will not be a glorious chapter in his life here.

When I have an applicant, And they are employed somewhere else, I ask if they can do without, if they say no, they don't get hired here, and every other place abides by the same rules.
Poppa's PTL Club
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13 14 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry Nutczak wrote:
As soon as I get done here for the night, I am going to pay this wannabe poacher a little visit. And if he can come up with a valid reason why he should not get a black-eye, broken jaw, and fractured tibias, he may just get a one time pass.

There are things that one just does not do, and going behind someones back to try and poach an employee is one of them.
This may be a totally different story if he would have came in to ask me if I had anyone I could spare, or if I could toss a few bones his direction.
We are a small tourist based community that is very short on qualified labor, everyone knows everybody's business here.
We all try to help each other out if one of us gets in a bind. Then you got a jagoff pulling this garbage.
When news gets out on his actions, it will not be a glorious chapter in his life here.

When I have an applicant, And they are employed somewhere else, I ask if they can do without, if they say no, they don't get hired here, and every other place abides by the same rules.

It sounds to me like you are running a cartel or a mafia organization, not a business.

Way, WAY out of line to talk about it like you do. These employees are not your property, but you are treating them that way. Let's assume the guy is happy, but for some reason, the job would have appealed to him (closer to his house, whatever). Do you think it would be right if you and the other owner fixed the market so that the job is not available to him?

The threats of violence if someone has the nerve to offer your employee a job are a nice touch
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13 14 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poppa's PTL Club wrote:
Harry Nutczak wrote:

It sounds to me like you are running a cartel or a mafia organization, not a business.

Way, WAY out of line to talk about it like you do. These employees are not your property, but you are treating them that way. Let's assume the guy is happy, but for some reason, the job would have appealed to him (closer to his house, whatever). Do you think it would be right if you and the other owner fixed the market so that the job is not available to him?

The threats of violence if someone has the nerve to offer your employee a job are a nice touch

You are the one not understanding exactly what happened, or the reason why it was done.

This was nothing but a blatant, malicious act. And that is why I reacted the way I did. Maybe you failed to read the part where my guy was pissed off at this too, and why he brought this to my attention.
Poppa's PTL Club
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14 14 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry Nutczak wrote:

You are the one not understanding exactly what happened, or the reason why it was done.

This was nothing but a blatant, malicious act. And that is why I reacted the way I did. Maybe you failed to read the part where my guy was pissed off at this too, and why he brought this to my attention.

Tony Soprano went to Johnny Sacrimoni and told him one of his soldiers was violating their agreement to carve up the garbage routes and Johnny was outraged

Tell me again how I don't understand it
animal
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14 14 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple years ago he could have gone to Mamas supper club and talked to Tommy C. , or my cousin Ted. Funny reference.
Smoke Hollow #5
Lang 48 D
Acorn Komado
And a couple of Weber kettles
pafisher
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14 14 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree ,, a black eye and a few lumps on his head is what the guy deserved ......
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Commercial BBQ All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: