FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Meat prices lead to menu price increase with good results!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shotgun Petes
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30 14 2:37 pm    Post subject: Meat prices lead to menu price increase with good results! Reply with quote

I finally gave in and made some major price increases on my menu last week.
all of my BBQ sammies were selling at $7 and I increased them to $8, across the board no matter what meat. All the same price and do not include sides. A 5 oz side is $2

A half pound of meat ( any smoked meat) was selling for $9 per 1/2 pound and $18 per pound. I changed that to $12 per 1/2 pound and $24 per pound. $6 per 1/4 pound also for less hungry folks.

I made some increases on some other speciallty items on the menu as well like my BBQ Nachos ... a regular was $9, now $12, a large was $19 and is now $24! and BBQ Burritos were $10 and now $12.
I increased my pitmaster sampler from $26 up to $30 ( it has four different 1/4 pound servings of meat and 3 sides, no buns.

I took a chance hoping people would not freak out and turn away. Let me tell you..the price changes has had NO negative response. People are still lining up and paying!
So for those of you who are having trouble with meat prices I say adjust your menu accordingly if you want to make any money. I think most people will get it and if they want good BBQ they will be at your counter buying it no matter what! Smile

Ps... the Restaurant across the street sells a Halibut sandwich for $14 that comes with sliced sauteed red potatoes so I figure $8 for a fresh pulled pork sandwich is reasonable

"If you can't BBQ with the Big Dogs, back away from the Pit!"

SHOTGUN PETE'S BBQ SHACK
28 N Ninth St
COLUMBIA, MO

(Downtown across from The Blue Note)
YardFullOfOak
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30 14 8:55 pm    Post subject: Price increase Reply with quote

You need more than 1 week to see the impact on customer count and average bill.

People may not turn around in the door because of the price increases, but it may take a little longer until they show up for their next visit.

And then, over time, they may adjust to the new price level and go back to their usual frequency.
Shotgun Petes
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18 14 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mid July and still going strong with the new prices! Very Happy

"If you can't BBQ with the Big Dogs, back away from the Pit!"

SHOTGUN PETE'S BBQ SHACK
28 N Ninth St
COLUMBIA, MO

(Downtown across from The Blue Note)
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18 14 11:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Price increase Reply with quote

YardFullOfOak wrote:
You need more than 1 week to see the impact on customer count and average bill.

People may not turn around in the door because of the price increases, but it may take a little longer until they show up for their next visit.

And then, over time, they may adjust to the new price level and go back to their usual frequency.

I increased my prices, and I also went to a full al'a cart menu, I had one person whine, but this particular person has been known as 'Whiny Bill" by the staff for the last 4 years. If he didn't whine about something, we'd think there is a problem.

So instead of dinners getting 2 sides included, those are now add-ons in 3 different sizes. and I have everything on the menu so it is basically one huge "build your own combo" deal.

If pork continues to climb, and if beef doesn't slide, prices will be raised again. I've got to make profit to stay in biz, so there is no other logical choice. I thought these price spikes were temporary, I was wrong. Pork pricing now is higher than this last spring.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Commercial BBQ All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: