FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hire the handicapped......................?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12 14 10:37 pm    Post subject: Hire the handicapped......................? Reply with quote

We have a few guys who are in a "Vocational Rehab" program run by the state.
One guy allegedly graduated high school, and according to his application he has earned a DIPMA from said high school.

His nickname is Armpit due to his less than stellar personal hygiene skills.

Then we have "Exxon", he earned that name after he spilled over 6 gallons of BBQ pit grease all over my sidewalk, then another 10-12 gallons of it on top of the grease dumpster, (not in it, On it) and if there is a container with any amount of liquid in it within 10 feet of him, it will be spilled by him.

I'll add to this later, I need to go get set up for the day.

Edited to add;
One of the servers last decided to task Armpit the dishwasher with filling sauce containers, I had a fit about it telling her that I do not trust him, and that is her job.
She got all defensive and said "I'm sure he can handle putting sauce into a squeeze bottle, give the guy some credit, it's not a difficult job!"

Well,, I got some old lady coughing and gagging during lunch today because some idiot filled all my sweet sauce containers with out XXX hot sauce.
So am I still supposed to give this guy credit?
There is a reason I only allow certain people to do jobs that only take one or two brain cells to accomplish.
I no longer operate a restaurant, it is like an asylum for the criminally insane.
brutus1964
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15 14 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been out of the restaurant business for over 10 years, but I can certainly relate to your post. I make it a point to support locally owned businesses anytime I can and I see the struggle daily for business owners trying to hire reliable help. I was at a local restaurant a few weeks back, and besides my family of 3 there were about 4 other tables with customers dining. As I looked around I noticed that each table was at a different stage of their meal. A couple had just received their entrees and were beginning to eat while another table had drinks and were on their salads. The server took our drink orders and was gone for about 10 minutes (there were a total of about 12 people in the whole restaurant). Just as we placed our drink order, a couple was leaving. The serve finally came back with our drinks and with a gasp said, "I apologize! We had a RUSH!" I cuffed my hands over my eyes as if I were looking across the horizon into the sun and peered through the restaurant and said, "REALLY?!, I don't see it!" I could tell from the expression on the kid's face that he was serious. He really thought he had a rush. I told him to just take his time. I backed off and told him he was doing a good job and to keep up the good work.

"If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you have always got"- Henry Ford
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15 14 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Brutus,

It sure is sad isn't.
I had an offer to purchase this last spring, we couldn't narrow the monetary spread for the real estate. He wanted to pay what I paid for it, which was a full $150K under fair market value and wasn't budging.
I was ready to take it and walk, but I figured I'd stick it out, no I think I made a mistake. But part of the deal was me staying on for 6 months, and available for training, consulting and menu development for the next 18, so I still would have been dealing with idiocy.

Many place here hire convicts on work release, but they all cook out of the back of a sysco truck with no skill needed. I need some talent and people who can plan ahead to pull off what we do.
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12 14 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made the decision to let "Exxon" go, I have had enough of his incompetence. 5 weeks, and he still is unable to tie a knot in a garbage bag so the bag does not fall in the can.
He cannot physically do it. I also noticed that his shoes do not have laces, they are velcro. I bet the guy cannot tie his shoes either.

The night I plan to let him finish his shift, and let him go, he tells me he took a job at the lumber mill as a boiler operator and this will be his last weekend. I wasn't forced to fire him and pay more in unemployment for 99 weeks.
I hope I am outside of the blast radius!

I bet he gets fired before his first lunch break, he is that incompetent.
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13 14 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry it must be good to smile and say, "well, thanks for hard work"! Knowing you wont have to deal with him again!

I still work here!
brutus1964
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13 14 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that reminds me of a funny story... I worked with a kid (28 yrs old) a few years back that was complaining about his shoes being too tight and hurting his feet. I told him they were lace up shoes and to just loosen them a bit. He didn't know how. He thought that once they were tied that was it. I showed him how to unlace them to make them fit loose or tight and you would have thought that he hit the lottery. He spent the rest of the day adjusting his shoes every hour or so.

dangdest thing I ever seen

"If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you have always got"- Henry Ford
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13 14 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brutus1964 wrote:
that reminds me of a funny story... I worked with a kid (28 yrs old) a few years back that was complaining about his shoes being too tight and hurting his feet. I told him they were lace up shoes and to just loosen them a bit. He didn't know how. He thought that once they were tied that was it. I showed him how to unlace them to make them fit loose or tight and you would have thought that he hit the lottery. He spent the rest of the day adjusting his shoes every hour or so.

dangdest thing I ever seen

OMFG!
Sadly, these same kids are getting diplomas (a Dipma, in one guys case) from their high school with this little amount of knowledge, and their inability to do simple, single digit, addition and subtraction.

The biggest problem military recruiters are having right now is finding people that can pass the ASVAB test (I scored in the top 2 percentile back in my day) All you need to pass is a 52, and these idjits can't do it!

We are all doomed, I thought the movie "Idiocracy" was supposed to be fiction!!
UpNSmoke

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16 14 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Handicapped" people aren't that much more incompetent then the teenagers standing around on their iphones.

"What bro?" "Aww dude!" "For Real?" "I totally forgot about that 1200 dollar catering gig, bro" "I've been texting my 15 yr gf" "Im gonna be a dad!" "Can I have a raise?" "Btw, I gotta take off for the next couple days...my dogs sick broseph." "Brb Im goin on break dude. My bro is comin by...we're gonna get so blazed!" Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Commercial BBQ All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: