FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KCBS Judging

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Competition BBQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VestDJ

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17 14 3:19 am    Post subject: KCBS Judging Reply with quote

I've been BBQing in my back yard for about four years now and, like all of us, I'm constantly trying to get better and come up with new ideas. Lately I've been thinking that taking a KCBS judging class and judging some competitions might be an effective means to that end. It also might let me know exactly where my ability stands in relation to the "professionals."

So I guess my question is, are any of you judges? If so, are my expectations correct? Is it worth the time/money/effort? Do you enjoy judging? Do you think it can help you become a better cook?

I look forward to hearing your feedback.
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17 14 3:54 am    Post subject: Re: KCBS Judging Reply with quote

VestDJ wrote:
I've been BBQing in my back yard for about four years now and, like all of us, I'm constantly trying to get better and come up with new ideas. Lately I've been thinking that taking a KCBS judging class and judging some competitions might be an effective means to that end. It also might let me know exactly where my ability stands in relation to the "professionals."

The real way to test to see where you stand is to compete, judging is a poorer method, (definitely a second best method on it's own), but if you commit the time to visit a competition on a Friday, and talk to the teams, observe their pits, ask about techniques, rubs, sauces, basically shig the hell out of them all, also note the team names, what they are cooking on. Then come back the next day and judge the contest, then go back and talk to the teams again, and if you are lucky you may be able to taste test some samples, and then wait for the scores, so you can see where those teams ended up.

Quote:
So I guess my question is, are any of you judges?

Lots of folks are judges.

Quote:
If so, are my expectations correct?

See paragraph above.

Quote:
Is it worth the time/money/effort?

Do you like eating BBQ, do you want to do it for the time and gas it took you to attend a competition? To me it was worth it, as I can't always afford to compete, but mot times I have the money to attend and judge, it's also a way to meet up with teams that I know from out of State that I haven't seen in 6 months or a year.

Quote:
Do you enjoy judging?

Yup I do, I would rather compete, but if I can't compete then judging is better than staying home.

Quote:
Do you think it can help you become a better cook?

If you pay attention to the information you get from the paragraph above, and put that together with the results of the competition, and are able to put 2 + 2 together and make 4, then your cooking may well improve, you have to have cooked enough to be able to recognize the information that will work with your cooker and the methods you like to cook with, and not be overwhelmed with all the additional tips, tricks and techniques that you learn about.

Quote:
I look forward to hearing your feedback.

If you want to start out on the competition circuit at a cheaper level, look for BackYard competitions, they often cook 2 out of 3 or 4 meats that the pro's are cooking, and are definitely a stepping stone into the pro circuit.

Go get trained, KCBS is about $100 and you could judge 45 or 50 competitions over the next year, $2.00 a competition makes it a cheap hobby!

I still work here!
OKBBQEA
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17 14 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, judging will not improve your cooking technique.

Taking a KCBS judging class will teach you what the KCBS objectively and subjectively defines as good BBQ.

Taking my personal tastes of Q into account. I would rather have a big ol hunk of Central Texas style fatty brisket in front of me than anything I've judged at a KCBS contest.

Does that mean KCBS brisket is inferior to Central Texas brisket? Not at all. It means I prefer another style of brisket.

If you want to compete then it is definitely worth being a judge. You will learn what flavor profiles the teams are using and how they are arranging their boxes. Then all you have to do is figure out how to duplicate it.

If you just want to make tasty Q. Then I would just keep experimenting in your backyard until you find something you really like.... And then experiment some more because that's what is so great about BBQ.... About the time you think you've figured it all out. You learn something new!
14.5" Weber Smokey Mountain
18.5" Weber Smokey Mountain x2
22.5" Weber Smokey Mountain
R&O Smokers Fat Girl
Ludicrous Speed Red Thermapen
VestDJ

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17 14 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses guys. There's some really awesome advice in there.

As it turns out, there is also a "Backyard Competition" connected to the event that's hosting the judge training (the day after the training), so right now the plan is to do both.

I'll pop my head back in in mid-October and let you know how it went.
qfanatic01
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11 14 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think judging will help you see the best presentations and meats. From there you need to know or figure out how to get to that end. See my thread "Long time competitor first time judge"
EastTennQcrew
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24 14 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judging will not teach you to cook. But it will expose you to different flavor profiles. It will let you see a wide range of box presentations.

I was suppost to cook in Knoxville Tenn this spring,but my tow vehicle went down. Asked if I could judge, was told I could, but ended up just helping. But that let me try what they called the grazing table. All the leftovers. Olny tried one chicken, 10 ribs, tons of pork and brisket. Learned a ton that day, flavor wise.

Judges only tried 6, I tried a whole lot more.

RandyE
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Competition BBQ All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: