FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

BBQ making me sick - need suggestions
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cat797
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30 14 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say 2 times in a row, does not a trend make........

I would smoke a couple more times and then evaluate. I'd hate to have you jump to conclusions and make a bunch of unnecessary changes (but also hate to make you sick again) because of a fluke.

I'd follow Tony's advice and increase smoking temp a little and cook some other variety of meat and check results.

Good Luck,
Ed
Weber 22.5 Performer
Chef
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30 14 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Q had not bothered you before then I would look at what has changed. First have you changed woods? Have you changed charcoal? What about rubs? I would look at what might be different and go from there.
davidnwelton

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02 14 4:11 am    Post subject: That went better! Reply with quote

I cooked at a higher temperature - maybe a bit too high, some of the food was a bit on the dry side, but that's another post. I'm not sure that was the big difference though. My wife noted that I had a Hefeweizen shortly before going to bed one of the times I got sick. Maybe the beer had something to do with it. I didn't have too much (otherwise I would have been really sure what the problem was and wouldn't have bothered asking), but maybe it just didn't sit well like that.

In any event I'm happy and healthy and had a great time introducing more of my Italian friends to barbecue, even if mine's a ways from being perfect.

Thanks!
Hotdog
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03 14 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This kinda happened to a friend of mine...... Some how he figured it to be the lighter fluid when starting the fire. Do ya use any such thing? May look into that. Didnt bother anyone else.......
BriGreentea
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11 14 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, I've been wanting to post something like this for a long time. This has been happening to me off an on too for a few years. But some foods in general due to weird texture issues, I cannot eat a lot of. Pork is a main culprit. I like the taste of pulled pork and ribs but even at restaurants that bake ribs I sometimes have trouble.

I can tell you something else firsthand. I drink a bunch of beer, especially when I'm smoking or grilling anything. Nothing better then sitting out back relaxing next to the cooker with some cold ones. I think the impact of real smoked heavy foods affects me. I have thrown up on quite of few occasions. People's body's and age change. I have given bbq I made to several people with no issues and love it but it's me. So look into your alcohol intake and you may see the problem there...I did.
davidnwelton

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11 14 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BriGreentea wrote:
Hello, I've been wanting to post something like this for a long time. This has been happening to me off an on too for a few years. But some foods in general due to weird texture issues, I cannot eat a lot of. Pork is a main culprit. I like the taste of pulled pork and ribs but even at restaurants that bake ribs I sometimes have trouble.

I can tell you something else firsthand. I drink a bunch of beer, especially when I'm smoking or grilling anything. Nothing better then sitting out back relaxing next to the cooker with some cold ones. I think the impact of real smoked heavy foods affects me. I have thrown up on quite of few occasions. People's body's and age change. I have given bbq I made to several people with no issues and love it but it's me. So look into your alcohol intake and you may see the problem there...I did.

Yeah, like I posted above, the only thing I could think of was drinking some beer close to bedtime. I wouldn't have bothered to write if I'd just got sick from too much alcohol - I know what that feels like, and this didn't seem like it. But maybe the beer didn't sit right that late.

In any event, I did some pulled pork, something brisket-like that the local butcher gave me, and some ribs a few weeks back, and no stomach issues at all. I followed some of the advice here - running a bit hotter. I had three small beers mostly with the food. So... hopefully that's the last of that.

Thanks to everyone.
RollinontheRvr
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13 14 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would also go with Tony's suggestion David. 100° C is way too low for BBQ. Leaving poultry in the danger zone that long could definintely be an issue. As for your friends not getting sick, I would have to wonder if they are native Italians. I know when I was stationed in Italy I was told NOT to eat the veggies due to the way the Italians fertilized in the area where I was at. Their intestinal fortitude could be quite a bit stronger than yours and that may be why they were not affected and you were. Just a thought but it might be something to keep in mind. What part of Italy do you live in?

Dave

Four years active duty Infantry - '81 -'85

My Local Dive Shop: Oregon City Scuba
davidnwelton

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16 14 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RollinontheRvr wrote:
I would also go with Tony's suggestion David. 100° C is way too low for BBQ. Leaving poultry in the danger zone that long could definintely be an issue. As for your friends not getting sick, I would have to wonder if they are native Italians. I know when I was stationed in Italy I was told NOT to eat the veggies due to the way the Italians fertilized in the area where I was at. Their intestinal fortitude could be quite a bit stronger than yours and that may be why they were not affected and you were. Just a thought but it might be something to keep in mind. What part of Italy do you live in?

Dave

100C is 212F, which is in the range of 'ok' from everything I've read. But yeah, I did up the temp from my earlier efforts.

Where were you stationed? Italians are pretty picky about eating good food, by and large, although the area around Naples has some issues with garbage disposal. Up here I've never heard of any particular issues about vegetables or fruits. I don't think it's anything like that, since even my parents had some when they were over and were fine.

I live in Padova, which isn't too far from the base in Vicenza.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: