FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gettin' my brag on!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr Tony's BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30 14 7:43 pm    Post subject: Gettin' my brag on! Reply with quote

Were up to 4 regular different vending spots, and doing fairs / festivals and KCBS gigs....2 spots in a small / big city 30 min North of home...3 weeks in and were breaking sales record every time we set up! All of which are higher than the 2 spots we have been setting up in for the past 2-4 years, which are also setting sales records!!
Last weekend we had our best [ and worst ] event to date!
I start off the 3 day weekend with 4 full, 6" full size hotel pans full of pork and brisket [ something I hate to do, but knew it was gonna be needed ], 3 more cases of brisket, 4 cases of pork, 4 cases of chicken thighs, 30# jalapeno sausages, 4 cases ribs and 9 cases rib tips....ALL the pork and beef was sold out by 7pm Sat.as were what ribs, tips and sausages I could fit on smoker, only had a handful of chicken sammies left...JUST as the crowds REALLY picked up ... Confused Shocked Embarassed Twisted Evil Evil or Very Mad [ thats the worst part....I was humiliated...nothing worse than a broken ego....LOL]
I had bought OUT the local GFS store of brisket and butts when they opened Sat. am as based on Fri nights sales, I KNEW I was gonna be short....Ran smoker hotter than normal, and sure enough, it ALL sold, ribs were gone by 2pm ...had ribs and rib tips stacked on top of butts, on edge leaning on walls of smoker etc..7pm Sat I am in Sam's club signing up for membership, grab their last case of brisket [ OVER $6.00 / lb...holy chit!! ] and another case of butt, boats, napkins and other misc. supplies we were out of [ my son was splitting styro sandwich "to go's to send sammies out the window ]..Didnt bother with more ribs or tips as I had no room in smoker......sure as chit, all the brisket was gone by 5pm Sunday....freaking event went until 7... Crying or Very sad Embarassed
It was a love/hate kinda thing Sat pm as I am prepping meats , watching all those /$10.00 bills walk by, seeing and hearing people say "sold out???!!!???"....probably missed out on another $3-4K.....
On the up side, I cleared almost double what I just paid for my new [ to me, 2006 ] cube van....On the down side, my wife was miserable as she talked me out of bringing the second smoker " thats 2 trucks burning gas 90 miles each way"....last time I listen to her!!...LOL...I knew I could only fit so much on the Lang, so stocked fridges / freezers accordingly...
My freaking staff is AMAZING!! The 4 of us are STILL plumb worn out!! this Sunday - cooking a couple hogs and a couple cases of chicken for a gig of 300 head 90 miles west of here...[Our name is getting out there to say the least!!]....
Being Blessed with income from my passion!
WWW.MRTONYSBBQ.COM

Last edited by Mr Tony's BBQ on Wed Aug 12 15 3:28 am; edited 1 time in total
BonzBBQ

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30 14 8:52 pm    Post subject: worn out Reply with quote

Nice job Tony, thats the kind of worn out everybody likes, question for ya, I am almost finished with my new trailer, love how yours looks nice job, up to this point have only catered and done events with tent settup, now getting into it full time and with the trailer almost done trying to secure a couple spots, I know you are up north and I am in Fl. but maybe you could give me a ballpark on what to look for as far as what to pay for a spot, any help you could give would help, thanks
Mr Tony's BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30 14 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We pay anywhere from $250 - $1000 depending on venue and amenities for 2-3 day gigs, some are 5 day for same price range, but have paid $500 for a 1 day gig plus %...its nuts! Most will supply the power needed [ I run 50 amp 220v ] Number of attendee's historically and amount of advetising they do does count! Last weekend was over 40k attendance! I often need to pay for a larger spot as our rig is 24' firebox to tongue... and we need room to work fire..Some charge us for 2 spots, some want 3 [ "normal " spots are 10-15' wide, depending on venue ] If they say 3, I usually work them down or dont attend! Work with the promoters...Many are crooks, some are not - that will come to light REAL quick! There's usually not a need to write down the bad promoters names...They usually are QUITE memorable!
WWW.MRTONYSBBQ.COM
Pkerchef
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31 14 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great news Mr. Tony . Good to see a fellow ringer doing well doing what we love to do. I hope to join in on the fun soon. The trailer is almost done and genny is on the way. Pkerchef
8.5 x 18 Haulmark concession/ competition trailer
jar
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31 14 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats Mr. Tony !!!! I love to hear success stories.
Painless
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01 14 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good work.
Papagallos

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01 14 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's outstanding!!!! It's better to sell out than not to. Heck, Franklin barbecue has a cult following because you have to get there early before everything sells out. It keeps the people coming back. I endured 5 hours in line to try his brisket and pork spare ribs. Smile
vexter1
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02 14 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CONGRATS Tony!!! That's what you like to see! We've had apretty good run ourselves this year overall - but some of the rain/heat has gotten us a couple of times - but almost every event has been a sellout but those 2.

I agree with you on the organizers - you can sure read em quick if you pay attention!

I'm working on getting setup in a usual 'spot' so people will know how to find us easier - we get a lot of 'we've been waiting a year for you to come back' when we hit events again the next year and they didn't know we had our schedule on our web page/fb pages.

It sure is a lot of work, but we truly enjoy watching the people enjoy the food and making the money doesn't hurt either Wink

Congrats again - I'm glad to hear it's going well for ya! Keep it up!
Quietman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05 14 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats Mr Tony,been following your story a bit as it has many parallels with my own. Walked away from 30 yrs of self employment in the trades to vend (non BBQ) at music festivals. I had attended these fests for years, lamenting that there was nothing different than carnival food there. Fast forward seven years and wow. I never dreamed that we could move so much food. We run at least two stands, one in the food court area with our cafe menu of paninis, wraps, hot subs etc, and one in the campground serving breakfast to order 24/7. This past weekend at Gathering of the vibes, we brewed 190 lbs of coffee alone(7,500 cups+-)Shocked And cooked over two thousand breakfast sandwiches. We have a crew that can handle non stop lines for hours/days on end.

Looking forward to adding our Q to the operation for next season but you got me thinking that the lang 84 i bought this season may have to be traded up for a double. Many of our contracts read that you can not run out of product during the event. There is a lot of people in line for your spot at any given time. The only loyalty is to the bottom line, and with the house cut at 35%...................
They already have a number in mind that your spot needs to turn for you to be invited back.

Keep killin' it Mr Tony, my hat is off to you. I will be watching and hopefully learning.
Blkandrust

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06 14 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats Mr. Tony!!!! You are on the level that I hope I can aspire to one day. Way to go!!!
Weber Kettle 22.5"
Mr Tony's BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06 14 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guy's! It is getting BRUTAL trying to keep this pace up....I just look to my bank book for relief..LOL!! November can hardly get here quick enough - I'll be Riviera May Mexico bound for a week - let someone else cater to me Wink
Gig for 300 went without a hitch, monday it looked like severe storms coming so we fire up the smoker and didnt set up at our regular spot, and boy did the phone and internet blow up with "where are you" as the storms fell apart as they got here [ if only we could microwave BBQ!!??!! ] Embarassed Still didnt find but 2-3 hrs to relax all day between catch up, clean up, shopping and stocking....Yesterday was 2 shifts 100 head - noon AND 8:30 at a factory...then they hired me for huge ribeye's next month, and their Christmas Prime Rib gig!!!!!!
I think I might be getting a bit of an ego...LOL....but am told I deserve it Wink Gonna have to go buy bigger hats if my head gets any bigger! Laughing [ I just hope it doesnt pop ]
Keep that smoke a'rollin' my Brothers in BBQ!!
Just got almost 5.5 hrs sleep!! Keep in mind, thats A LOT in my world! [ Yea, I need a nap already!]
WWW.MRTONYSBBQ.COM
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Vending All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: