FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Brisket seasoning
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeff T
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14 13 1:37 pm    Post subject: Brisket seasoning Reply with quote

I have been cooking briskets for an upcoming fair which will be use for nachos. Not worried about any loss in quality be'ins the meat will get burried in sauces and beans etc...

Anyway I have been exparimenting with different rubs and seasoning... cleaning out the cupboard so to speak. Today I ran out of ideas so I tried just plain old salt and pepper. I have read posts here on the ring about others doing this simple seasoning.

Well let me tell ya if you have not tried this yet I encourage you too! All I did way apply liberal amount of black pepper and sea salt and slap them bad boys on the smoker till done!

Best dam brisket I have cooked in a long time!
jess
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14 13 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

X2 This is one of those times when simple is best...
kurtsara
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14 13 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have tried that before but we like brisket with a rub better, unless we didn't use enough salt and pepper.

We have never cooked ahead for vending, is the quality the same?

2 Ole Hickory CTO's
Bestiverhad
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14 13 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kurtsara wrote:

No, it's better.
Let the bashing begin.

Very Happy "What would you like to drink with that?" Very Happy
kurtsara
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15 13 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bestiverhad wrote:
kurtsara wrote:

No, it's better.
Let the bashing begin.

I am just asking, not looking to start an argument.

We have always cooked overnight

2 Ole Hickory CTO's
Bestiverhad
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15 13 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Literally everyone that tries my Q either can't tell the difference, or they say it's a little better after chilling and reheating. I'm talking about pulled pork and brisket here. Not chicken for sure.

It's kinda like a good chili or veg soup. It always seems a little better the next day after all the flavors have had a chance to become one.

When I vend ribs or chicken, I cook it on the spot, but literally everything else I serve is pre-cooked and reheated.

It sure takes a lot of the work out of vending.

Very Happy "What would you like to drink with that?" Very Happy
MGeslock
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15 13 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kosher salt, Black Pepper and garlic. Cant beat it!
TheMidniteRyder

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15 13 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For our very first vend at an event this past June I rubbed 10 pork butts with SPOG, no injection, wrapped at 160 with a little apple juice and was pleased with the results. Last Saturday I did a couple racks of spares with SPOG and paprika for some color, again great results. For a comp, it's the 15 ingredient rub, for a vend it's SPOG from now on, and for a cater it could go either way depending on the amount of meat prepped.

Incidentally, the vend didn't go well (no advertizing) so we chilled the left over whole butts in an ice bath and froze. A couple weeks later thawed 2 in the refrigerator, wrapped as is, put in a pan and reheated in the over to 165. I think they were better than when they first came off the smoker. A little more tender and juicier.
Jeff T
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15 13 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew the pre-cook thing might ruffle a few feathers and that's OK. Very Happy
Most times its the only way i roll. Wink
Running a stick burner, up all night feeding it logs just aint in the mix for me. When i cook butts i have two WSM`s that i can stuff 6 butts in each one standing up on there sides. Lot less fuel and i get to sleep also. Wink Wink

Quality loss i don't think is an issue. At least people we vend too don't seem to mind or even know the difference, always get lots of complements about how good the sandwiches are. I can tell a difference but most people cant.

When i pull the butts i always add more of my rub to them. Most times i wrap in foil to catch the juices which i also add back to the butts when pulled & re-seasoned. I do the same with chopped brisket although i have to run the stick burner for larger amounts unless i just need to cook a couple of brisket i use the Ugly Drum Smoker. All that goodness go`n on... its pretty tuff for the normal person to tell if its frozen for right off the smoker fresh.
Remember now.... i live up farther north(Nebraska) than most of you folks do where BBQ is not a way of life like in the southern states.

Ribs and chicken... now that's a nuther story. I wouldn't attempt to pre-cook those cuts unless i "had too" meaning needing to be able to serve hundreds of pounds of ribs or chicken, then pre-cook and grill is the way to go. Grill on the BBQ sauce to caramelize a bit and give the meat good color.
Well that how i do it anyway.... Very Happy

Anyway try the simple approach to brisket with just kosher or sea salt and black pepper. And add some garlic like MGeslock suggested also. Sounds good!
Mr Tony's BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15 13 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Running a stick burner, up all night feeding it logs just aint in the mix for me.".....
No comprhenday Keymoesahbe..... Sleep is for the young and the dead, I aint neither ...anymore nor YET!
Up at 3am, run the log side of the Lang at 300° [ on the true tel, not actual grate temp, that's a little lower] with a couple of the smaller hunks nearest firebox....by lunch at least a few of the smaller butts and Briskets are done!
IF a few didn't sell, do the wrap and cool thing [whole] , toss them back on [ still wrapped in foil OR panned in juices and covered, uncover for last half hour to rejuvenate bark] the next day for 3 hrs before window opens....Good as gold!!
YMMV Confused Very Happy
I got a heated cambro I use at long festivals and can hold them overnight hot, put in cambro covered, pull out and uncover, toss back in pit to get bark back up to snuff....
Its all or nothing nowadays!! If a butt gets a little funny, it gets shredded and into the beans, if a butt or brisket gets a little too done, shred and sauce and its the days special [ still great ] I am actually giving out less meat as the sauce swells up the pork, so the little bit cheaper price actually makes me more profit [ I use a good bottled sauce that I get at a great price] I call sauced pork,and advertise it on facebook as "Sloppy Butt" its gets peoples attention, gets folks talking, and sells out quick!
If someone actually says "I would like a sloppy butt" we all bust out laughing [ with the customer, NOT AT ] and I throw in a piece of corn bread!! Its really funny to have some hot drunk babe holler out "hey, I want a sloppy butt" in the crowded line....AND it helps sell more!! Sometimes to the point that I take fresh butt and sauce it just to keep things rollin!!! Wink Shocked Confused Cool Laughing Idea
Being Blessed with income from my passion!
WWW.MRTONYSBBQ.COM
corndog
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15 13 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, been doing the S/P/G with a little wooster to help stick for the past few years..good stuff right there..

Dang it boy, that's some mighty fine eatin'!!!!
Lost Nation
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16 13 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff T wrote:

Remember now.... i live up farther north(Nebraska) than most of you folks do where BBQ is not a way of life like in the southern states.

I also live up north in Vermont, 20 miles from the Quebec border. I'm a long time Lang stick burner but..... last year I got a FE-100 and love it. I put beef (1/6 of a chuck roll for pulled beef) on at 5, butts on at 8 (then me to bed) ribs on at 5. Everything comes off at 8-9 then on the Lang if more cooking is needed. Life is good, happy with the FE flavor (use same cherry as Lang) and at 56 love the sleep
Jeff T
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16 13 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Tony's BBQ wrote:
"Running a stick burner, up all night feeding it logs just aint in the mix for me.".....
No comprhenday Keymoesahbe..... Sleep is for the young and the dead, I aint neither ...anymore nor YET!
Up at 3am, run the log side of the Lang at 300° [ on the true tel, not actual grate temp, that's a little lower] with a couple of the smaller hunks nearest firebox....by lunch at least a few of the smaller butts and Briskets are done!
IF a few didn't sell, do the wrap and cool thing [whole] , toss them back on [ still wrapped in foil OR panned in juices and covered, uncover for last half hour to rejuvenate bark] the next day for 3 hrs before window opens....Good as gold!!
YMMV Confused Very Happy
I got a heated cambro I use at long festivals and can hold them overnight hot, put in cambro covered, pull out and uncover, toss back in pit to get bark back up to snuff....
Its all or nothing nowadays!! If a butt gets a little funny, it gets shredded and into the beans, if a butt or brisket gets a little too done, shred and sauce and its the days special [ still great ] I am actually giving out less meat as the sauce swells up the pork, so the little bit cheaper price actually makes me more profit [ I use a good bottled sauce that I get at a great price] I call sauced pork,and advertise it on facebook as "Sloppy Butt" its gets peoples attention, gets folks talking, and sells out quick!
If someone actually says "I would like a sloppy butt" we all bust out laughing [ with the customer, NOT AT ] and I throw in a piece of corn bread!! Its really funny to have some hot drunk babe holler out "hey, I want a sloppy butt" in the crowded line....AND it helps sell more!! Sometimes to the point that I take fresh butt and sauce it just to keep things rollin!!! Wink Shocked Confused Cool Laughing Idea

Holy smokers Dude that's too much work!!!
At our age we is sapposta be working smarter not harder. Very Happy
Jeff T
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16 13 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lost Nation wrote:
Jeff T wrote:

I also live up north in Vermont, 20 miles from the Quebec border. I'm a long time Lang stick burner but..... last year I got a FE-100 and love it. I put beef (1/6 of a chuck roll for pulled beef) on at 5, butts on at 8 (then me to bed) ribs on at 5. Everything comes off at 8-9 then on the Lang if more cooking is needed. Life is good, happy with the FE flavor (use same cherry as Lang) and at 56 love the sleep

Now your talking!!!!
Yup depending on this seasons outcome I'm looking into a Old Hickory CTO or a FEC 100. I'm really liking this cook while ya sleep idea. Very Happy
vexter1
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18 13 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went from stick burning to charcoal with a Stoker and was satisfied - then I went to propane over wood (CTO style..) and LOVE it. I still get a great flavor without all the ash/charcoal mess and lots easier overall. The biggest factor in me changing styles??...when vending at fairs/festivals/events - I didn't really have anywhere to go with hot ashes - now, it's a non-issue. Just a little ash from wood chunks...CTO's are HARD to beat, esp. in a trailer.
Jeff T
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20 13 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vexter1 wrote:
I went from stick burning to charcoal with a Stoker and was satisfied - then I went to propane over wood (CTO style..) and LOVE it. I still get a great flavor without all the ash/charcoal mess and lots easier overall. The biggest factor in me changing styles??...when vending at fairs/festivals/events - I didn't really have anywhere to go with hot ashes - now, it's a non-issue. Just a little ash from wood chunks...CTO's are HARD to beat, esp. in a trailer.

Thank you sir for the info... Very Happy

Can the CTO`s be run inside the trailer or food truck?
You know... do they have those smoke evaporator gizmo`s inside the machine or exhaust to suck out the smoke when one opens the cooker door?

I`d like to have the dang thing inside... but if not mount it on a small trailer with a tin roof rustic looking setup and folding gull wing sides and have my 2x5 charcoal grill on the trailer too.
vexter1
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20 13 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff T - you're quite welcome! If you ever want to talk about it - drop me a pm with your number or call mine from my web site - be happy to talk - us vendors have to stick together and share info ya know Smile

I have my CTO's mounted in my trailer - but they're mounted in a semi-open porch. What I mean is my porch has 2 concession doors on it - so when I travel/store the trailer, it's all closed up. But when I setup and cook, the doors open for ventilation. One door is 72x48 and the other 36x48. I keep a fan running in the 36" window to draw air in and across the CTO's.

It 'can' get pretty smoky in the porch area when the wood is just smoldering and honestly, has run me out a time or two, but all in all, they work well in the environment. I did confirm with OHP that it's ok for me to run them in this setup. Honestly, I am considering a hood next year or some kind of ventilation system. But for now it's worked well.

The CTO's don't have an extractor like their big brothers, but they d shut off via switch on the door when you open them up to do work.

Hope this helps - keep us in the loop with what you decide to do! Best of luck as always!

Jeff T wrote:
vexter1 wrote:

Thank you sir for the info... Very Happy

Can the CTO`s be run inside the trailer or food truck?
You know... do they have those smoke evaporator gizmo`s inside the machine or exhaust to suck out the smoke when one opens the cooker door?

I`d like to have the dang thing inside... but if not mount it on a small trailer with a tin roof rustic looking setup and folding gull wing sides and have my 2x5 charcoal grill on the trailer too.
daddywoofdawg
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21 13 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

S/P is called dalmatian rub in Texas, about all they use there for brisket.
Char grill smoker
Weber kettle
akbarbecue

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22 13 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, we use just salt & pepper on our Brisket to. Can't beat the taste. We use to use a rub but quit after one season.
We also use the Ole Hickory CTO Smoker. It is a no brainer for operation & I get my sleep every night while the meat/beans are cooking, throw my ribs on in the morning & they are done about the time we open. We have a trailer with the CTO smoker in the back, divided off from the rest of the trailer with a wall & a screen door with glass in it. We made a vent cap to fit over each vent on smoker & joined them together in the middle to come out the top of the trailer. Works great! We also have two RV side vents to open up if it gets to hot in CTO room. Have had no problem but then we are in Alaska & it does not get quite as hot as you do in the lower 48. :wink
The Barbecue Rig
capitalism
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22 13 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Costco - Montreal steak seasoning.

Fu-geh-bout-it. Smile

Cheers,
Cap
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Vending All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: