FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Adding preservatives to snack sticks??

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rugercpl

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13 14 3:14 am    Post subject: Adding preservatives to snack sticks?? Reply with quote

Anyone adding any form of preservative in addition to cures and pH lowering additions for long shelf life? I'm planning on selling my sticks from a jar at my pub so they will be left out...but I'm also curious to know how to preserve these without Refridgeration for extended periods of time like a cowboy would want to, or if say zombies destroyed the power grids and we were back to living like it was 1805 or so. BHT is a cheap preservative for example, and said to be good for you as it's a powerful antioxidant.
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13 14 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will need to comply with your local Health Department rules for food production, or you are opening up a whole can of worms when you get caught.

Where about's in the country are you, there must be sausage makers that know the rules, etc.

I still work here!
rugercpl

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13 14 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoEzzy wrote:
You will need to comply with your local Health Department rules for food production, or you are opening up a whole can of worms when you get caught.

Where about's in the country are you, there must be sausage makers that know the rules, etc.

The health department allows me to sell rare hamburgers, raw tuna, and raw eggs. As long as nobody gets sick, then there's nothing saying these can't be sold at my restaurant as long as the meat used is USDA certified. Packaging for outwardly distribution...that's another story. That would require stricter production methods and preservatives if re-sold
at room temperature.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Sausage Making All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: