FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Garage Cooker

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fergolicious
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19 14 2:33 am    Post subject: Garage Cooker Reply with quote

Has anyone on here installed a smoke stack in their garage wall that allows you to keep your garage door shut and your pit to smoke out of a vent? I am considering cutting a hole in the wall of my garage and placing a vent like a dryer vent and then on the inside attaching a pipe to the smoke stack of my Rebel so I can smoke in my garage, with the heat on and not open my garage door. If anyone has done this, your advice would be appreciated and if any pictures are available, that would be nice as well. Thanks!
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19 14 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the latest discusions, on most of the issues!

I still work here!
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19 14 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never done it because it isn't safe without a proper vent hood system.
My advice do not do it unless proper ventilation is in place.
I hope this helps. Very Happy

Hybrid Cooker
dwilliams35
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19 14 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One big thing to think about is intake air: you're going to have to be sucking a lot of outside air in if it's running correctly: any illusion of maintaining any "artificial" heat in there isn't really realistic. Count me on the "probably a bad idea" list..
bellyrubbin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24 14 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have done it but we are talking about a small cabinet smoker not anything that is burning a large hot fire like a 120 gallon trailer (which I also have). All I did was ran some 3" pellet stove pipe out through the wall. My cabinet is fully insulated and its cook chamber is only 18" wide X 12" deep X 15" tall. The smoker seals up very tight without any smoke leaks, so it burns a very small fire (6 lbs charcoal + a few wood chunks = ~8-9 hours cook time @250 degrees). I don't think I would ever cook with the trailer indoors though. It can be done though. If you do though I would treat it as if you are running a pellet stove or wood stove through the wall using insulated pipe and insulation baffles, etc. Then you also have to notify your insurance company that you are using a wood burning appliance indoors. They may not cover you since smokers aren't appliances made to be used indoors. My smoker is in a shed that I built for cooking bbq and cleaning/curing meat. Basically its a commercial kitchen 300 feet from the house. My insurance company will not cover the shed or any of its contents in the event of a fire and they also will not cover any damage to my property or anyone else's either if they determine the fire originated from the shed (and the smoker was being used indoors when it happened). Everything is covered however if the smoker was used outdoors.

Don't mean to scare you but should you have a fire and they determine it originated from your smoker that was in your garage and the insurance company didn't know about it, you likely won't be covered for anything.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: