FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Skinless Sausage

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BBcue-z
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25 14 7:40 am    Post subject: Skinless Sausage Reply with quote

Kofta Kabobs are skinless sausages, they’re traditionally made with lamb or beef or a mixture of both and very popular around the Mediterranean. They’re cooked on wide skewers since they have no casing to hold them together.
I decided to try pork butt this time using Kofta techniques, since pork butt has high fat content. Kofta tastes so much better when it’s made with fatty cuts just like any sausages.

I started with pork butt, which I cut up into cubes

I then marinated the meat in a mixture made of puree of onions, tomatoes, and chili peppers with some spices over night. I could’ve gotten ground pork, but I wouldn’t have been able to use liquid marinade for the fear of making the mixture too wet and falling off the skewers. So I decided to marinate the chunks of meat prior to grinding them.

Used my Kitchenaid to grind the mixture

Used the dough hook to mix the meat with grated onions, fresh parsley

Got Sumac (Mediterranean Thyme) and pomegranate molasses to drizzle on the sausage once the were done
Also made yogurt sauce (Tzatziki sauce) to go with it

I have to say, this was the most difficult Kofta I’ve ever made. It was hard to mold the meat due to it’s fat content or may be the texture of the pork. I’ve made this with lamb and beef many times in the past without any issues. But I was able to pull it off at the end.
Here are a couple of test skewers. I wanted to make sure the seasoning was good and see how it would hold up to the fire.

added the rest of skewers

and some veggies

Grilling is done and dinner is served Smile

Served the sausages on tomato/chili flat bread topped with onion relish, parsley and drizzled with pomegranate molasses, yogurt and Sumac.

This was very tasty and challenging meal. Despite having problems molding the meat onto the skewers, they all stayed on the skewers and I did not lose not even one Very Happy
If you ever made sausage with ground pork, you’d now how that stuff melts at room temp, but I proudly did it even without sausage casings Smile
luke

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29 14 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not just make patties?
kempshark

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29 14 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you mind if I ask what kind of grill you're using? Want to find a grill for doing satay and other southeast Asian kabobs. That looks maybe a little bigger than what you see street vendors using over there, but could be modified or Satays cooked from both sides.
BBcue-z
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29 14 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luke,
I have made patties in the past, but I had to cook them on a grate and pre-freeze them, which is OK, but not a traditional way of doing this, and they weren’t sausage shape Smile

Kempshark,
These are called Mangal grills, they’re designed for Kabob cooking. I have used them for Satay and Yakitori in the past. I just place a metal bar across the center of the grill, since the skewers are shorter and put the Satay on both side of the bar so I had double the space.

I bought them at Amazon.com, but unfortunately they’ve been out of stock for a while Sad

They have removable insert for easy cleaning and removable legs for easy transport

They come with grates, but I use them grateless for Kabob cooking

You can also use a Dutch Oven Table to make one, just add an additional wind shield to create four sides

If you have a Weber Kettle, you could place a metal plate or small cast iron pan in the center and place the skewers in a circular fashion like this:

I also use my Chargriller and just separate the grate to create a space based on the size of the skewers

I hope this helps, let me know if you need additional info.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Sausage Making All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: