FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

firebox air vent?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DAVIDB

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21 14 7:30 am    Post subject: firebox air vent? Reply with quote

hey guys. I have a question that's the smartest I've ever asked. anyway, I cut the air vent to adjust the air for the firebox in the top by mistake yesterday and i'm pretty sure it should be at the bottom. but having never used a firebox before, could I get by with it at the top? or is it like I suspect and really need to be at the bottom to get air under the fire inside? thanks guys, David
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21 14 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is like you suspect.
The intake air should enter the firebox under your coal bed.

Hybrid Cooker
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21 14 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best thing to do is to turn the fire box, (or the whole pit), upside down, and then learn to cook on it! Wink

I still work here!
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21 14 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoEzzy wrote:
The best thing to do is to turn the fire box, (or the whole pit), upside down, and then learn to cook on it! Wink

New concept of "Reverse Flow"? Rolling Eyes Laughing
bellyrubbin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24 14 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's kind of funny SoEzzy mentioned flipping it over because I designed a reverse flow cabinet smoker that has the firebox on the top. I just built an extremely small prototype using aluminum foil lined plywood to test everything out but I am going to building a full sized unit now that I have the air intake and everything figured out.

Basically it is going to look like a gas grill with a cabinet below it. There will be exhaust vents on the cabinet as well as a hinged lid. The plan is to get a fire going the same way as you would for a charcoal grill and when you close the lid you can either open the exhaust vent on the lid and you have a grill or you can keep those closed and open the exhaust vents on the cabinet to cook foods in the bottom like a smoker. The cook chamber will have the exhaust exit at the very bottom into the chimneys that will run up the outside of the cabinet. I have all of the sheetmetal prints done so now when I get a few extra dollars I will have the sheetmetal laser cut and bent. Tricky part was getting the air intake to work properly to use it for both smoking and grilling, but Ive got it!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: