FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Beef sticks with Pork

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gizzie285

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16 14 3:11 am    Post subject: Beef sticks with Pork Reply with quote

I make a lot of beef sticks and generally just use 80/20 hamburger with the seasonings. I was wondering if I could mix the hamburger with a 60 percent pork mixture . Would it taste basically the same as straight beef with the seasonings mixed in?? The reason being beef is sooo darn expensive... Thanks.. How about using straight pork??
Gray Goat
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16 14 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a link to one of my favorite stick recipes and it is all pork. Give it a try Very Happy

http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=65812

Home made offset
Weber gasser
Weber kettle
UDS
Large BGE
Masterbuilt 30"
gizzie285

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17 14 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks gray goat. I was just wondering the taste of the pork to the taste of the beef. Maybe all you taste are the spices and smoke and it is hard to tell the difference.
loungefly

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18 14 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made my first batch of snack sticks two weeks ago using a spice mix from Cabela's. I was really pleased with how they turned out except I had a temp spike at the end that slightly dried them out. But I'm happy with them considering they are my first batch. And my 11 year old son keeps inhaling them so they must be good.

I made 10 lbs using 80/20 hamburger, 5 lbs using pork butt and 10 lbs using a 50/50 mix of the 80/20 hamburger and pork butt. They are all good. But my son and I agree that the 50/50 snack sticks tasted closer to the beef than it did the pork. But there certainly was a difference between all three batches.

CharGriller Pro
DPP Fat 50
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Sausage Making All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: