FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Update for an old team.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Competition BBQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rock'n S BBQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02 15 11:15 am    Post subject: Update for an old team. Reply with quote

Hey everyone, long time no see. Hope you're all doing well and Happy New Years!

We've been out of competition since March of 2013. Had a split with our teammate and he got the big smoker we had. We're back on our feet and ready to hit a few comps in 2015. We compete in Oklahoma and will start in Shawnee at the Fire Lake Cook off.
I thought I would check here and see if anyone had any advice for us on new rules and such.
I know there were concerns about how Oklahoma was handling peoples choice for example. Has there been any changes that we should know about? At one time I had seen where other states had the 3 tub rule, I think one even had to have bleach in it. We did not in Oklahoma at that time, it was pretty much up to teams on ethics.
Can't wait to see everyone again. Sure missed the action and people.

A big ole offset beast.
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02 15 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which sanctioning body are you cooking with?

If you go with local food handling Health Department practices, you can't go wrong, if they want wash, rinse and sanitize, just go with bus tubs, if they want to check sanitize strength,get yourself a test kit from your local restaurant supply store.

KCBS now allows you to separate pork shoulder and return it to the pit for further cooking. That has made a difference to the way some folks cook, going back to other older styles, or not if that doesn't fit your style!

I still work here!
Rock'n S BBQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03 15 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank You, that is great news. I like the idea. It's not always easy to catch it just right so some parts slice while other parts fall apart. I think I'll use this.
As for the tubs, I was wondering if they started enforcing that here. other states were but not in Oklahoma. We use a travel trailer with hot water but it just has 2 small separate sink basins. I might be able to email a rep just to be safe.
Thanks for the info.

A big ole offset beast.
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03 15 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Contacting the reps is a good idea, when I've been involved in peoples choice and I used my RV, the HD did not want to enter the RV to check things out... but as with all things if the only thing missing is the sanitize and the air dry, offer one tub for the sanitize, and a draining board for the air dry.

The other option is to use tools for all food handling, and have multiple sets of the tools, so that you don't need to run out of clean, therefore you don't need to wash on site.

I still work here!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Competition BBQ All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: