FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fire Box ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Neth's Redneck BBQ

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13 15 7:53 am    Post subject: Fire Box ? Reply with quote

getting ready to order a reverse flow smoker from Shirley Fabrication and they offer a upgrade on a insulated fire box and it is kinda pricey . does a insulated fire box really help that much ? the steel is 3/8 inch thick and would like your guys opinion , thanks .
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13 15 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off let me say that you could not have chosen a better fabricator to build your cooker. Paul and Tyler are Top Notch Fabricators that build cookers that work.
For every person that says no it does not help that much there are just as many that will say yes it does.
My opinion is if you are going to insulate the firebox you should be looking at insulating the cooking chamber as well because your heat loss there matters more in my opinion.
Believe me if they were so much more efficient Bahama Mama would be sporting one, in fact cooker for cooker size wise I burn about 5 splits more than one with an insulated firebox.
I hope this helps. Very Happy

Hybrid Cooker
Neth's Redneck BBQ

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13 15 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was kinda thinking not getting it because it a $600 upgrade but thought maybe lining the bottom and sides of the fire box with fire bricks would be good enough . just me thinking but heat rises and as long as you got a good draft pulling air though the smoker it would be okay with out . thanks for you imput .
Cat797
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13 15 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neth,

I insulated the firebox on my offset mainly because I knew there would be little kids around when I was smoking and wanted to be able to touch it with an instantaneous burn happening. To that end I succeeded, however, I'm still throwing sticks in her every 45 minutes to an hour, which I would bet k.a.m. is also doing. So, is say you aren't going to gain much that way from insulating, but I do think that with my design and the insulation recovery time from opening the door is minimal. Others with non-insulated fire boxes may also feel that temp recovery is a non issue as well though.....

I'd say that I don't think I'd spend $600 for that option.....

Good choice for a pit. You will be very happy with it!

Ed
Weber 22.5 Performer
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13 15 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on a couple of things IMO, where you cook, (temporal zone), and availability of cheap wood.

Up here in Utah with colder weather and lack of "cheap" available wood, it can be worth the extra cost on the front end, to help reduce the cost on the back end.

Insulated fire boxes don't cool down as much uninsulated ones when it rains, and while the size of the cooking chamber affects the flow of the smoke more, the draw is IMO more important to the cooking, than the temperature of the chamber. With the firebox it is the reverse, if your firebox gets cold and wet, more heat from the efficient burn in the firebox, appears stay in the firebox keeping it warm, and cooking temperatures drop accordingly.

So like all things, you pays your money and you takes your choice, I would consider it a worthwhile investment on a cooker I was going to use up here, maybe wouldn't if it was not as cold, wet, windy, and cheap wood was readily available.

I still work here!
Neth's Redneck BBQ

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13 15 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the good advice guys . i live in Missouri and we do have some cold winters but i do have my gravity fed Stump's smoker and temps do not affect that beast at all and i am thank full to be able to buy cords of Hickory for $150 . i just miss tending a stick burner and keeping it at temp .
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13 15 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A cord of Hickory out here is about $400 if you can get it.

Apple, Peach, Apricot somewhere between $280 and $320.

I still work here!
Neth's Redneck BBQ

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13 15 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ouch dude !!! i guess i am lucky my neighbor has a apple orchard and i get all the apple i want and can not keep up with what he wants cut down and he has never sprayed with pesticides . i do not think i would smoke if i had to pay those prices .
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13 15 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL that's the trouble with this addictive pastime, I Jones if I don't get to smoke some meat every few days! Wink

I still work here!
Neth's Redneck BBQ

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14 15 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also just noticed they have a 1/2" fire box option and that would save me $250 and I would think that thick of steel would be better than a insulated one . any thoughts good or bad idea ?
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14 15 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neth's Redneck BBQ wrote:
I also just noticed they have a 1/2" fire box option and that would save me $250 and I would think that thick of steel would be better than a insulated one . any thoughts good or bad idea ?

My thought is on a long cook once the firebox has reached its heated temperature the value of thicker metal is reduced because you are expelling your radiant heat. If you want to retain the heat efficiently then an insulated firebox is the correct option.
I hope this helps. Very Happy

Hybrid Cooker
Neth's Redneck BBQ

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14 15 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks guys for all the info Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: