FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kcmo local wanting to tag along to see how it's done

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Competition BBQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AC_IN_KC

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20 15 10:43 am    Post subject: Kcmo local wanting to tag along to see how it's done Reply with quote

I've never done a competition and want to start, I just need to learn a little more before I spend any more on toys Smile
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20 15 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look on the KCBS calendar for competitions near you, roll up on a Friday, ask questions, show interest, don't be a dick... go back on Saturday, turn up to the awards, and cheer and clap for any teams you spoke with.

Do that and you may be treated as a friend and get to taste some of their food, if you do get to taste it, give them an honest opinion if they ask for it.

Go to a couple of competitions, see the same competitors meet and greet those that you recognize, repeat until you either take the judging class, or become a competitor yourself.

I still work here!
bam
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25 15 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good advise So Ezzy.Friday after cooks meeting is a good time to say hi and ask questions. If there is a one or two man team ask to wash dishes or be a runner.
rgwiazdzinski
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09 15 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the kcbs bullsheet paper has a looking for smoke section you might put your info on there.
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10 15 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had and took the chance on a couple of occasions to hang with Big Ron at some cook-offs over in Houston. A lot to see and learn that differs from any back yard cooks. I even got to wrap a rack of ribs or 2. The k.a.m. man and MRS KAM were on hand as well. During some lulls in the action, k.a.m. and I strolled the grounds checking out cookers and chatting with some teams, stopping by Zilla's spot (Giant BBQ Team), Rich from Gator Pits, and even received a fairly lengthy tutorial from Victor and George from Pitmakers including some tasty samples. Somewhere in the day I was also introduced to Jose of Pits by JJ who was checking out the action.As mentioned in another post, I stayed for the awards and cheered on Big Ron, Zilla and some newfound friends. Great stuff for one looking into the world of comp BBQ! Very Happy
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10 15 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bam wrote:
Good advise So Ezzy.Friday after cooks meeting is a good time to say hi and ask questions. If there is a one or two man team ask to wash dishes or be a runner.

For some like myself, Friday night is prep night and I have very little time to visit. Saturday between turn in is a great time to visit in my opinion as most of the hectic stuff is done.
Know when to back off if the team is busy, most teams do not want to be rude and ask you to leave but if they look busy chances are they are busy and have very little time to visit.
I enjoy visitors and meeting folks, I welcome them in our area all the time, but if I need to get busy on something I will excuse myself and go do what I need to do.

Hybrid Cooker
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Competition BBQ All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: