FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

may do my 1st amateur comp.. have some questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Competition BBQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cadmaster
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10 15 9:58 am    Post subject: may do my 1st amateur comp.. have some questions Reply with quote

Im building up the courage to do an amateur bbq competition this year (central florida).. I’ve came a long way from when I 1st started with basic questions on this board and think it would be fun.. at the very basic level though..

My question, and I know every comp is different.. but “typically”

- do I have to enter butts/brisket/chicken/etc? or can I just get into one or 2 of them?

- Is there a site someone can recommend that talks about how to tray the food?

- being amateur.. am I going to be the only one with a standard little char broil offset smoker?

And of course, if anyone has suggestions about applying sauce in comps, rules, etc.. any other basic stuff.. it would be greatly appreciated

Sorry for the basic questions.. but appreciate the help!
gotwake
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10 15 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

- do I have to enter butts/brisket/chicken/etc? or can I just get into one or 2 of them?
You typically can enter one or two, but you wouldn't be eligible for the Grand Champion (Typically)

If the event is sanctioned (Sounds like it) The head judge will tell you how to tray the food.

- being amateur.. am I going to be the only one with a standard little char broil offset smoker?
Maybe, but nearly all of us who do competition bbq started with a charbroil off set or something along those lines. Don't be ashamed, I have seen many cooks win Big on those smokers.

We are here to help. What sanctioning body is the contest?

And of course, if anyone has suggestions about applying sauce in comps, rules, etc.. any other basic stuff.. it would be greatly appreciated

LIAR #99
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10 15 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: may do my 1st amateur comp.. have some questions Reply with quote

cadmaster wrote:
Im building up the courage to do an amateur bbq competition this year (central florida).. I’ve came a long way from when I 1st started with basic questions on this board and think it would be fun.. at the very basic level though..

Depending on the competition, some have 3 or 4 meats for the "Pro's" and and only 1 or 2 for the backyarder's, the fee to enter covers both meats, you generally need to cook the set number of meats, if you are trying to win the GC or RGC in either Pro or Backyard, but if all you want to cook is the one meat, it's normally not against the rules.

Quote:

There are sites like BBQ Judges and Judge my BBQ, (can't find the URL, I hope someone else has it, it might me a facebook page), where people post pictures of their turn in's and others critique them.

Quote:

No you wont be the only one, I've seen all sorts of cookers from char broils, and Weber kettles, up to home or professionally made trailered offset or reverse flows

Quote:

Everyone ha different things, if you want to see what is being turned in, go along to a couple of competitions before your event, and see what that organization does for judges, if you can't get in to see the judging, at least hang out and observe as much as you can.

Most BBQ teams don't mind you walking past and asking questions, about their pits, best scores, wins and sometimes even losses, if you turn up on a Friday evening or a Saturday morning you can pick up a lot of pointers, just be up front with them about your desires and aspirations, most folks will try and steer you in the right direction.

We all started somewhere, just be sociable and you'll get plenty of good advice.

I still work here!
Bubba's BBQ Shack

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16 15 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our next comp is March 19 in Okeechobee. Give shoot me a pm and come hang with / cook with us and see how you like it. Best way to get into bbq comp, is dip your toes in on the cheap
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Competition BBQ All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: