FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Now what?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BBQ Guy
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01 15 5:35 am    Post subject: Now what? Reply with quote

Ok - I have 14.3 lbs of butts ground coarse and 4.5 lbs fat back ground the same. I need a couple of ideas for easy recipes...right now, i'm thinking the basic breakfast sausage and an Italian. Am I on the right path...is there something else I should try? What about a chorizo? This is the first attempt...nothing like swinging for the fences right off with this much meat. But, the butts were a twin pack...so, I had to grind them both as they thawed at the same time. I will attempt to post pics with the sausages suggested. I do have a stuffer and the casings...but, just wanna concentrate on doing a bulk first.

Another question. Would I lose any quality if I don't use the whole amount of meat...just freezer wrap what I don't use and freeze it for maybe next weekend? Granted, I'll have to grind it again...no biggie. My grinder is a freakin beast.

Thank you in advance!
LEM - .75 hp #12 & 15 lb stuffer
Homemade smokehouse in my tobacco barn
Cat797
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03 15 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both breakfast sausage and Italian would be good, and if you have some Instacure #1, I would suggest hot smoked Polish, such as this one that Rick (Canadian Bacon) did. I just made this recipe and it is fantastic........

http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=62230

Let us know what you come up with.

Ed
Weber 22.5 Performer
suckaass
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03 15 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you should make whatever sounds good to you. If you're just starting out, I would recommend making a couple smaller batches until you find recipes that you really like. Mix it up, fry a little test patty, adjust the ingredients until you get the flavor you're looking for. I'll sometimes add spices to a recipe that weren't called for to suit my taste. That way you're not stuck with 10lbs of sausage that you don't care for.

You can freeze the remaining pork, and use it later without any problems. I'm not sure that you'd have to re-grind it though.
BBQ Guy
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05 15 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok - I did a basic breakfast sausage and left it loose. I also did a Hot Italian sausage based on Griffin's recipe. The difficult part is the stuffing...I'm not sure of the amount to stuff into the casings...i.e., it seems that parts of the casing got real full and other parts are too loose. Look at the pic and give me your thoughts...how much pressure do you put on the stuffing process, how do you keep the meat on a consistent fill? Several times during the stuffing it felt like back pressure blew air back on the outside of the horn into the casings ready to be stuffed.

Last edited by BBQ Guy on Thu Mar 05 15 5:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Cat797
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05 15 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BBQ Guy,

I can't see your pics. Are you copying the img code from photobucket?.........

Hopefully you are using a good vertical stuffer...Even still, it is a learning curve to figure out how much to stuff in the casings.....I try to keep them fairly tight and sometimes it is too much when I try to twist off links. I like to stuff all of it first and then tie off links which can be challenging. I usually leave a bit of casing at the end to allow me some room to play with. As I'm tying off links, I will move some towards the end if I think they are too tight, and likewise will move more meat into a link if I think it is too loose......Even veteran's still have blow outs every now and then. Tie off on either side and keep moving. Laughing

Best of luck,
Ed
Weber 22.5 Performer
BBQ Guy
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05 15 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been playing with photobucket...should be posted now. Couldn't get the sizing right. Yes, I am using a dedicated stuffer...I got a great deal on a LEM 15 lb. stuffer.
Cat797
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05 15 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those look pretty good to me BBQ Guy......I judge more by feel, and if you go to twist off a link and have a blow out, well, she was too tight! Shocked

I think those will grill up nicely.......

Ed
Weber 22.5 Performer
suckaass
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07 15 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BBQ Guy - Like Ed said, there's a little bit of a learning curve. The more you do it, the more you'll get a feel for it.

I like to crank my stuffer till the tube is full, and there's a slight bit of sausage protruding from the end before I slide the casing on and tie off the end.
I also get some air blow back around the tube in the casing during the stuffing process, but it's generally not an issue. I just make sure that go back and pop the air pockets with a sharp tool (I use a small fillet knife) after twisting the links.

You can leave the links a little loose if you're afraid of blow outs. They'll plump up a bit when you cook 'em Very Happy
BBQ Guy
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08 15 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well - i did have some blow outs...I think i might have used the wrong size tube for my casings. I used the middle sized tube instead of the larger one. The casings are the 32-35 mm sized. Not sure if that made a difference, but it appeared to push the meat into the casing a little faster that I was anticipating. Granted, this was the very first stuffing I have ever done; so, I may be talking out of my butt. So, my question is now...does the size of the stuffing tube matter? I get that a small casing is not going to fit onto the larger tube. I'm more inquisitive on whether I used the wrong size tube.
Cat797
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10 15 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those sized links, I generally use the medium stuffing tube. I don't want the casings to be too tight on the tube. I get air coming back on the stuffing tube sometimes, but I don't worry about it too much. I like to keep the casings kind of wet so that they are slippery, and the air just moves to the end as I keep stuffing. I also do as suckaass does and run my meat mixture out to the end of the tube before sliding on the casings.

Also, looking back at your original post, if you grind meat and freeze it, I don't think you have to regrind it to use it. You know where it came from and you know what size it is....I'd just thaw it and use it.

Ed
Weber 22.5 Performer
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Sausage Making All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: